PDA

View Full Version : Half-life 2 fans?

Robert
April 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I just love Half-life 2! I am almost finished now, looking forward to starting the Orange Box.

Any other Half-life 2 fans? It's my favorite game in this genre. Beats any Halo game, hands down! :D

marnold
April 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I bought Half-Life 2 for the PC and played it through Cedega in Linux even though my box wasn't up to the Windows specs. Let's just call the framerates "puke inducing." I picked up Orange Box for my PS3 for my birthday. I played through Half-Life 2 again, Episode 1, and Portal. Portal is a blast--that's where the quote in my sig comes from. I began Episode 2, but haven't finished it yet.

stingx
April 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Robert I just finished Episode 2. Great game. I enjoy playing Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2 nightly for an hour or two to vent.

6c4wlnoKyX8

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Can you get Half Life for Windows XP? Halo 2 doesn't work on XP unless you download some crazy patch for it somewhere and I want a new game.

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Just looked at some info on this game. I'M GETTING IT TODAY!

Robert
April 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
You gotta get Half-life and Half-life 2! Some of the best games I've ever played. The storytelling aspect is awesome. It's interesting to play these games - they are huge worlds and so much cool stuff to do. These games will do a good job of keeping you away from your guitars and amps.... :)

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
You gotta get Half-life and Half-life 2! Some of the best games I've ever played. The storytelling aspect is awesome. It's interesting to play these games - they are huge worlds and so much cool stuff to do. These games will do a good job of keeping you away from your guitars and amps.... :)

I have to have some kind of balance in my life. A little guitar here and there...a little gaming...a little hunting and fishing. I must balance Robertsan!

I haven't read up on Half Life...only the second one. The second one looks like a good one to start with. I don't have a problem breaking into a story like that and then going back to revisit the beginning. Kinda like Star Wars. ;)

Robert
April 17th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah, Half-life2 is fine to start with. It looks better than the 1st one of course. I am getting the new ones that come with Orange Box. Awesome stuff dude!

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'm considering trying X-box 360 this year if the price drops a little.

Danzego
April 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I was playing Half Life 2 for a bit, until I got stuck on it. It wasn't really far into the game and I hit a point where I could get no further without backtracking. Mind you, that seems to happen frequently in the game and I just need to find where to go next, but I just couldn't in this one spot. So, being a man of a million games that still need to be played, I stopped. I intend to pick it back up some day, but not until I finish the original Half Life.

The Orange Box is a great deal, though, and (as mentioned) Portal is a great game. I also really enjoy Team Fortress 2. I've played other titles with Capture the Flag and Attack and Defend type multiplayer games, but each character is so different and specialized in Team Fortress 2 that it really makes the game interesting and gives it a ton of character. :)

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm gonna look into the games you're talking about DZ thanks.

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Ok wait a second. The Orange Box is a compilation of 5 Half Life games? Is this the one to get instead?

Has anyone played any of the F.E.A.R. games?

Jampy
April 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
The Orange box is by far one of the best PC game values out there.

TF2 - been playing alot and they have added new features
http://pc.ign.com/articles/866/866930p1.html

Love all of the HL series.
:dude:

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Half Life Episode pack is in da house!

SuperSwede
April 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Half Life Episode pack is in da house!

Whoho.. your in for a treat brother ! :R

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ok I got a question though. On the install it doesn't seem to be installing from the DVD...it set up a "Steam" account and I'm assuming that application downloads the game on your PC. Right?

pes_laul
April 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I bought Half-Life 2 for the PC and played it through Cedega in Linux even though my box wasn't up to the Windows specs. Let's just call the framerates "puke inducing." I picked up Orange Box for my PS3 for my birthday. I played through Half-Life 2 again, Episode 1, and Portal. Portal is a blast--that's where the quote in my sig comes from. I began Episode 2, but haven't finished it yet.
i love portal! MAkes you think alot in that game. (and yes that song at the end is kinda of creepy, kinda of catchy though)

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ok update. I did 2 installs today on 2 different PCs. The first update I messed up and had to uninstall the whole thing and start over. When I loaded the first episode of HL2 it took all of 4 hours to load! It loaded the game online. Thinking this was "normal" I allowed it to finish. The second install on another computer only took 15 minutes to load the first episode.

:confused:

On the second install I noticed that the install menu showed that it was loading "off the DVD" and was loading batched or archived files or something. Same DVD...different computers. Maybe I screwed up the install on the first PC.

First install on PC #1 yielded excellent results. The game graphics are indescribable. It blows Halo: Combat Evolved away. I started the first level just to see if it worked and well yeah it does...and very well. Only thing is that I can't climb out of that dang hole at the beginning. :D Newbies happen. The controls are similar to Halo and other PC FP games on the keyboard. Figured out how to get out of the hole but the question is why does the weapon only fire on something that you're "supposed" to fire on? Can you change that or is that part of the gaming engine? I'm currently running PC #2 which is a dog compared to #1 so I don't care to venture further than the hole until I get back to PC #1.

Second install went fast but I found that the video card is way obsolete for this game. Game runs but the characters are missing their skins (PC #2). :rotflmao:

I'll be pm'ing some of you on tips and walkthrough info. :AOK:

Naz Nomad
April 18th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I'm not a console user, and have played the entire Half-Life collection to death.

Got HL1 when it was released ... (must be 10 years ago) ... it still remains my No.2 all-time favourite game, just below HL2 on the list. :dude:

stingx
April 18th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I killed 3 hours playing Crysis last night. That game is just amazing. I'm looking forward to Farcry 2 being released this fall. Love realistic FPS games!

Justaguyin_nc
April 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I got both versions of HalfLife laying around here someplace.. never finished either as offline games...
I really enjoyed the counterstrike online play when it was first made for a few years..

Nothing beats Rainbow Six series though (IMHO) and Vegas 2 has just come out for it..
IbgM1gi9YnE

Anyone playing R6 Online?

Farcry is pretty good too.. will probaly get FC2 also.'

As far as a 360.. I already have the PS2 recently purchased collecting dust..
I think I will stick with PC gaming.. for full effect!

Back to the original question
HalfLife is a must if you never played it...

stingx
April 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I just picked up Call of Duty 4 from Best Buy! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

duhvoodooman
April 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
...I'm looking forward to Farcry 2 being released this fall.
The original Far Cry was one of my favorite FPS games, and was visually just stunning. I also found it to be one of the hardest games I every played. The last couple of levels were just brutal. I almost quit at one point--something that has NEVER happened to me in a PC game before. (I refuse to use cheats.)

An FPS that I really enjoyed was Painkiller. Really unusual levels & weapons (I loved pinning zombies to walls with the stake gun!), and great secrets and bonuses to be found. And the "tarot card" feature was quite unique, allowing you to modify your player's abilities.

For humor content in an FPS, the Serious Sam games were great, particularly the first two. "It's all fun & games until somebody loses an eye!" LOL!! :rotflmao:

Justaguyin_nc
April 22nd, 2008, 04:22 AM
This talk of HalfLife2 reminded me..
they always have had a good Mod community.

Here are a few I liked..

Revoluntionary War Mod.. looks pretty good
Battlegrounds 2
FV6HGnKQguQ
http://www.bgmod.com/

And

Fistfull of Frags for a Western taste
kESLA-n_4sk
http://www.fistful-of-frags.com/

I use to enjoy an old Western Game called OUTLAWS by Microsoft..1997

The last year or so Ubisoft released a Polish made game from Techland
called Call of Juarez
9Be9Ml9ON5w
http://www.callofjuarez.com/

It released for 50.00 bucks but can be had for as little as
$20.00 brand new on E-Bay.. Pretty good story line for Single Player mode.
Playing one of two roles..
Also, pretty good for Online play.. well worth 20.00 but probably not 50!
There is also a Single Player and MultiPlayer Demo to check it out.
if'n ya feel like playin in the Old West.

Robert
April 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
How does this game Mod stuff work? Do people have access the to game code from Valve and can use it to make a different game?

Justaguyin_nc
April 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM
How does this game Mod stuff work? Do people have access the to game code from Valve and can use it to make a different game?

Exactly... then there is usually an install doc with the mod to walk you thru it.

CounterStrike actually was a mod before Valve took over.. or did they?

it's all free..it's all fun.. and you are already use to the controls.

Danzego
April 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
CounterStrike actually was a mod before Valve took over.. or did they?

IIRC, they hired the Counterstrike guys on. :)

Robert
April 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
So who did the original code development then? I still don't understand how all this stuff works. Making all the graphics and scenes and engaging levels of playing the game, etc is no small feat. It's still pretty much a whole new game anyway, isn't it? So why do they call it a Mod? Because they are reusing the code framework from the original game? And what people are doing these Mods? Not just anyone would have enough brains to make a new "Mod" - I imagine you would need a whole team of skilled programmers and designers to get anywhere with it.

Justaguyin_nc
April 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
it's very time consuming Robert.. A whole team would be very helpful.
But then everyone has to have the same goal..

Most is just scripts..like your cgi, perl and plain text.. and changing them..

the makers of the games usually release tools to help you along.
Or Some nice smart student someplace makes them..:)
Skin programs..Map editors.. etc etc..
Alot of games come with Map editors to help you make your own maps for local or Online play.
Hmmm Maybe a Fretnet Map hosted by Robert is in order? :)
I use to enjoy making maps for RainbowSix series and S.W.A.T.3 4 ,
but again.. time consuming...

If a game is Modable.. there will be tools for it or created for it by someone.

Here is some links to show what goes into making mods..well partly..

Source engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine
Valve Map Editor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Hammer_Editor

Tone2TheBone
April 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
The Juarez one looks cool.

Jampy
April 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Here is another cool mod for HL2

http://www.zombiemaster.org/index.php
:bravo:

marnold
April 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
It's a "mod" because what they created a new gametype, maps, characters, etc. Most everything else was reused, e.g., network code, collision detection, graphics subsystems, physics, etc. Companies don't release all of the source code. They release an SDK so that modders can build on what is already there.

id Software eventually does release all of the code for their engines under the GPL.

Tone2TheBone
April 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Alright you HL2 players I'm stuck...

I'm in 'Low Life" in the parking structure where there are 3 hives/holes that I have to put cars in to stop those damn spider things. Remember this one? One car is on the bottom level and another on the 2nd and the last one is behind a locked cage on the 3rd. I can get 2 cars on the holes with the gravity gun but I keep getting attacked when I try to open that damn stupid slow turning wheel to open the gate on the top level. When it's almost about to open completely a stupid spider thing is on my back and Alyx can't kill them fast enough for them to leave me alone to open the stupid gate. When I try to run up to the top level to do that first Alyx gets killed below trying to fight off the spider things.

:flamemad:

What is the best method of putting all the cars into the holes and surviving???

marnold
April 23rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
You've got to get all three cars over the holes ASAP, otherwise you'll never get the door open. When I did it I just had to concern myself with me, not Alyx.

Tone2TheBone
April 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Getting 2 cars over the holes is easy. I think there is something that I'm not doing right. I keep getting swiped at the wheel that opens a gate where there are 2 medical things and I don't think that's the right gate I'm supposed to open? Am I missing another gate that opens the last car?

marnold
April 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Getting 2 cars over the holes is easy. I think there is something that I'm not doing right. I keep getting swiped at the wheel that opens a gate where there are 2 medical things and I don't think that's the right gate I'm supposed to open? Am I missing another gate that opens the last car?

From Wikicheats (http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Half-Life_2:_Episode_One_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Walkthrough#Lowlife):

SPOILER WARNING!

To get to the third car, head up to the third level. It's located above the entrance you came in. Use the beams above the center of the room to get there. If you lose Alyx along the way, don't worry because she'll meet up with you before you leave. You'll have to jump down into the room with the car. There is a Zombine there. He often blows himself up with a grenade, so stay away from him and use the shotgun.

Turn the wheel you see here to open the gate. Push car over the edge and into the Antlion hole.

Tone2TheBone
April 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
From Wikicheats (http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Half-Life_2:_Episode_One_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Walkthrough#Lowlife):

SPOILER WARNING!

To get to the third car, head up to the third level. It's located above the entrance you came in. Use the beams above the center of the room to get there. If you lose Alyx along the way, don't worry because she'll meet up with you before you leave. You'll have to jump down into the room with the car. There is a Zombine there. He often blows himself up with a grenade, so stay away from him and use the shotgun.

Turn the wheel you see here to open the gate. Push car over the edge and into the Antlion hole.

Yes! Thanks to you pastor for the tip I finally did it.

Those stupid spider thingies anyway....

I finally made it outside the parking structure (why didn't someone tell me it was going to be dark and creepy!) My best laugh of the day was when we emerged into the level with the elevator to make our escape and Alyx starts to make a Zombine sound behind me...then giggles and says "gotcha". That dang $#&*$ hahahahaha That was a good one though and I'm finally outta that bad bad place. :thwap:

marnold
April 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I finally made it outside the parking structure (why didn't someone tell me it was going to be dark and creepy!) My best laugh of the day was when we emerged into the level with the elevator to make our escape and Alyx starts to make a Zombine sound behind me...then giggles and says "gotcha". That dang $#&*$ hahahahaha That was a good one though and I'm finally outta that bad bad place. :thwap:
My favorite part of Episode 1 was after you get to a safe house when you've been listening to the scientist's broadcast. Alyx said something to the effect of, "Did he really just encourage people to get busy?"

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
My favorite part of Episode 1 was after you get to a safe house when you've been listening to the scientist's broadcast. Alyx said something to the effect of, "Did he really just encourage people to get busy?"

Gotta love those little comments. I had a hard time killing (and trying to stay away from) the monster in the street. I lucked out and got rammed up to the balcony that Alyx was firing from so I didn't sustain any more attacks and between the two of us we finally killed that thing. So if anyone else can't get past that point...try to get rammed up that ledge. :)

SuperSwede
April 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Gotta love those little comments. I had a hard time killing (and trying to stay away from) the monster in the street. I lucked out and got rammed up to the balcony that Alyx was firing from so I didn't sustain any more attacks and between the two of us we finally killed that thing. So if anyone else can't get past that point...try to get rammed up that ledge. :)

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with HL2!
I really need to buy the orange box for my X360!

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with HL2!
I really need to buy the orange box for my X360!

Yeah this is pretty cool stuff. I'm almost done with Episode 1. I started E2 the other day but just played it a little to make sure it worked. I'm gonna pick out a few more games soon too. I love PC gaming.

Robert
April 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
It's a pretty addictive game, isn't it Tone? I love Half-Life 2. I don't understand how you can be almost done it already! You must have spent a lot of time with it. Bet your guitars are getting dusty.

SuperSwede
April 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah this is pretty cool stuff. I'm almost done with Episode 1. I started E2 the other day but just played it a little to make sure it worked. I'm gonna pick out a few more games soon too. I love PC gaming.

You really need to get Gears of War! Nothing like berzerking the enemy with a chainsaw!

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
You really need to get Gears of War! Nothing like berzerking the enemy with a chainsaw!

Could have used that chainsaw on the street monster in HL2! :saw:

Robert
April 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I just finished Half-Life 2! What a sweet game. I guess it's Orange Box next.

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I just finished Half-Life 2! What a sweet game. I guess it's Orange Box next.

How long did it take you to finish it? I don't go through levels really fast but I do play it everyday. Some kids say Episode 1 is short and say you can do it in a couple of hours. HA! Yeah right if you're a kid or something you could. :) I just blasted the gunship in E1 so that's where I'm at now.

Robert
April 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Well, for me it took months! It's a HUGE game, in my experience.

Where are you at in the game, what is the level called?

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well, for me it took months! It's a HUGE game, in my experience.

Where are you at in the game, what is the level called?

Blasted the gunship at the top of that building on Urban Fight. Now I joined up with the rest of the gang in the square near the big blue blocked off tunnel...level Exit 17.

Robert
April 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I guess you are playing a different game than me? I have been playing Half-Life 2, the older games. These are the levels in it:

Point Insertion
A Red Letter Day
Route Kanal (Part One)
Route Kanal (Part Two)
Water Hazard (Part One)
Water Hazard (Part Two)
Black Mesa East
We Don't Go To Ravenholm (Part One)
We Don't Go To Ravenholm (Part Two)
Highway 17
Sandtraps
Nova Prospekt
Entanglement
Anticitizen One (Part One)
Anticitizen One (Part Two)
Follow Freeman (Part One)
Follow Freeman (Part Two)
Our Benefactors
Dark Energy

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I guess you are playing a different game than me? I have been playing Half-Life 2, the older games. These are the levels in it:

Point Insertion
A Red Letter Day
Route Kanal (Part One)
Route Kanal (Part Two)
Water Hazard (Part One)
Water Hazard (Part Two)
Black Mesa East
We Don't Go To Ravenholm (Part One)
We Don't Go To Ravenholm (Part Two)
Highway 17
Sandtraps
Nova Prospekt
Entanglement
Anticitizen One (Part One)
Anticitizen One (Part Two)
Follow Freeman (Part One)
Follow Freeman (Part Two)
Our Benefactors
Dark Energy

We have different games then. I don't know what yours is but my game is Half Life 2: Episode Pack which has both Episode 1 and 2. I'm almost done with Episode one which had these levels...

1: Undue Alarm

2: Direct intervention

3: Lowlife

4: Urban Fight

5: Exit 17

Episode 2 which I'm almost about to start has these levels...

1: To The White Forest

2: This Vortal Coil

3: Freeman Pontifex

4: Riding Shotgun

5: Under The Radar

6: Our Mutual Friend

7: T-Minus One

My game case looks like this...

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/848120022a9760.jpg

After doing a Wiki search you have Half Life 2 stand alone. It's an entirely different game. Go to the link and read the expansions and modifications paragraph to see the timeline in the games and how they differ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2

marnold
April 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
In the game chronology:
Half-Life 2 is first
Then Episode 1
Then Episode 2

Technically, the original Half-Life predates them all. The Orange Box is not a game per se, it is a compilation of HL2, Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2.

Tone2TheBone
April 30th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Well now Half Life 2 Episode 2 crashes when I try to play it. I've updated video drivers, changed video settings, defragged computer, defragged game cache, validated game integrity etc. etc. and it still don't work. Episode 1 and Lost Coast work perfectly but I notice they're using the same engine (Havoc) while Episode 2 is using "Source". :(

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
You need Xbox 360.

Tone2TheBone
April 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM
You need Xbox 360.

Well that doesn't help!

:saw:

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 01:27 PM
It would help, if you had one, wouldn't it!
:poke:

Tone2TheBone
April 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
It would help, if you had one, wouldn't it!

So you played your version of HL2 on X-Box then? I thought you played it on a PC? BTW how is your Macbook Pro doing? You can run Windows XP on it right?

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I run HL2 on the Xbox 360 yes. No PC gaming for me. Stopped doing that about 11 years ago... :)

The MacBook Pro is doing DANDY! It's a little power horse of beauty and elegance. I have no desire to put XP on it (why infect the Mac with crapware?), but it is possible, yes.

Tone2TheBone
April 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I run HL2 on the Xbox 360 yes. No PC gaming for me. Stopped doing that about 11 years ago... :)

The MacBook Pro is doing DANDY! It's a little power horse of beauty and elegance. I have no desire to put XP on it (why infect the Mac with crapware?), but it is possible, yes.

Well you have to run XP if you want to use the computer on a network run with PC integration or whatever the frik you wanna call it. The business and work worlds still run on PCs. You mac people need to understand that! Your little specialized group and your aires about how absolutely perfect macs are UGH it just makes...me...sick sick sick!

:D

(waits for the fun posting to resume again it's too quiet around here)

:rotflmao:

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well you know...

http://www.themaclawyer.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/31/mac_vs_pc_3.png

Tone2TheBone
April 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
.....and those mac commercials UGH they're the worst!!!

LMAO ;)

marnold
April 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
PS3 all da way :)

Danzego
April 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM
PS3 all da way :)

Not for Orange Box. 360 version runs better. :poke:

marnold
April 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Not for Orange Box. 360 version runs better. :poke:
I don't have an Xbox 360 for a comparison, but I've made it through all of the parts of the Orange Box except Episode 2 and haven't noticed anything worth all the crying online about it. Having said that, I've heard that Ep2 is the most notorious offender so we'll see.

Even if it is slower, it comes without MSEvil (tm)

Tone2TheBone
April 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well I just read somewhere online where you can fix video bugs in the PC Episode games by changing the allocation of RAM code in the game launch options........ ??? Apparently someone added a " at the end of the 256K RAM designation and that's what's causing the video and audio lag. Answer is to backspace on the ". Ohhhhkay I'll give that a whirl what the hay.

Since I deleted all of Steam I'll have to reload it to try again. *sighs* I hate computers......

oh shut up mac people! :P

Danzego
April 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Even if it is slower, it comes without MSEvil (tm)

Yeah, but it has SonyEvil (tm) instead. Either way, you're boffed. ;)

marnold
May 1st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, but it has SonyEvil (tm) instead. Either way, you're boffed. ;)
Point well taken. Although Sony allows you to install Linux on the PS3 which helps mitigate the Evil somewhat. Note that I said, "Somewhat."

Justaguyin_nc
May 2nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Well now Half Life 2 Episode 2 crashes when I try to play it. I've updated video drivers, changed video settings, defragged computer, defragged game cache, validated game integrity etc. etc. and it still don't work. Episode 1 and Lost Coast work perfectly but I notice they're using the same engine (Havoc) while Episode 2 is using "Source". :(

Possibly the best tweaks on the net can help...

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

Hope it helps..he usually is very good and right on the mark.

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Wow that's a lot of information. Thanks Justa.

Robert
May 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I just got the Orange Box. Cool box! Lots of stuff in there.

What the heck is Fortress 2? You need to play over a network it seems? I don't have Xbox Live yet.

Half-life 2 Episode One is sweet. It seems to actually have a little harder "puzzles" to solve than the previous game. Awesome.

Danzego
May 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I just got the Orange Box. Cool box! Lots of stuff in there.

What the heck is Fortress 2? You need to play over a network it seems? I don't have Xbox Live yet.

Yeah, Team Fortress 2 is a team based online multiplayer game. There are some pretty cool modes in it (I like Attack/Defend where one team is trying to stop the other from taking over their checkpoints). The part I really like is the diversity in the players. It's not like other games where all the characters are the same. All of the classes have different strengths and weaknesses and abilities, so you play each of them much differently than you would another.

As such, it takes some time to really learn, but it's really a cool, interesting game. :)

SuperSwede
May 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
oh shut up mac people! :P

What? ;)

Tone2TheBone
May 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I said shaddup! :P

Actually Robert's got a point by playing on the Xbox. Games for PCs are sometimes hard to match up with the right hardware specs. Better to stick with gaming modules.

SuperSwede
May 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Consoles are much more smooth to use... it always works and you dont need to spend an entire afternoon to get a excellent playing experience.
That said most games can look better on a PC but usually that involves a lot of high end (read expensive) parts and a finely tuned system.

Justaguyin_nc
May 8th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I said shaddup! :P

Actually Robert's got a point by playing on the Xbox. Games for PCs are sometimes hard to match up with the right hardware specs. Better to stick with gaming modules.

Well, the PC games usually have more content and larger content.. so it's a toss up..play a game on a game console.. or experience a game on a good system....:)

Tone2TheBone
May 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well you got good taste my friend...cool guitars and cool computer systems and coooool gaming. :master: :)

marnold
May 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
If you like HL2, you'll like this. The Gman gets jiggy wit' it.

zfm_z-Ir1tM

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
That was a good one marnold. Finally got Episode 2 to work. After several weeks of tweaking stuff and trying various video drivers I took to seeking advice from Voodoo and Justa and got my answers. I'm back in the hunt bam bam bam.

Robert
May 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I finished Episode One. It felt a bit short, but it was fantastic and Episode Two is looking even better.

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The parking garage in E1 was especially creepy. I kept getting mad at my flashlight cause it would die out so quickly and the stupid beam was so narrow.

Robert
June 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
I finished Episode 2 now as well. The end was a little difficult, but I persevered!

I can't help feeling like the games were a little on the short side, compared the original Half-Life 2, which took a long, long time to finish. Still really great games too. Now I am waiting for Left4Dead and Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

What new game should I now get? :confused: Halo 3?

Danzego
June 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
That's why they were "Episodes", Robert. ;)

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
I loved the final boss level battle at the end of HL2 E2! Took me a while to get the hang of destroying the hunters with the logs...then tossing the sticky bombs on the striders then switching over to a weapon. I kept saving a lot.

Robert
June 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
What? You mean could destroy hunters with logs? I didn't know that. :whatever:
I just ran around like crazy and tossed those Magnussons. It was hard... I saved a lot too.

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2008, 11:49 PM
What? You mean could destroy hunters with logs? I didn't know that. :whatever:
I just ran around like crazy and tossed those Magnussons. It was hard... I saved a lot too.

After I did that part I thought maybe I could have knocked out the hunters with the car by running into them but I never tried it. I tried fighting them off but I kept getting killed so I just left the car at the sawmill and ran like hell when the first wave came after each reload. :rotflmao:

I should have just gotten Orange Box in the first place because it comes with E1 and E2 AND it comes with the regular HL 2 which is what I recently bought on Ebay. I only paid $8.00 for it but it was used and loaded. Apparently it comes with 5 disks that I have to load so I'm thinking that it will work without having to submit the activation key through Steam. Since I already have my own Steam account I wonder if I can use those used discs without trouble getting it to load? Does anyone know? The weird thing about Steam/Valve products is that they seem to want to run the application online so that you have to activate your key code for the game. BUT you can also get them to load the game off the cache files on the disk directly as you normally can with regular PC games. >>>??? It's really weird. I hope to be able to load the used HL 2 disks even though the seller said the activation key was already submitted to Steam. Xbox 360 and Wii are starting to look good to me now..... ;)

Robert
June 2nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
I dunno Tone, I'm a 100% Xbox 360 gamer!

I tried the car for killing the hunters, but that didn't work at all.