PDA

View Full Version : Shortening Sustain

just strum
April 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I imagine not too many people post asking ways to shorten sustain, but my Ibanez ARC300 just rings forever and it is my feeling that the E sting rings too long. Is there anyway I can shorten that period of sustain? I use my thumb to cut it off, but that is too abrupt. Are there strings out there that I could put on that might give it less sustain without taking away from the great tone the guitar produces?

wingsdad
April 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Try cuttting back your amp's Pre-Gain (not the Master Vol) and/or roll your guitar's Vol pot back from 11 :poke: to 9 or 8.

As for strings, lighter gauge will thin things.

just strum
April 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
...and/or roll your guitar's Vol pot back from 11 :poke: to 9 or 8.

I think you mean 13http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/yikes.gif, 11 is yesterdays technology.

Katastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Dial back the gain, mute more, and play more notes!

Dreadman
April 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
You could lower your pickups.

pes_laul
April 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
How loud do you play and do you stand close to the amp. When I'm practicing in my room it's a lot quieter and my notes don't ring out but when I jam with some buddies and crank the volume up it seems to ring forever and feedback after ringing alot. and the closer you stand to the amp the more it will feedback.

just strum
April 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
How loud do you play and do you stand close to the amp. When I'm practicing in my room it's a lot quieter and my notes don't ring out but when I jam with some buddies and crank the volume up it seems to ring forever and feedback after ringing alot. and the closer you stand to the amp the more it will feedback.

I'm in a 10x11 room, I tend to crank it up (that was the subtle poke I was getting from Wingsdad). I made some adjustments on the amp and the RP350, it now seems somewhat better. I switched guitars for now, but the sustain on the Ibanez just rings forever.

A lot of people like sustain that goes on forever - buy an Ibanez. I think Dreadman and Spud have the same results with their Inbanez's's's's's's's's's's's's's's's's. I think the more talented guitarist like them know how to deal with it better than this rookie.

Speaking of Dreadman - how the hell are you old buddy??? I figured the shop and the dogs have you so busy that you haven't had time to chat with your fellow fretters. It's good to see your occasional post from time to time, sure would like to see more - you're a hit in the mod section (and I don't mean moderator, you know how you are with them in the past http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/smiley35.gif)

You're posts are sort of like drive buys - before we know what you posted, you're gone.

markb
April 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Try adjusting the height of the tailpiece if it's adjustable. The downside is that this will also affect the playing feel, lowering it will stiffen the string tension a bit.

Dreadman
April 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Speaking of Dreadman - how the hell are you old buddy???
I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. Just been REAL busy lately. I've been peeking in but I hesitate to post because I never know when I'm going to have time to read the thread again. I don't want to start a conversation I can't finish.

Anyway, hello to everyone. :beer:

Spudman
April 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm in a 10x11 room, I tend to crank it up (that was the subtle poke I was getting from Wingsdad). I made some adjustments on the amp and the RP350, it now seems somewhat better. I switched guitars for now, but the sustain on the Ibanez just rings forever.

Either take the RP350 out of the equation or turn down the gain. Let us hear what is going on. Record some clips so that we may better serve you.