PDA

View Full Version : Yep, it's true...

Katastrophe
April 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I'm gonna be a DADDY! I found out this week for sure that Mrs. Katastrophe is havin' mah baby! This was a planned event, and we're both really excited. She has an almost nine year old daughter from a previous marriage (and my stepdaughter is excited, too!) This will be my first child. WOOOHOOO!:DR :R

ZoSo65
April 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Congrats Katastrophe!
I just had my first 9 months ago, your gonna love it!!! :R

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Well, a big congrats to you & the missus, K-man!! Sounds like a pretty nice Easter gift!! :D

warren0728
April 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm gonna be a DADDY!
congrats man...there is nothing better in the world than being a dad! I wasn't sure i wanted kids and my wife and i waited several years before we decided to have them...it was either start now (late 30's) or not at all because we were not 20 somethings anymore!

Now i'm 43 with a 7 year old and a 9 year old and i can't imagine life without them!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Congrats Kat!!

Love 'em up. They grows up fast!

Spudman
April 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Congrats Kat! Wow! Big change a commin'. Or many diaper changes a commin'. Tell us when you know what sex it will be so we can pitch in to help you get either a guitar or a shotgun.

warren0728
April 15th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Tell us when you know what sex it will be so we can pitch in to help you get either a guitar or a shotgun.
lmao :D :D :D

Katastrophe
April 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Tell us when you know what sex it will be so we can pitch in to help you get either a guitar or a shotgun.

ROFLMAO!:D :DR :R :D

There will be PLENTY of updates on this, folks, as I've never raised a baby before, and I need all the advice from the Daddy Fretters I can get!

warren0728
April 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I need all the advice from the Daddy Fretters I can get!
advice is one thing....real life is totally different!!

ww

Nelskie
April 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Kat - Remember what it was like to be well rested? Well, say goodbye to that feeling. But hello to so many other wonderful things. Congrats, my friend.

blogan
April 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Congratulations!!! Kids are great!! :cool:

Listen to all the advice, but take it with a large grain of salt. Every kid is different and what works for one won't work for another.

The best advice I can give is to spend time with your kid. (That, and buy 'em a guitar. ;) I got my 8-yr old one for his birthday.)

Tone2TheBone
April 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well done man. Great news. Kids are awesome. Congratulations. :)

Matt
April 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Congrats man! I don't know what to say other than that, but well done!

regards

Matt

guitar ruki
April 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Congratulations Mr. Katastrophe!

Now that is what I call exciting and wonderful news.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
April 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM
CONGRATS K-MAN ..... 6s9l

ZoSo65
April 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Even though it's been 9 months since mine, still seems like yesterday, as I'm sure most here feel the same way also.
And I'll definitley never forget the 2 false alarms(running my wife to the hospital and everything else that goes along with it,,hehe) After the first one I had to get my mothers flight changed to get her here sooner too,,LOL

The funniest part was right before my daughter was born, I fell asleep in a chair with my head on my wifes belly, was at hospital for 8 hours plus no sleep the night before, she had to wake me up when it was "time",,,, I almost missed it!!! LOL :D

There's nothing like the "first one" , it's so very special, it will be special for your wife also as it's the first for the two of you, as one! :R

,,,Listen to all the advice, but take it with a large grain of salt. Every kid is different and what works for one won't work for another.,,,
That is the best advice,,,point well made blogan!

Congrats again!

Tim
April 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Congratulations Katastrophe,

The new addition will turn your life upside down. You will be a different person after the child is born. When my son-in-law married my daughter, she already had a child. He always put on the tough guy act. Although he claimed he loved the child, I could see there was no bonding going on between them. Then came along a little red head baby girl. This little baby melted this big tough guy into the gentlest person I even knew. As my son-in-law recently stated, he now has a complete family. A wife, son and baby girl. What’s the point of the story: Children change people.

There is on piece of advice I would ask that you not to take with a grain of salt. Love the child with all that you have, and you will receive that love back doubled.

Congratulations again to you Mr. Dad

M29
April 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Congratulations Katastrophe,

What a blessing!!! I always remember how different it was to hold (your own) child. What a blessing. My two are teenagers now but they are still and always will be a blessing.

All the best to you and your loved ones!

M29

SuperSwede
April 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I havent been around for a while, but better late than never :)

Congrats Katastrophe!!!

Katastrophe
April 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM
SuperSwede -

I don't know nuttin' from nuttin' about amphs, but do ya think my child will be good for a few "screaming solos?"

Thanks, guys... Now all the realities of being a Dad are hitting me, needing a bigger residence, bills, etc... What fun!:D

Tim
April 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM
SuperSwede -

Now all the realities of being a Dad are hitting me, needing a bigger residence, bills, etc... What fun!:D

Do worry about a bigger residence. Let the baby sleep with you and mom. It will slow down the possibilty of the next one coming soon after this one is born. LOL!

warren0728
April 18th, 2006, 08:06 PM
do ya think my child will be good for a few "screaming solos?"
yes....yes i do....you haven't heard screaming solos like you will be hearing soon!

ww

SuperSwede
April 19th, 2006, 01:49 AM
You will probably want to invest in some kind of volume pedal for the baby. They tend to overdrive very quickly.

Spudman
April 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
A compressor works wonders too. It keeps them from getting bigger and will save you a fortune in clothing costs. Very handy effect to have. Be careful of the chorus effect. I'm sure you can imagine the effect of this one.

duhvoodooman
April 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
A good noise gate is essential!! Especially when they get to be about 13!

Tim
April 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM
VooDoo – I do not think you have chosen the correct effect addressed for a 13 year old teenager. I believe the correct selection for “volume control” would be a dummy load. But Katasrophe has time to purchase the correct wattage for his future need.

SuperSwede
April 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
In fact, I can tell you that small wattage tube kids sound louder than the more solid state older kids. Also, they come with a free cry-baby. Sounds great, especially in the middle of the night.

There will be a lot of "woman-tone" whenever the kids need new clothes, toys et.c... oh yeah, you will not afford neat guitar stuff for a while as well ....

Keep rockin´ :D

warren0728
April 23rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
lmao ss.....glad you are back!

ww

Katastrophe
April 23rd, 2006, 09:33 AM
I can deal with all that... There's only ONE effect that's gonna bother me. The "brown sound," and all its after effects, with soak through and all.;)

SuperSwede
April 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Ah, the brown sugar... Time to stack up a supply of tweed pampers !

There is lot of neat baby clothes, just search on google... Check this one out:
http://www.rockyourbaby.com/tshirts.shtml

Spudman
April 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Swede and Kat

That was the first time I've chuckled out loud in a while. You guys crack me up! "Brown sound," "free cry-baby." My sides are close to hurting. :D

Katastrophe
July 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Guys -

Had to resurrect this thread... Mrs. Katastrophe has been doing great with the pregnancy so far, and we're about halfway through.

Mrs. Katastrophe has been placing headphones on her tummy lately. Apparently, music can stimulate the baby's mind development. She put on some country (actually, an old CD of cover tunes for me to learn) an laid down to do some reading.

I felt the baby kick! That just ROCKS! It was too cool, and I had to share...:D :D :D

Thanks for reading, and you can now return to your regularly scheduled post reading.

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Might I recommend Joe Perry´s "Let the music do the talking" ? Im listening to it right now, and its a really good album. My 9 month old son seems to think so too :R

I hope Mrs. Katastrophe is well, and that all goes well with the birth!!

Katastrophe
July 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM
SuperSwede -

Mrs. Katastrophe is doing very well, and is getting two thumbs up from her doctor...

BUT, we have GOT to do something about the music she's been playing for the baby... All of my CDs are of heavier stuff, and we don't have a lot of music in the house... So, all she could find the last few nights have been the following:

Trans Siberian Orchestra - their first Christmas album, that'll work I guess, especially since the baby's expected to be born in December, right before Christmas.

Various tunes from Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals - BLECH! YUCK! Mrs. Katastrophe likes Broadway musicals. It's a fault that I look past, and I still love her regardless of this. But, to play for an unborn child? That just ain't right.

Celine Dion - She did this one night while I wasn't paying attention. That's just wrong!

Assorted country tunes - These are fine. The baby really seemed to enjoy these tunes, and was rockin' and rollin'. That's when I felt the kick.

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Celine Dion & Andrew Lloyd Weber have to be avoided at all cost! Think of the potiential stress of having to listen to "I drove all night" and not being able to get away....
I recommend Pat Metheny, Mike Stern (of course) and a healthy dose of Danny Gatton (we want the child to become addicted to guitars just like dad, right? :D )

Katastrophe
July 9th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Great ideas! I've never listened to Mike Stern, but he's supposed to be phenominal... Any recommendations?

Gotta get some Gatton... I just started listening to his stuff on the web, thanks to the Tele thread on this site. The man is amazing.

Oooh, found Johnny Hiland's myspace site and heard a few of his tunes... The man can do everything from rock shred to teletwang stuff... Mindblowing!

And I'm gonna have to pick up some Mozart and Beethoven, to expose the baby to some of the classics as well.

You know, the baby didn't kick when Mrs. K played the Celine... probably out of protest, I think!

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Mike Stern - "Between the Lines" is a great start if you want to check out Sterns music. I especially like the song "You never know" on that album, Dennis Chambers is pounding those drums and Mike delivers his amazing tele sound!

Spudman
July 9th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Classical music has the most beneficial impact on a child's brain development. Math skills are also enhanced. Even after the child is born, playing classical music quietly in their room as they go to sleep has also been shown to be beneficial.

However, playing country music of any kind will have undesired effects. Higher rates of aggression, severe mood swings and a strange love of dogs, horses and pickup trucks have emerged as a result of playing country music. Children who listen to country music have been found with their play pens supported by cement blocks and their bottles filled with unusual formulas.

Avoid country music and stick with classical.

Katastrophe
July 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Okay... Went to the store today and got the baby a load of classical music. One CD I'm (er... for the BABY, you understand;) )excited about is a Mozart Concerto performed by Ihtzak Perlman. Classical shred! We got 3 classical CD's total, and the 1st Johnny Hiland CD, just to give the baby a taste o' Tele twang!

However, playing country music of any kind will have undesired effects. Higher rates of aggression, severe mood swings and a strange love of dogs, horses and pickup trucks have emerged as a result of playing country music. Children who listen to country music have been found with their play pens supported by cement blocks and their bottles filled with unusual formulas.

ROFLMAO! Now I know what my problem is, and why my parents are embarassed to show my baby pictures... Thanks for the explanation, man!

Tim
July 10th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Do not forget that sound suppressors provide for instant volume control. A majority of the time the real McCoy gives immediate peace and tranquility to those noisy times. For those who can not provide the real thing, an imitation proto type will offer temporary relief until the discovery of an empty incentive.

Katastrophe
August 3rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
UPDATE: IT'S GONNA BE A GIRL!:D

We had the sonogram done yesterday. Overall, the baby's healthy. She is small for this far along in the pregnancy, which the doctor is monitoring, but otherwise has a good heart rate, and everything else looks good. Mom's doing great, too, with no blood pressure issues or anything.

Tim
August 3rd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Kat - Congratulations on the news. Glad to hear mom and your Daughter are doing well. Little daughters are a blessing. They can be so adorable. Keep us post when the arrival date comes.

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
cool kat....daughters are great and they really do become "daddy's girls" prepare for her to wrap you you around her little finger!! :D

ww

Bloozcat
August 3rd, 2006, 08:19 AM
Congratulations Kat!

First member of the new family band...:D

Don't worry, when she gets to the "terrible twos" and you find her in the cabinet beating on the pots and pans, that doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be a drummer. It's just a phase that most kids go through....;)

I'm happy for you, and give Mrs. Katastrophe our warmest and best wishes!

Spudman
August 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Congratulations. Enjoy the young girl while you can. The teenage years with boys calling and coming to the door are going to be challenging. I'll let you know how I handle it in a couple of years.

Best wishes to you both.

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
The teenage years with boys calling and coming to the door are going to be challenging. I'll let you know how I handle it in a couple of years.

my daughter is 8 and i already am dreading the teenage years :eek:

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
my daughter is 8 and i already am dreading the teenage years :eek:

You guys have no idea.....

SuperSwede
August 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Congrats kat!! I have one of each, and I am too dreading the teenage years (my girl is 7 years old)...

Tone: I guess buying a shotgun, load it with salt and then sit by the door every evening doesnt help?

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Tone: I guess buying a shotgun, load it with salt and then sit by the door every evening doesnt help?

Shotgun's been loaded since day one but thats not the problem. Problem is not with the boys....problem is teenage girls that think they know it all. :) Lets just say that girls are much harder to raise than boys. I was easy to raise....really!

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Shotgun's been loaded since day one but thats not the problem. Problem is not with the boys....problem is teenage girls that think they know it all. :) Lets just say that girls are much harder to raise than boys. I was easy to raise....really!
i have one of each and both of them are tough sometimes! (my daughter is more stubborn though...gets that trait from me)

ww

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Warren - same here. Both my girls are stubborn like me but right now the hormones in the teenager are maxing out. Its like that cell phone commercial have you seen it? heh

Spudman
August 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Ok guys. Now that you have really scared Kat with the whole girl thing I'm scared too. We have a really cute 8 year old girl and I'm freaking out! I can tape the breasts down, cut the hair and dress her like a boy but she's still gonna be attractive. I can shoot real good but after my first casualty I'll be put away and can't protect her from the rest. Dear Abby, can you help me?

Signed,
Dad freaking out over a daughter .

SuperSwede
August 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Mr Spud,

You could perhaps spray her with this convenient Bull Elk Urine. Its going to keep the boys at a great distance, but dont take her out in the forest, it could attract more female elks than you can handle.
http://www.kishelscents.com/images/bull%20elk%20urine%208-04.jpg

Spudman
August 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Swede
That is a wonderful idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I use that stuff to gargle with all the time but I never even thought of spraying my daughter with it.
You are so helpful.
That is the great thing about the fret.net...people are kind enough to give you advice to spray your family with elk piss.:D

They are going to be so excited when I do this the first time.

Tone2TheBone
August 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Elk piss really works.

SuperSwede
August 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM
One day your daugher will thank you. Your family will be as happy as the "lard family" in an earlier thread.
Please let us know how it worked.

Isnt the fret.net wonderful? :D

Katastrophe
August 12th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Ok guys. Now that you have really scared Kat with the whole girl thing I'm scared too. We have a really cute 8 year old girl and I'm freaking out! I can tape the breasts down, cut the hair and dress her like a boy but she's still gonna be attractive. I can shoot real good but after my first casualty I'll be put away and can't protect her from the rest. Dear Abby, can you help me?

Signed,
Dad freaking out over a daughter .

Mrs. K advised me last week that a boy would be coming over for a "playdate" with my stepdaughter that occurred for today. Stepdaughter is 9. I was less than enthused about the idea. The boy (and his little brother) were very polite and well behaved. The kids did well at the movie theater. If anybody goes to see "The Ant Bully," give me a synopsis, will you? I missed alot, checking on the kids every few seconds.

Incidentally, I put together the baby's crib and Mrs. K. got the rest of the room put together. I think I can qualify for an engineering degree now, after the difficulty I had putting that thing together. It took two hours and a trip to the computer for instructions on the 'net.

SuperSwede
August 13th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Kat, sounds like a Ikea design? ;)

I had to put together my daughters new bed, its one of those really high beds with a desk underneath. It was a very hairy experience to stand underneath while assembling!

Katastrophe
August 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Kat, sounds like a Ikea design? ;)

I had to put together my daughters new bed, its one of those really high beds with a desk underneath. It was a very hairy experience to stand underneath while assembling!

Nah, I'm just mechanically inept. Basic guitar setup is about it for me. You should have seen me putting in the surround sound in my house! THAT was a fun experience!

warren0728
August 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM
its one of those really high beds with a desk underneath.
got a pic of that design....sounds interesting...we're getting an ikea here soon although i'm trying to keep it a secret from the wife! ;)

ww

SuperSwede
August 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Its called Tromsö by Ikea. Not that good pics, but PM me if you want more info.

warren0728
August 14th, 2006, 03:43 AM
thanks ss....i get the idea....nice space saver

ww

Katastrophe
November 1st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Howdy all -

Well, it looks like the impending birth of my daughter is getting nearer. Mrs. Katastrophe has been dealing with gestational diabetes for some time now, but her blood sugar is under control. The baby is healthy, but small (only about 3 lbs, 11 ounces). Mrs. K has been confined to bed rest for the next three weeks. As the doctor didn't say "until the birth of the child," we're thinking the birth will happen at that time, around the Thanksgiving holiday.

It's a busy time in the Katastrophe household, with plenty of chores to be done in a short amount of time. I'm still playing though, as time permits!:DR :R :D

Robert
November 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Hope it all goes smooth, Kat. It's a great journey, this whole parent thing!

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2006, 08:42 PM
Hope it all goes smooth, Kat. It's a great journey, this whole parent thing!

Let me add my congrats and encouragement. It is awesome.

Hogfullofblues
November 1st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Congrats to the max! You are about to go where no Kat has gone before. Enjoy every moment.

t_ross33
November 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM
Congrats Kat! Got three of the not-so-little-anymore gaffers myself. Girls. 3 girls: 11-1/2, 9, 6-1/2. Shotgun's by the door. One warning shot, knee level. Thas all I gotta say about that :D

Seriously though - enjoy. It truly is a blessing.

Trev

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
Congrats Kat! Are you still playing music to the child through headphones? We want that little boy/girl to say "a how how how" as its first words :)

warren0728
November 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM
congrats kat....kids are a wonderful thing....it's why we are all here!

ww

Tim
November 2nd, 2006, 04:12 AM
Hang in there man. It will be over before you know it. The only problem is that the wife goes through most if the pain. And by the way, they never grow up. At times my 30 year old acts like she is still 12. But overall, when it's all been said and done, it's worth every minute.

Katastrophe
November 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
Congrats Kat! Are you still playing music to the child through headphones? We want that little boy/girl to say "a how how how" as its first words :)

Yep, sure are! We were given 2 CDs, one plays lullaby versions of Pink Floyd tunes, and the other covers Metallica. It's pretty cool listening to "One" played on a xylophone. :D We use those, in addition to the classical and country stuff.

Gotta get some good blues, and of cours, the Rev. Have mercy!