PDA

View Full Version : Greg Koch - Signature Licks

Steffe1973
April 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi!
Got the Greg Koch - Signature Licks yesterday and I can really recommend it.
I want to collect some great DVD´s on how to play the blues. So far I have
Robert Renman at www.dolphinstreet.com DVD A, and the HD videos from Anthony at www.steviesnacks.com, and the Greg K.
Does anyone else know a good DVD similar to the ones I just mentioned?
I like the simplicity of the videos with close ups and the licks both fast and slow. Am I the only one or is it not great to put the DVD in and hook the guitar and amp and just play???

Anyway, take it easy!

Steffe

M29
April 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hello Steffe,

I have a few Greg Koch DVD's. He is an excellent teacher and player. I have the Blues DVD, the Lynyrd Skynyrd DVD, which are both excellent and the Guitar Gristle DVD which is not all that great but might be for some.

I have a couple Guitar Method (In the style of) DVD's that I do not care for much.

Hope this helps.

M

Jipes
April 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I have one of his DVD the Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature licks and it's really a great DVD lots of tricks on how to approach the style of this true master. the section on Albert King's tune is a "must" imho.

What I like is the presentation of the songs in a trio format wher you ca really here how is supposed to sound like ;)

I would also recommend the Duke Robillard hot Licks series (i still have the VHS tape) It's great and absolutely crystal clear explanation of the style of all the old masters including T Bone walker Guitar Slim and several others !

Steffe1973
April 18th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks,
M29 and Jipes, I´ll look into the Stevie DVD

Steffe

marnold
April 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
On the SRV licks DVD does he teach whole songs/solos or just selected bits?

Jipes
April 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM
On the SRV licks DVD does he teach whole songs/solos or just selected bits?

For most songs he analyses the rythmn patterns and then dissect the solo, for some songs he gave an extended lesson on the style of playing specially on the "Albert King like" songs that Stevie does (Crossfire). He does the demonstration of the licks at slow motion which help a lot

The volume that I have contains
Aint gonna give up on love
Couldn't stand the weather
Crossfire
The house is rockin
Empty arms
Riviera paradise
Sctulle buttin
Stang's swang

One important thing there's no notation or tab you have to pick the things by yourself ;)