PDA

View Full Version : Online gaming

Tone2TheBone
April 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
HALO! I can't believe how dang fun it is to play it online with people all over the world. Do any of you play? What's your Halo login name? :beer:

marnold
April 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I play online, but not Halo. I've played Unreal Tournament III and a little Resistance: Fall of Man. I hope to play some Warhawk soon.

In the past I've played basically all of the Doom, Quake, and Unreal Tournament games online. My brother-in-law and I played a little X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter with each other too.

Unfortunately it seems I either have time for gaming or for guitar, but not both.

stingx
April 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I big on playing on Steam servers...TF2, Insurgency, Counter-Strike as well as Crysis.

Robert
April 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have yet to sign up of Xbox Live. I guess I will soon... and I'll get Halo 3 too someday. After Orange Box.

Danzego
April 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I do a bit of online gaming, though with the connection I have (I have to use Sprint PCS, since there's no other broadband provider in my area), I hesitate to challenge anyone to a duel because the high pings I get make it hard to dominate anyone in First Person shooters.

Instead, lately I've stuck to Phantasy Star Online (not a very fast paced game. It's like a very scaled down MMORPG that works on missions instead of one continuous world; easy to play for just a couple of hours and get away from) but I DO like to play a little bit of Team Fortress 2 on Live and Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 from time to time when I have the time.

SuperSwede
April 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I dont play online (lack of time) but I really love Halo.. Best shooter ever :)

ted s
April 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Is there a Halo for Mac ?

Danzego
April 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Halo is a Microsoft published title. You draw the conclusion from there. ;)

Jampy
April 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Time for VMWARE FUSION :thwap:

run windows on your mac

Danzego
April 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM
How much of a performance hit is there running Windows on a Mac (and I don't mean the typical one someone would expect from running Windows in the first place :P )? If there is one, this might be a consideration when wanting to play Windows games. :)

SuperSwede
April 18th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Halo was made by the old mac software house "Bungie" and was originally intended as a mac ONLY release...
Halo was first displayed on a Steve Jobs keynote at Macworld Expo.

That said, Halo is also available for Mac but I prefer the Xbox version due to the fantastic xbox controller.

stingx
April 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I just put this together to emphasize how amazingly detailed COD4 is. I have the specs in the video description. Very addictive gameplay because of the realistic detail.

LLKp2sSMT00

stingx
April 18th, 2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.stubble.org/hngd/iw3sp%202008-04-18%2023-35-12-23.jpg

ted s
April 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Holy crap Stingx, that looks amazing. I would imagine you need some serious HP under the hood to run that ?

stingx
April 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Holy crap Stingx, that looks amazing. I would imagine you need some serious HP under the hood to run that ?

Thanks, Ted. Serious HP and you have to sell your soul to the devil.

Danzego
April 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM
That said, Halo is also available for Mac but I prefer the Xbox version due to the fantastic xbox controller.

Well, what do ya know? Color me corrected!! :beer:

Justaguyin_nc
April 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Looking around here.. (eyes shifting)
there seems to be enough people that play online to make a Fretnet community online..:)

And seeing we are all cheap.. and on different platforms... is there any one certain FPS demo out there that we could all join in on?

Might only need to hold 10-16 guys/gals... anyone with cable could probably host that.. depending on game..

was just thinking out loud...

I know the Call of Juarez is cheap but PC... and pretty intense on system requirements. Ohwell, maybe something OLD that is fun..
justa for sheeets and giggles..

the free Juarez demos can be found here if anyone wishes to mess with them..

Multiplayer Demo
http://www.gamershell.com/download_15252.shtml
Single Player Demo
http://www.gamershell.com/download_14784.shtml

I would be up for Joining or Hosting/serving to others interested.

Umm..need a smiley with a gun! :)

ted s
April 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Neat idea Justa. installed Fusion on my Mac and can XP now, I'll give it a whirl and get back atcha.

a little while later..

Nope, "not gonna do it" .. big barf... meaning she no worki.

stingx
April 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Anyone that cares to play either of the following, shoot me a PM any time:

Counter-Strike Source
Team Fortress 2
Insurgency (free HL2 mod that's fantastic)
Call of Duty 4

Justaguyin_nc
May 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Insurgency (free HL2 mod that's fantastic)

Hey Sting. Thanks for mentioning Insurgency! http://www.insmod.net/ For ONLINE PLAY!
After seeing all the talk about the Orange Box and never playing TF2
I broke down and got me a copy...
While TF2 is alot of fun.. it's to much run,shoot and die for me..
and a bit comic natured..which looks great though!
I would have liked to see Counter-strike: source included in the package.
Seeing how it was not...
Insurgency looks like the next best thing.. and FREE!
I got stuck on it today playing for hours!!!
If anyone has HL2 and likes a more realistic type battleshooter for NOTHING give it a shot!
-fTCO7ZE-uE
http://www.insmod.net/
Thanks again Stingx!

Also have been playing the Call of Duty 4 Demo.. it's a pretty game. but not free!

Tone2TheBone
May 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Dang dude I guess you got your systems rockin' in all the right ways to be able to talk to us lowlings about the latest games you're way able to play on your high end computerski. hahaha If I know you the way I think I know you... then yeah, well that's just a given.... :D

Justaguyin_nc
May 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Ya know computers are not that expensive any more..

You could get a 400.00 box at wally world in the 3 ghz class.. add a 100.00 graphics card
and play any game out there on XP/Vista.. for the price of a MIM Fender...;)

One thing nice staying with the orange box stuff... you can play it on a old computer or a laptop even..

Oh yes..you can do the same on a MAC..for the price of a Gibson... :poke:

Justaguyin_nc
May 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I haven't a clue how anyone can play Call Of Duty 4 ONLINE!! lol

I have never died so much in my life!!

I had to break down and get the full version to try Multiplay..

it's actually a great game on Singleplayer..

But the Onlineplay...man, those are small maps for so many people!!

and the airstrikes!! LOL!

Sting how do you play it..:)

stingx
May 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I haven't a clue how anyone can play Call Of Duty 4 ONLINE!! lol

I have never died so much in my life!!

I had to break down and get the full version to try Multiplay..

it's actually a great game on Singleplayer..

But the Onlineplay...man, those are small maps for so many people!!

and the airstrikes!! LOL!

Multi play is what makes this game so hot. I haven't touched another game since buying this. I play daily for at least one hour. It took a while to set my controls just right and make custom classes for the various maps but I now get many kills and am quite dangerous, especially on the map Overgrown!

Dude this game just looks and play gorgeous. Very realistic. I am hopelessly addicted and I just reached the rank of Colonel I :thwap:

Justaguyin_nc
May 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Agreed , it looks awesome... Overgrown is a neat map.. most are.. I even like pipeline... I just can't keep jumping and shooting as much as the others..lol. I like playing Knife only sometimes.. if I can find under 10 player games.. more than that and I just can not keep up!! I think the Jumping kinda takes away from realism... as does rushing.. but overall its pretty neat.. just not as paced as insurgency which lets you take a breath between kills..:)

stingx
May 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I can set up a private server if you like. You can get some practice time in and I'll make the maps end quickly - say 500 points. This way you get familiar with the maps and develop better coordination with your controls.

Lemme know cuz I'm gonna play in a bit and it's no imposition to start up a server for a little while.

Justaguyin_nc
May 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I can set up a private server if you like. You can get some practice time in and I'll make the maps end quickly - say 500 points. This way you get familiar with the maps and develop better coordination with your controls.

Lemme know cuz I'm gonna play in a bit and it's no imposition to start up a server for a little while.
cool..but we have to put our JV's down to play...shhhh...

this and crysis are my reasoning for newer graphics card...

I am not to fond of Crysis play though.. but it LOOKS very nice!!

stingx
May 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Well, OK, you did ask. Created as a result of your post.

Ofe4N1m97d0

Just a quick FLV. Forgive the quality but the original capture from my system was over 3gb so I made a 700k FLV conversion.

Edit: hmmm I may redo this. I play 16:9 and I don't think the conversion took this into account. It looks a bit squashed. Anyway, the point is to illustrate to others how hectic this game is.

Justaguyin_nc
May 25th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Well, OK, you did ask. Created as a result of your post.

Ahhh cool..you die alot to...lol!

I am finally ignoring the sounds and trying to pick out the badguys! which is another problem for me... just a red scaf seems to be the difference..lol

Tone2TheBone
May 26th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Ya know...dyin' sucks big time. ;)

Justaguyin_nc
May 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Ya know...dyin' sucks big time. ;)

Well, I gues if you can respawn in under 20 seconds it aint to bad..:)

I am getting more into this now.. Search and Destroy is a bit better with less than 16 players.. when ya dead..your dead... till next round ofcourse..:)

stingx
May 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
There are many ways to play. I personally like "old school" - no radar, no hand holding, no respawn. Makes you play better cuz you know you'll be sitting out for some time if you go all berserk all over the place.

Justaguyin_nc
May 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
There are many ways to play. I personally like "old school" - no radar, no hand holding, no respawn. Makes you play better cuz you know you'll be sitting out for some time if you go all berserk all over the place.

Old School lets you jump twice as high as normal and you'll be able to soak up more damage..

Give me Hardcore mode...:) I didn't even realize.. now finally..a game people can't hide behind wooden fences.. you just shoot thru them!! Most excellent!

Tone2TheBone
May 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Yeah I dig surprises too. Keeps you young...somewhat. :D

Justaguyin_nc
May 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah I dig surprises too. Keeps you young...somewhat. :D

did the wife let you know she is pregnant TB? SUPRISE!!!

TB have you tried that insurgency mod yet with your HL2?

Great FREE addition... and I know a few others here that have it..;)
:poke:

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
did the wife let you know she is pregnant TB? SUPRISE!!!

TB have you tried that insurgency mod yet with your HL2?

Great FREE addition... and I know a few others here that have it..;)
:poke:

I was just thinking about that today Justa as a matter of fact. I was going to email you about it earlier too. I can't access the links you sent me for the mods from work cause they're blocked but I can do it from home now that we have broadband. Problem is there I'll have to bring whatever I download back here cause I do the gaming on this machine not the one at home.

Justaguyin_nc
May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I was just thinking about that today Justa as a matter of fact. I was going to email you about it earlier too. I can't access the links you sent me for the mods from work cause they're blocked but I can do it from home now that we have broadband. Problem is there I'll have to bring whatever I download back here cause I do the gaming on this machine not the one at home.

Hmm.. u could always download it and put it on a cd-dvd.. than redo it at work.. I am wondering if you will be blocked from playing it at work than to?
it's for ONLINE play only...

:thwap:

ever play TF2 at work?

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hmm.. u could always download it and put it on a cd-dvd.. than redo it at work.. I am wondering if you will be blocked from playing it at work than to?
it's for ONLINE play only...

:thwap:

ever play TF2 at work?

It is? Oh crap then yeah I'll be blocked from playing it. The only games I have that I play on this machine are Halo, Starcraft, Marine Sharpshooter and Half Life 2: Episode Pack. I don't have TF2. Since Half Life 2 is a Steam game I just load off the disk and run it in offline mode. Oh yeah I forgot I picked up Ghost Recon 2 at lunch today but haven't loaded it yet. I'm buying all the cheap games first then I'll get Crysis and the new military/dinosaur one (can't remember the game name). Maybe I'll have Voodooman build me a new box for home gaming use. :AOK:

SuperSwede
May 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
The only games I have that I play on this machine are Halo, Starcraft, Marine Sharpshooter and Half Life 2: Episode Pack. I don't have TF2.

Thats the only games you have on your work computer? ;)

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Thats the only games you have on your work computer? ;)

Let me rephrase that...those are the games I've played on this machine...but currently only have HL2 loaded on it at the moment. This machine is....hmmm who's machine is this anyway I dunno.....beats me....

;)

Justaguyin_nc
May 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
LOL... must be a tough Job with JUST that many games to play while working...

to bad no HOME machine... Rockettee has some parts available that would go great with that Home Broadband!!

SuperSwede
May 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Let me rephrase that...those are the games I've played on this machine...but currently only have HL2 loaded on it at the moment. This machine is....hmmm who's machine is this anyway I dunno.....beats me....

;)

I have Spades and Hearts on my computer.. and minesweeper.
Unfortunately it has some kind of Novell app that doesnt allow me to install productive software such as Civilization.

Justaguyin_nc
May 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
T2TB...if you want to test out your computer at work as to how well it can keep up... get Medival II total war for offline play.... and get into a castle battle... once again the reason why people need these topend graphics cards.. so intense... but ofcourse not as productive as CIV...lol.. Productive software...heh...

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Of course I only participate during lunch hours. For real dude.

Justaguyin_nc
May 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Oh yeah I forgot I picked up Ghost Recon 2 at lunch today but haven't loaded it yet. I'm buying all the cheap games first :AOK:

GRAW2 is another great one..I think I paid like 3.99 and 5.00 shipping off ebay..great deal! COD4 might beat it as far as graphics.. online play.. they about equal.. your not gona get up and run down the road in GRAW2..lol.. your going to creep along and wet your pants...:beer: