PDA

View Full Version : ONE (1) ZYS Available

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
I have the parts on hand to build a single ZYS overdrive pedal, and would like to "pre-sell" it here, if possible. It will differ from previous versions of the ZYS I've built in two ways:

The pedal will be built using a PCB I bought from General Guitar Gadgets (GGG), rather than the BuildYourOwnClone.com (BYOC) board I've used previously. The BYOC boards weren't available for a period of time, and I really wanted to try the GGG board to check it out. Though layed out a bit differently on the PCB, the circuit itself is EQUIVALENT, and it's a really nice quality PCB. I expect no tonal difference whatsoever between pedals built on the BYOC and GGG boards.

I've updated the clipping section design to use a pair of MOSFETs for the "Cool" clipping mode, replacing the germanium diodes I used previously. The MOSFETs give the same kind of smooth and bluesy clipping signal character, but without the very substantial volume drop that the germaniums give. I've upgraded my personal ZYS to this design and am extremely satisfied with it. FWIW, the highly regarded Fulltone Fulldrive 2 pedal uses MOSFET clipping, along with some other pricey boutique pedals.
Because of part cost increases, I've raised the price of the ZYS by $10 to $210. However, since this unit will be the first to be built with the GGG board and MOSFET clipper design, I'll offer it to Fretters here for $179, a 15% discount. I'll let the rave reviews of the ZYS that have been posted here by Robert, Spudman, Tone2TheBone, Oldguy and others speak for themselves with regard to the tonal capabilities of this highly modified Tube Screamer-derived overdrive. All I can tell you is that (1) yes, $179 is quite a bit to pay for an overdrive pedal, and (2) you won't be disappointed by what you get for your hard-earned money!

For those of you unfamilar with the ZYS, it features 3 different clipping modes, normal and high gain settings, three different bass rolloff frequency settings, and a socketed IC set-up with four different opamps, including the legendary TS-808's JRC4558D chip. More of the gory details available HERE (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/zys.htm).

So why not take some of that tax refund check and stake a claim to your own little corner of sonic paradise? :dude: :rockon:

Spudman
April 21st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Somebody better snag it. It's the last OD pedal you'll ever need or want.

scorona
April 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
That's a "screamin" deal on a great pedal. You won't regret it!

duhvoodooman
April 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the endorsements, Spuds & Scorona! :AOK: :dude:

Here's a photo from the ZYS "work in progress". This shows the main PCB, fully populated, and the piece of perfboard with additional switchable components. Note that two of the component spots on the main PCB (labeled "4K7" and "473") are empty. That's because those two components--the 4.7Kohm resistor and the 0.047uf film capacitor that determine the pedal's gain factor and bass rolloff frequency--have been replaced with switchable caps and resistors that are now on the right side of the perfboard. They'll be wired back to the open connection points on the main PCB through a 2x6 rotary switch.

The other components on the left side of the perfboard are two MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistors), each paired with a small silicon diode, that form one of the three switchable signal clipping arrays. The other two are a pair of red LED's and a 1x2 silicon diode array that are mounted on the main PCB. The three will be wired through a 3-position toggle switch for the "normal" (silicon), "hot" (LEDs) and "cool" (MOSFETs) clipping modes.

That makes 2 gain ranges x 3 bass rolloff frequencies x 3 clipping modes = 18 different combinations. And if you factor in the 4 opamps I include with the pedal, you're up to 72 DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS!! Imagine the possibilities! :eek: :rockon:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7448128cba67d87.jpg

Spudman
April 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
That's way over my head...but cool. Right?:confused: :D

I was playing mine at a rehearsal tonight and the new guy was blown away by my sound which was a Classic 30 on 3 or 4 and the ZYS. It sounded really sweet.:AOK:

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I absolutely love my ZYS on both my amps especially on the Blues Jr. when the volumes are well past 4-5 on both the volume and master. Talk about spank and screaming solos woooooooooo...

oldguy
April 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
The ZYS is one fine overdrive pedal. It's my go-to OD pedal over any other, and has been since I received it last year.
Vood, if I hadn't already spent all my allowance on a new amp, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

duhvoodooman
April 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Some more progress pics. Got the enclosure drilled this afternoon and fit up the pots, switches, jacks & power LED. Looking good thusfar....

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/GGG_ZYS/ZYS_fitup_top.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/GGG_ZYS/ZYS_fitup_inside.jpg

Robert
April 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I concur, it's one fine pedal.

duhvoodooman
April 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Here's a photo of the pedal assembled for testing. Everything's hooked up except the power LED, which I don't usually connect until final assembly. Works like a charm--sounds great & all features functional.

Now, on to decaling, clearcoating, and final assembly....

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/GGG_ZYS/ZYS_test.jpg

Spudman
April 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
So simple yet mightily awesome.:AOK:

What's that one thing for?

duhvoodooman
April 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM
What's that one thing for?
Umm, could we be a tad more specific??

Spudman
April 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Umm, could we be a tad more specific??
Gotchya. Tag you're it.:D

duhvoodooman
April 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Ohhhh, that thing!! That's the freebous plaginator. If you don't get exactly the right kind and install it in precisely the correct orientation, the pedal ends up with negative mojo! If you use it at a gig in such a condition, the patrons will take you out in the parking lot and beat the snot out of you.... :D

Spudman
April 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Ohhhh, that thing!! That's the freebous plaginator. If you don't get exactly the right kind and install it in precisely the correct orientation, the pedal ends up with negative mojo! If you use it at a gig in such a condition, the patrons will take you out in the parking lot and beat the snot out of you.... :D

Oh.:eek: I think I played with a guy that had one of those in his pedals...maybe. It was either that or a jealous husband.

Tone2TheBone
April 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM
....I don't get it. :confused:

duhvoodooman
April 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
There's nothing to get, really. Spuds and I are just being silly. Sorry.... :o

Spudman
April 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
It's more fun than just posting "bump.":thwap:

duhvoodooman
April 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Don't have to bump as long as I have new photos! ;)

Here's the enclosure with the full-face decal applied. This is S-O-O-O much easier than the old individual decal cutout method, and looks a lot better, too:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/GGG_ZYS/ZYS_fullface_decal.jpg

Tone2TheBone
April 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Boy that photo brings back fond memories.

Btw Voo I finally messed with the "hot" mode/high gain setting on the ZYS this evening with the Gibson. Yeah you're right it adds a nice hard hitting crunch which works well with humbuckers. Ran it through the Blues Jr. but I'll mess with it this week on the Jubilee. I should too because it's very Bonamassa sounding...sssssssssss. I've just been digging the normal mode/stock TS808 setting!

Kazz
May 1st, 2008, 04:33 AM
You all are making it very hard for me to be responsible.

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
You all are making it very hard for me to be responsible.
Well, that's kind of the point! :D

This probably won't help your sense of responsibility, either--finished the pedal up last night:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/GGG_ZYS/ZYS_finito.jpg

Sounds great! Maybe I can get a clip up this weekend....

Tone2TheBone
May 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
This is a must have pedal. Most definately. What color is the LED on that one Voo?

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2008, 11:14 AM
This is a must have pedal. Most definately. What color is the LED on that one Voo?
Red. AAMOF, it has three red LED's--one 5mm for the power indicator light, and two more in the 3mm size on the PCB for the "hot" clip mode! :D :rockon:

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Whaddya know! Had some time tonight to knock out a quick demo clip of the new ZYS pedal. This is recorded using my Epi '56 Goldtop on the bridge pickup through the modified Valve Jr combo amp I have for sale. The amp is run through a 1x12 cab with a WGS Veteran 30 speaker; only additional effect is a bit of reverb. In all cases, the ZYS is set at about 3/4 of the full normal gain range, flat tone (i.e. 12 noon), and the bass rolloff at the middle setting. This is only a fraction of the gain & bass rolloff range the pedal is capable of covering, but it gives an idea of what it can do. The sequence is as follows:

A bit 'o clean first
Stock clipping mode (i.e. TS-808 clipping)
"Cool" clipping mode (MOSFET clippers)
"Hot" clipping mode (red LED clippers)

At the end, I switched over to my Epi Elitist LP Std. (bridge p'up) and stayed in the "hot" clipping mode to do a short bit from the beginning of my favorite Gary Moore tune, which I hope is at least somewhat recognizable!

This recording doesn't really do justice to the "hot" clipping mode, which gives quite a noticeable volume boost. Consequently, I had to turn the recording volume down to keep it from distorting, so some of the "hotness" got scrubbed off. So use your imagination!

Here's the link: http://www.box.net/shared/t1xgyahggk

sunvalleylaw
May 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
That's great Vood! And I might add you are WAY faster than our dear Spudley, who did not have to build his new guitar and yet still cannot seem to get us some . . . CLIPS!!!!! :D Nice job on the pedal Vood! I am sure it will go fast. :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
May 1st, 2008, 11:50 PM
Looking at the list of prominent users of the ZYS OD pedal I don't seem to find a Sunvalleylaw listed...hmmmmm....

Late to the party I should think wot? :D

sunvalleylaw
May 2nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Oh, I am just peanut gallery material in this particular arena. ;-)

duhvoodooman
May 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Oh, I am just peanut gallery material in this particular arena. ;-)
Geez, I dunno, man! If you're gonna run with the big dogs, ya better get a BIG BONE to chew on! Peanuts are monkey food.... ;) :D

Algonquin
May 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Ha!... DVM just called you a Monkey! :rotflmao: Burn!!!!

Whatcha gonna do SVL?... :munch:

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM

Dave that's funny. Burn! We used to say that a lot when we were growing up.

..."ha ha you messed up what a burn!"

Anyway....damn fine pedal the Zonkin' I hope someone here is man enough to buy it before it's too late. :AOK:

duhvoodooman
May 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM

Well, no--not trying to call SVL or anybody else names! But if you're a ZYS owner, it erases any doubt! Only your stud macho players be havin' them weapons of sonic mayhem!! ;) :rockon:

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well, no--not trying to call SVL or anybody else names! But if you're a ZYS owner, it erases any doubt! Only your stud macho players be havin' them weapons of sonic mayhem!! ;) :rockon:

Word.

Algonquin
May 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
My apologies :( I was only joshing, and meant no disrespect.

duhvoodooman
May 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Aw, we all knew that, 'Gonq! Besides, I'm the one who brought up the subject of monkeys! :spank:

sunvalleylaw
May 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM

Hmm, what am I going to do? I am going to wield my newly bestowed moderator super powers and MODERATE! his butt! (where is my zeusse throwing lightning smiley?!)

Nah, I didn't take it that way. I figured I would feed the peanuts to my Bad Monkey and play on dude! :rockon: :beavisnbutthead: :R :DR

Seriously, I would love to have a ZYS, but I can't throw the dough at it at this point. Some lucky dog will end up with a really nice pedal. As for me, "Ok, Bad Monkey, here's some peanuts . . . let's Play!!"

just strum
May 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hmm, what am I going to do? I am going to wield my newly bestowed moderator super powers and MODERATE! his butt! (where is my zeusse throwing lightning smiley?!)

Give a guy a badge and a bullet and he goes Barney Fife on us.:D :rotflmao:

Let's hope the promotion isn't for awhile.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/admin.gif

duhvoodooman
May 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
LAST CHANCE!!!

I'll be putting this pedal up on eBay this weekend. As a friendly gesture to my fellow Fretters, I'll make one last rock-bottom offer here for $170. That's the same price as the Ibanez TS-808 RI pedal, and the ZYS does so much more! You've seen the glowing comments and reviews here by some of our most senior & respected members/players. This is the last OD pedal you'll ever need.... :rockon:

thearabianmage
May 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hey, Voodoo Man! That looks pretty sweet, dude! I wanna start building up an analog pedal collection and can't find any decent overdrives. . . That might change. When I get some cash, I think I may actually splash out on one of these. Is there any way I can get one a bit more customized? In terms of a two-channel pedal: one with this apparently sweet overdrive, and one with an absolute crunch distortion? Not with them both on at the same time, obviously :D Considering the £ is always up on the $, price really is no object, but an estimate would be cool. . . And if you can't combine the two, then can you make a custom distortion pedal? What other pedals can you do? After reading some of these posts, it sounds like the ZYS is pretty good, and I'm into the idea of custom hand-made (built by someone I sorta know) pedals. Cheers

Spudman
May 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
If you guys pass this up and don't have an OD pedal already then you are daft. This is easily the most amazing semi-dirt box/overdrive I've ever come across.

Kazz
May 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
I want it.....but thanks to the tax software I used this year....I opted to pay the fees from my refund instead of putting them on a credit card....so my lovely $2100 dollar rebate check is not coming for another 3 weeks. I really hate to miss out on this deal....I want one of these pretty badly.

duhvoodooman
May 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I want it.....but thanks to the tax software I used this year....I opted to pay the fees from my refund instead of putting them on a credit card....so my lovely $2100 dollar rebate check is not coming for another 3 weeks. I really hate to miss out on this deal....I want one of these pretty badly.
Check your PM's, Kazz....

Mark
May 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hey DVM this new MOSFET design is it something you can explain to me how to try it on my ZYS? Sounds berry interesting. Oh and yes to all this is an incredible pedal one of my faves......and I gots lotsa pedals........

player
May 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM

a little bird told me the rebates are going out by the last two digits in your SSN.if that's the case I'm screwed.maybe if one comes it'll help with the taxes but not counting on it.:thwap: and no I don't make a lot of dough.pretty much in the same boat as the rest of the country

marnold
May 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
a little bird told me the rebates are going out by the last two digits in your SSN.if that's the case I'm screwed.maybe if one comes it'll help with the taxes but not counting on it.:thwap: and no I don't make a lot of dough.pretty much in the same boat as the rest of the country
Here's the schedule (http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=180250,00.html).

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
OK....... so......getting this thread back on track........
Any taker's??
Bob......uh.... I mean..... DVM.
If nothing's goin' down w/ this yet, send me a PM.
No-one knew what they had when the Tubescreamers came out, either....
;) ;) ;) ;)

duhvoodooman
June 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
SOLD! (Finally....) :D

Robert
June 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Who was the lucky son of a ZYS?

duhvoodooman
June 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
A former Fretter, not an active one. You can probably guess, Robert. I'll just leave it at that....

Robert
June 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Old habits never die...