PDA

View Full Version : Old Computers

Robert
April 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Check out a random top of the line computer at http://www.old-computers.com/news/random.asp

I think the Whirlwind was pretty impressive.
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1047

It weighed several tons and cost $708,909 :eek: !!

Tone2TheBone
April 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
The Commodore 64!

SuperSwede
April 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I love old computers.. I wish I still had my trusty old Spectrum! :)

And my atari... amiga...genesis...486...

sunvalleylaw
April 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I had my original '84 Mac for years. I kinda wanted to turn it into a fish tank, and light it from underneath so the fish would swim around in the light like some kind of screensaver.

kiteman
April 16th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The Commodore 64!

Ah, the good ol' days. That was a fun computer and I learned basic and assembly languages on it. I wrote a lot of video games and sold one to Compute! magazine.

I was one of the diehards who refused to let go from the c64 and a friend bought me a 286 system to make me get off of it. :)

I lost interest in programming then.

stingx
April 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
All I did on my C64 was play Zork!!! I loved all those old Infocom word interaction games. I bought the Treasures of Infocom several years ago to preserve them all.

KrisH
April 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I was one of the diehards who refused to let go from the c64 and a friend bought me a 286 system to make me get off of it. :)

That sounds familiar -- I "traded" mine up in 1995; gave the C-64 to the kids. I'd already given them the TI 99/4A. But I still keep an Apple IIc in the garage and fire it up from time to time just to reminisce . . .

kiteman
April 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM
That sounds familiar -- I "traded" mine up in 1995; gave the C-64 to the kids. I'd already given them the TI 99/4A. But I still keep an Apple IIc in the garage and fire it up from time to time just to reminisce . . .

Heh, I started with the TI 99/4A. That's where I started basic programming and I went got a c64 when I kept running out of memory.

It was in the mid 90s that I gave up the c64. Might as well as there's no more interests in them.

Katastrophe
April 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Ah... memories... Getting on the ol' Atari 800XL, attached to a black and white TV for a monitor, with the clackety clack of the dot matrix printer and the WHIRRRRRRRR of the old 5 1/2" floppy disk drive. With my 800 baud modem I had blazing speed to contact my buddies. It was great fun. My favorite video game at the time, F15 Strike Eagle, took so long to load that I could pop in the disk and go have lunch. It would be waiting on me, ready to go, when I returned about 20 minutes later. The whole shootin' match probably cost my parents what my Dell cost me 20 years later.

Did a lot of stuff in BASIC. That was what they taught in school. I'm so glad that I learned it. It's been SO useful in the real world.:thwap:

stingx
April 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Old stuff still stored somewhere abouts:

Apple IIc
Commodore 64G
IBM AT

I missed the good old, early days when the internet wasn't graphical, overcrowded by any means, and had no spam. I think I preferred it much better when it was just geeks participating.

SuperSwede
April 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
All I did on my C64 was play Zork!!! I loved all those old Infocom word interaction games. I bought the Treasures of Infocom several years ago to preserve them all.

Ah yes the old infocom games.. I used to love playing those text adventures.
Do you remember "Colossal Cave" the grandfather of all text adventures?

I also have fond memories of the later "point and click" games such as Sierra games and Monkey Island.

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Ah yes the old infocom games.. I used to love playing those text adventures.
Do you remember "Colossal Cave" the grandfather of all text adventures?

Is that the one that Josh was playing in the movie "Big"? ;)

SuperSwede
April 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Is that the one that Josh was playing in the movie "Big"? ;)

hmm.. I actually havent seen "Big" but I dont think that i´ve missed out on something special..