PDA

View Full Version : pinch harmonics

Squireman131
April 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
any advice i can get them like 1/3 of the time i try, im running out of a older model peavey rage 158 and a danelectro FAB metal pedal. im also using a squire affinity strat. i know the technique to do it and i can do it its just i cant get it all the time.

Danzego
April 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Ah, I remember when I first learned artificial harmonics and they only came out a fraction of the time. *sighs nostalgically*

If you're getting them, but just not all the time, the best advice I feel anyone can give is to just keep working on it. You'll get used to the different way you have to dig in at different places on the neck and on different strings over time.

Speaking of which, you'll have an easier time getting them on lower strings and on lower frets. Also, cranking up your gain also helps them ring out. As you get better, you'll figure out how to get them all over the neck (again, you have to dig slightly differently on different strings and spots, but that will be second nature after awhile).

ted s
April 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
You talking ala ZZ Top squeal ? Like Danz says, keep practicing, keep choked up on the pick, pretty soon you'll be doing them by accident.

Kazz
April 20th, 2008, 04:29 AM
You talking ala ZZ Top squeal ? Like Danz says, keep practicing, keep choked up on the pick, pretty soon you'll be doing them by accident.

I do not recall ZZ Top using this technique....Zakk Wylde is the one I hear using it most of the time.

Not saying that ZZ did not or do not use it....and if they do I would appreciate someone letting me know a song they use them in so I can check it out.

Kazz
April 20th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Oh and to stay live with the topic....I suck at them.

pes_laul
April 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I also got a question under this subject. I can do a pinch harmonic basically anywhere but I can never do sort of a zakk wylde one on my lower strings. does anybody know how he does them. (maybe lower tunings?)

wingsdad
April 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I do not recall ZZ Top using this technique....Zakk Wylde is the one I hear using it most of the time.

Not saying that ZZ did not or do not use it....and if they do I would appreciate someone letting me know a song they use them in so I can check it out.
:thwap:
La Grange
Legs
Just the 1st 2 that come to mind of Billy Gibbons doing what ted s describes - "choking the pick". Attacking with just a bit of the tip of the pick and the edge of the thumb striking just about simultaneously.

Katastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
:thwap:
La Grange
Legs
Just the 1st 2 that come to mind of Billy Gibbons doing what ted s describes - "choking the pick". Attacking with just a bit of the tip of the pick and the edge of the thumb striking just about simultaneously.

...and play with a Mexican peso coin.;)

Danzego
April 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I also got a question under this subject. I can do a pinch harmonic basically anywhere but I can never do sort of a zakk wylde one on my lower strings. does anybody know how he does them. (maybe lower tunings?)

Zakk Wylde does tend to use lower tunings, especially in his more recent Black Label Society stuff, but that's not really how he gets sound. He's recorded everywhere from drop A tunings up to standard tuning on various albums and he still has that signature thing going on not matter what the tuning is.

Zakk's harmonics have more to do with what he actually does with the note. He has a really wide, quick vibrato when he hits artificial harmonics. Basically, pick the note and quickly yank the heck out of the string. You'll get it after a while. ;)

pes_laul
April 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM
cool already it's starting to work better

Kazz
April 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
one down....just finished listening to La Grange and I will be darn if I can hear the pinch in there....maybe my ears just do not recognize it, if it is not in the Zakk style.

I do hear it kinda in Legs tho....still not as pronounced as Zakk.

Danzego
April 21st, 2008, 07:32 AM
one down....just finished listening to La Grange and I will be darn if I can hear the pinch in there....maybe my ears just do not recognize it, if it is not in the Zakk style.

I do hear it kinda in Legs tho....still not as pronounced as Zakk.

"The" pinch? Kazz, almost the entire last minute of the song is nothing BUT pinch harmonics. I listened to La Grange just now and from the point where Billy Gibbons starts laying them on, I tried counting how many are there. I lost count somewhere around 35. :poke:

Here, listen from exactly 2:30-3:20 on this and you should be hearing them all over the place. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQVmA5EW7vM

Just remember, Zakk is kind of his own thing and his are really pronounced. A lot of that has to do with what I was talking about earlier: what he does with them once he picks them; a high gain harmonic followed by that wide vibrato (and a lot of Wah in there too, many times). Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, on the other hand, is just doing full step bends everytime he hits one. It's an entirely different sound. :)

wingsdad
April 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
...and play with a Mexican peso coin.;)
...and Kat's not just jokin' here, either. Gibbons actually has said he uses a peso as a pick. Point is: heavier and stubbier/rounder tipped picks are part of the technique to get those squealing pinches as in that latter portion of La Grange.

snarph
April 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
heres a example of gibbons giving a blues lesson at about 5ive minutes in here actually plainly says harmonics and gives a demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wNfmpYrb8

Big_Rob
April 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Pinch harmonics can be a pain in the butt.

While learning how to play the Metalocalypes theme I had a hell of a time getting it down because of them

pes_laul
April 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
A tip of advice: Back when I was just learning guitar my dad told me to hold the pick with my thumb slightly hanging off on the left side of a pick so I could hit the string with my thumb to make a pinch harmonic when I needed too. Experiment and see what fits your style.

Bomber
April 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Or check this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5O8P-r5Rk

Saw this online.

Kazz
April 24th, 2008, 03:30 AM
"The" pinch? Kazz, almost the entire last minute of the song is nothing BUT pinch harmonics. I listened to La Grange just now and from the point where Billy Gibbons starts laying them on, I tried counting how many are there. I lost count somewhere around 35. :poke:

Here, listen from exactly 2:30-3:20 on this and you should be hearing them all over the place. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQVmA5EW7vM

Just remember, Zakk is kind of his own thing and his are really pronounced. A lot of that has to do with what I was talking about earlier: what he does with them once he picks them; a high gain harmonic followed by that wide vibrato (and a lot of Wah in there too, many times). Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, on the other hand, is just doing full step bends everytime he hits one. It's an entirely different sound. :)

Ahhh....so I guess all along I have been doing the pinch harmonic correctly....mine sound pretty much like these in La Grange....I just assumed that since mine did not sound like Zakk's that I was doing it wrong.