PDA

View Full Version : Best for least Acoustic?

M29
April 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hello All,

I am starting to look for an acoustic that I can knock around with and not feel too bad if it gets dinged or stolen. Any tips on the best for the least price? I can deal with adding machine heads, nut and bridge if I have to.

Also would you chance buying over the web in this situation? I know it is not a good idea to do this without actually handeling it before buying but if I can get a real good price I might go for it.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Spudman
April 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
M29

I bought two cheap acoustics from Musicians Friend. One is all mahogany and the other is herring bone/ spruce top. Both are cutaway electrics and have Fishman Classic preamps. The preamp alone is probably worth the price of the guitar. It's a pretty nice preamp.
Both guitars play pretty well but not Takamine, Martin, or Taylor nice. Still playable. Good construction and beautiful finishes. Mine needed a little nut and bridge adjustment. Otherwise pretty good. The best part is they sound really good. At least to me and I have recorded them direct into the computer and they sound good there as well.
They are the Rogue brand and I have been seeing them on the bay for well under $100.

WelcomeBack
April 15th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I've heard great things about Seagull guitars ($350-400). Not sure what you mean by "least price". And Sigma (Martin)....

Try --
http://www.cheap-guitar.guitarmegastore.com/Acoustic-Guitar/cheap-acoustic-guitars.html

Matt
April 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Well I'm pretty happy with my Crafter Fx-550EQ. Its not a dreadnought, but a cutaway bowlback. It looks pretty damn nice, and doesnt sound too bad either. I have a few clips of it. Check halfway down this thread, and look for my attatchemnt Bored Jam.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=323

regards

Matt

M29
April 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Hello All,

Thank you for the info, I guess what I am looking for in price is as cheap as I can get with as much quality as I can get. Somethng in 100 dollar range is great because I will be using it while camping or traveling and if it gets stolen or broken I am not out a lot of money. My wife has an older Applause that I mess with every now and then but I would like to get a real nice acoustic later on.
Spudman, I have been looking at your suggested Rouge acoustics and this is probably what I am looking for, the price range is right and they look to be of decent quality. As with any web purchase I am always afraid of getting a warped neck but I guess you can send them back which I have not yet had to do.

Matt, thank you for the info and the excellent playing on your (bored) piece. I found it very well played with great tone and phrasing, very nice indeed.

Welcomeback, thank you for the info, I am going to check out your link and see what I can find.

Thanks again all for your time and help.

M29

Nelskie
April 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM
M29 - You might also want to check out this Jasmine model (made by Takamine) at MF - $99 shipped to your front door.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=516458

Or, for a little more ($129), you can consider getting a Washburn D-100. I've actually played one of these, and I must say that it's quite an impressive-sounding acoustic for the money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=515366

Anyways - a couple more options for you to think about.

tremoloman
May 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I can vouch for Jasmine guitars. A friend got an acoustic/electric model for $175 that rivaled my Ovation Balladeer.

r_a_smith3530
May 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Hey, M29, I saw a Samick parlor sized guitar today that exactly fit your niche and price. Although it was a steel string acoustic, the neck met the body at the 12th fret, like a classical. It was a very pretty guitar, and the best part was that it was going for $79.99 BRAND NEW at a local guitar shop. I played it, and while it wouldn't go toe to toe with a D-28V Martin, it also didn't have the plus two grand price tag either!

Remember that acoustic guitars are more labor intensive to build than their solid-bodied counterparts, and their overall tonal qualities are far more dependent on the materials used, so do take that into consideration when making your choice.

I concur regarding Seagull guitars. I had an S6 a number of years ago (it was a Spruce top w/Mahogany back and sides), and can definitely vouch for their quality. If not for it being a dreadnaught, I'd still own it today.

Another guitar to take a serious look at is the Blueridge. These are made in China, and they are made to go head on with Martin, at a fraction of the cost. My friend just picked up what would be the equivalent of the OOO-45 (BR183), and it is an absolutely fabulous guitar. If you want something equivalent to the OOO-18, check out the BR43.

If you're just looking for something to beat up on around the campfire, and max tonal quality is not at the forefront, go for the $79 Samick, or another similarly priced guitar. If you also want something that you don't have to be ashamed of on stage, then kick it up a notch, and look at the Seagull and Blueridge.