PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try a Peavey Generation EX tele?

Duff
April 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
I bought two at great prices: 149 US each and they are sweet high gain type teles, nothing thin about it. Nice guitars. Alder solid bodies, vintage style tuners, beautiful maple neck with maple fingerboard and some really great tone thru a great amp.

Anyone have one? Any comments to share? I'd like to get the Generation EX custom with the two humbuckers.

Duffy

Spudman
April 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM
Um...my hand goes up 3 times.;) Great guitars.

Justaguyin_nc
April 22nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
There is a boy I go see sometimes at the clubs.. Dunno if its the EX or EXP but his is tele shaped with a S/S/H setup with front and back binding around the body . HE plays it thru a Crate Combo and for Country and Blues it sounds very very good in his hands.. Nice burst and a very good looking guitar on the stage.

Bloozcat
April 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
It seems that model has been discontinued. The only online retailer that showed any is MF, and that model is the Hum/Hum model only @ $199.00.

Where did you get yours for $149.00 Duff?

Duff
April 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I got them at a local store in Pa. Some site had them for 149 and I bought that in and they matched the price. They were asking 220 already marked down from 299.

Duffy

So I got two: a three tone burst and a butterscotch. Both are great. I want to sell some of my lower quality guitars.

Duff
April 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I think they will ship. The one they have left is a tobacco sunburst good looking and playing guitar. Standard two pickup, hot, tele type. Quite nice actually.

They will ship, I'm sure. I can give you a phone number. If you quote my name and deal you can probably get it for the same price. Let me know.

Duffy

Spudman
April 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM
These are really the sleeper guitars that once they are discovered everyone will be all over them. They are an amazing value. I actually like them a lot more than the MIM Fender Teles and most American (not all) Teles that I've played.

I've been gigging with mine and it flat out wails and I can get a lot of different sounds out of it. It looks good too. Initially I wanted a different bridge pickup but after using it and discovering how to use the tone knob with the bridge pickup there is almost no way that I'm going to swap it out. It works great.

Bloozcat
April 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think they will ship. The one they have left is a tobacco sunburst good looking and playing guitar. Standard two pickup, hot, tele type. Quite nice actually.

They will ship, I'm sure. I can give you a phone number. If you quote my name and deal you can probably get it for the same price. Let me know.

Duffy

Yeah, I'd like their number, if you would Duff. You can PM me with the info.

Is this tobacco burst one a two humbucker version? Or is it a single bridge/humbucker neck?

Bloozcat
April 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
If anybody is interested in one of these guitars in the 3-single coil model, this could be a potential deal in the making.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250242207779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Nobody's touched it so far, and the auction runs out in 9 hours. The shipping price is reasonable too. The cheapest I've seen this model going for is $149.99 plus shipping.

Anyway, it's up for grabs...

Duff
May 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM
These Peavey teles are 149 and are std. two single coils; they have two butterscotch and a burst.

Another place I know has triple singles and customs with the piezo like MF, and a std. Also have a sweet looking vintage modified Squire tele with the three pickups with a mini humbucker in the neck, another Squire tele with duncan designed bucker in the bridge and two duncan designed single coils in mid and neck.

Some sweet inexpensive guitars out there these days.

I like the ones with the humbucker in the neck and might get one next.

Just got a black Peavey triple single for 149 new. Sweet. Put tens on it and had it set up real good. I'd like to get a real pro set up though.

Playing thru a Fender SCXD with a Danelectro Corned Beef reverb pedal in front of it: neat sound.

Duffy

Spudman
May 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
These really are great guitars.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/GenerationTriple-1.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/Generation3single.jpg

SuperSwede
May 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
5-way switch? Looks like a cool guitar, does the middle neck pickup combo sound more like a strat? Can you still use the neck + bridge combo?

Duff
May 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
No neck and bridge combination on my new black one "Nigel", means black in Dutch or some Western European language.

But, I understand that the mod can be made and I'm interested in having it done.

Also, the Vintage Generation Ex has a humbucker in the neck and a standard tele pup in the bridge. It interests me a lot. They are hot. The custom's h'buckers are not hot. The triple singles are relatively hot.

I might modify my Squire std tele to have a covered humbucker, or even an open Seymour Duncan '59, in the neck. I wonder how this sound would blend in the middle position. I don't know if you could balance them out with just one tone and volume pot. Might have to have new pots put in and then you are getting into territory where the Squire Custom II w 2 duncan designed P90s looks more reasonable. Played it last night. Very nice with great lows and screaming highs. Quite loud at idle of course, being p90s, even Duncan designed.

That Peavey Generation Ex Vintage really sounds nice and hot too.

Duffy

just strum
May 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Just got a black Peavey triple single for 149 new. Sweet. Put tens on it and had it set up real good. I'd like to get a real pro set up though.

Duffy

Where are you finding these for 149?

Spudman
May 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Where are you finding these for 149?

http://www.siglermusic.com/

They also have them for that price on ebay as a buy it now.

just strum
May 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.siglermusic.com/

They also have them for that price on ebay as a buy it now.

Well, I can post a reply to this thread soon, just purchased this:

scroll down on the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Generation-TM-Triple-Single-EX-BLK_W0QQitemZ370049797744QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2384QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I've been wanting a tele recently and Wingsdad G&L was a major GAS maker. Since I didn't have the funds for one like that or a Fender, this seems to be the ticket.

Mr Grumpy
May 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well I hope they are OK - I made an impulse buy while at a guitar show today and picked up a generation EXP in black like this for £75. Needs stringing with 10's and the intonation setting properly but it plays lovely and gives me some nice in between sounds. I got it mainly as a lying about the house guitar on a stand, not in a case so I might play some more and will probably use it as an upgrade platform (just pickups really)

http://www.fretmusic.co.uk/uploads/images_products/2193.jpg

I like it so far.

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Well I hope they are OK - I made an impulse buy while at a guitar show today and picked up a generation EXP in black like this for £75. Needs stringing with 10's and the intonation setting properly but it plays lovely and gives me some nice in between sounds. I got it mainly as a lying about the house guitar on a stand, not in a case so I might play some more and will probably use it as an upgrade platform (just pickups really)

http://www.fretmusic.co.uk/uploads/images_products/2193.jpg

I like it so far.

Yours is an HSS? Mine has 3 singles. How is the build on it? Comparing to guitars in the same price range and higher, where would you rate it?

street music
May 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I checked their site, their were no Peavey's shown, guess you guys got the last of them.

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I checked their site, their were no Peavey's shown, guess you guys got the last of them.

Uncle Ike's has them.

http://www.uncleikes.com/pc-200-200-peavey-generation-ex-electric.aspx

Duff
May 11th, 2008, 05:44 PM
The Gen EX peavey vintage I played had only two pups. A bucker in the neck with nickel cover and standard hot bridge angled uncovered pup. Sweet sounding guitar. Way better sounding to my ear than the Gen Custon EX with the piezo and two buckers.

I bought a black triple single last night and it has five disticntly different sounds thru my Fender SCXD and Vox DA5. Both GREAT amps. I can't put that triple single down. Glad I got the black but that three tone burst is really really hard to not be totally taken in by.

Duffy

I want a Gen EX Vintage with the neck covered bucker and uncovered bridge pup. This is a hot guitar like the triple single. The Custom is not hot, it is toned down, probably to blend the piezo in better.

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
The Gen EX peavey vintage I played had only two pups. A bucker in the neck with nickel cover and standard hot bridge angled uncovered pup. Sweet sounding guitar. Way better sounding to my ear than the Gen Custon EX with the piezo and two buckers.

I bought a black triple single last night and it has five disticntly different sounds thru my Fender SCXD and Vox DA5. Both GREAT amps. I can't put that triple single down. Glad I got the black but that three tone burst is really really hard to not be totally taken in by.

Duffy

I want a Gen EX Vintage with the neck covered bucker and uncovered bridge pup. This is a hot guitar like the triple single. The Custom is not hot, it is toned down, probably to blend the piezo in better.

I was going to try to back out of my purchase of the black triple single, so I could buy a butterscotch from another store, but decided to stick with the black one instead. Hopefully it arrives this week - your comments have increased my anticipation.

jasongins
May 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Can anyone tell me what the Custom EX double humbucker model sounds like? I've been eyeing a white one.

Spudman
May 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Great deal on a Generation EX

They have the Peavey Generation EX triple single for $149 and free shipping.
http://www.uncleikes.com/pc-200-43-p...-electric.aspx (http://www.uncleikes.com/pc-200-43-peavey-generation-ex-electric.aspx)

Duff
May 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
My gloss black Gen EX triple single is named already: "Nigel" for a black lab I used to have, poor boy developed uncontrollable epilepsy at eight years old, young for a lab. I have a twelve or fourteen year old Yellow Lab now and a pup at a year and a half named Nigella.

So the Black with black pickguard and black uncovered pups looks really nice with the chrome accents. It will always remind me of my old dog and I will try to play it to my best.

I have a two pup Gen Ex in butterscotch that I love. But I think the Vintage Gen Ex I want to get will be a three tone burst, because they have it in stock locally, maybe a butterscotch too. If so I don't know. That three tone burst is really astoundingly beautiful with the alder grain; but the butterscotch one I have also looks great with that black pick guard. The Vintage sounds fabulous.

Duffy

Duff
May 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I played a Gen EX Custom last night and was not as impressed as I had anticipated I'd be. The buckers are not hot and it's probably to balance in with the piezo acoustic pickup. I liked the sound of the triple single and the Vintage a lot better; but, I have a really nice Schecter C1 E/A with Seymour Duncan bridge JB and neck '59. It is sort of hollow but mostly solid and is a hybrid. It sounds super great. Especially stereo to an acoustic amp and a guitar amp, just like you would do with the Peavey Custom. But you can just plug into a guitar amp and get both sides of the stereo but it just doesn't allow the acoustic part to attain its full potential in the electric guitar amp only.

The Custom looks and feels great and I'm sure I could get used to it if I didn't already have the Schecter.

Duffy

Duff
May 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
That black gloss triple single accented with the chrome and with the black open coils blending into the black and black pickguard is a really beautiful looking guitar, to my eyes. It feels, plays, and especially, sounds great; super great. I can't put it down. Five distinct different sounds. One of my best guitars, if not the best. Built really well too and the maple fretboard is laminated onto the neck but it is almost impossible to tell. Look very closely and verify at the top of the neck where you can see the line uniformly delineating the lamination line. It's about a quarter inch thick, plus/minus.

Very beautiful in black, I must say. I have a std Peavey Gen Ex in butterscotch and might get the Vintage in butterscotch or the three color burst.

Duffy

Mr Grumpy
May 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Duff - mine is a HSS exactly like the one in the pic. Build quality seems excellent and the neck in particular is much nicer to me than the one on the Pacifica I used to have. When Ive played it a while and strung it/set the intonation etc I'll be better placed to review it but Im very pleased with it. I wanted a tele with strat like pickups/switching so this was a good buy, when I upgrade the pickups (probably to SWINESHEAD pickups, a fantastic UK builder, check the site) I might also fit a coil tap on a pull- up pot. The binding is a nice touch at this price too.

ET335
May 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have been looking for one of these for a long time and thanks to everyone here for their input and links to uncleikes,I odered one in butterscotch with 3 singles today,if Spud and Duff say it's a great guitar I'm sure it is.can't go wrong with this one guy's.Plus free shipping and no tax.:beer: :AOK:

Spudman
May 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have been looking for one of these for a long time and thanks to everyone here for their input and links to uncle mikes,I odered one in butterscotch with 3 singles today,if Spud and Duff say it's a great guitar I'm sure it is.can't go wrong with this one guy's.Plus free shipping and no tax.:beer: :AOK:

Another convert. Congrats.

I played my triple single all day at my local open mic. I even used the middle pickup a lot. Very versatile guitar.

just strum
May 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I don't name my guitars, but I will refer to this as joining the BUG Club Butt Ugly Guitar.

A lot of us never saw anything pleasing by it's looks, but like an ugly dog, it tends to warm up to you.

Spudman
May 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I don't name my guitars, but I will refer to this as joining the BUG Club Butt Ugly Guitar.

A lot of us never saw anything pleasing by it's looks, but like an ugly dog, it tends to warm up to you.

PICS!

just strum
May 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
PICS!

Hasn't arrived yet.

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM

so basically it's the bugger. ;) "Ok, honey, I'm headed downstairs to play with the bugger." :D Or, "I'm off to commit some buggery!" :rotflmao: I amuse me! ;)

Wish I could join you guys on this purchase.

Spudman
May 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hasn't arrived yet.

Whatever.:poke:

just strum
May 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Whatever.:poke:

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch

But it did ship.

Duff
May 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
It is three tone burst, beautiful alder wood grain with amber stain. Close grained which I think is nice. Maple cap fingerboard. Nickel plated humbucker, hot, at the neck and hot bridge open coil black. Great deep heavy tone. Really a nice guitar looks and feels and sounds.

Been playing it thru my Blackheart at five watts with the bass turned down, into my So. Cal. cabinet with my Korg AX5G. I will play it late into the night, I'm sure; probably on my Vox DA5 or Fender SCXD with the Emminence Ragin Cajun. Also I will be playing my black "Nigel" triple single that sounds so good.

Now to name the burst Vintage.

The place has quite a few Gen Ex's and ships. The address is:

K and S Music
0% like it
Based on 0 votes Local (570) 648-8676

K and S Music
Rts 61 & 487
Paxinos, PA 17860

http://www.ksmusic.com/xcart/home.php

You need to call them because the web site is a small time operation. The Paxinos store is in coal country in a huge old house. Has a really nice selection of musical equip. Great people work there?

At least six or seven Gen Ex's including a white Vintage, a three tone burst Vintage, a butterscotch Custom or Std, a couple triple singles; all just gotten in, brand new. They may not last.

Mentioning my name might let them know you are serious: Matt and telling them that I told you they match internet prices, not ebay prices, and that they ship. They know me well.

I have no affilliation. I also test played all of the Gen Ex's and had them set a few up that weren't already set up great. All of them were really nice. Seriously. It is just another place to buy guitars and it has what some of you are looking for and ships and sells with matching prices.

One of them is a honey blonde. The white Vintage looks great and the Antique three tone burst looks super great to me. They all look good.

Duffy

Any more info feel free to ask or email me at mbolduc@dejazzd.com.

Bloozcat
May 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
How much did the EX Vintage three tone burst cost you Duff?

That's the one I was looking at from Ike's. I'm curious as to what kind of a deal K&S is offering.

Duff
May 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Bloozcat,

Matched Uncle Ikes. 179 and this included the tax.

Duffy

just strum
May 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Well, mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow if FedEx delivers on time. It's always exciting when a guitar is on the way, regardless of the value. I received my Hendrix songbook today - Best of Hendrix. Plus another Hendrix CD "Blues" and a CD with various artist "Crucial Rockin Blues". Building up for a good weekend.

Spudman
May 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day for you.
Just to warn you it might need a little setting up but no matter what you are going to LOVE the neck pickup. Sweetest thing since Dr. Pepper.

Mr Grumpy
May 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Mine does need a setup (and 10's strings!) and intonation - thats my weekend project. Im loving it so far, I love having my inbetween sounds back in a nice solid stringthrough body and its really well made and feels great. Its certainly a keeper and at the price it was a gift - I like it better than most Squiers and the MIM tele's I looked at at 4 times the price. I plan an upgrade campaign to beef it up nonetheless - better bridge and tuners, make sure the screening is ok and Swineshead pickups (Runaway at the bridge, Spotlights at middle and neck) and a tortoiseshell scratchplate.:AOK:

ET335
May 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Well it shipped today!
Spud if it is as nice as the one you have:drool: I'll be a very happy camper.

now for that long painful wait:munch:

Hmm.wonder if Strum recieved his today?

just strum
May 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM
5:32 PM and no guitar. Hopefully it's a late delivery, not a "no delivery"

Spudman
May 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM
5:32 PM and no guitar. Hopefully it's a late delivery, not a "no delivery"

Some of the delivery guys found out how good these are and have been nabbing them and saying they have been lost in shipping or already delivered. Wouldn't surprise me if your driver or warehouse guy nabbed it. Sorry. They really are cool guitars. Too bad you won't be getting one now.:( :)

just strum
May 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Some of the delivery guys found out how good these are and have been nabbing them and saying they have been lost in shipping or already delivered. Wouldn't surprise me if your driver or warehouse guy nabbed it. Sorry. They really are cool guitars. Too bad you won't be getting one now.:( :)

I'm like a kid at Christmas and you just told me there is no Santa:D :cry: :D

Spudman
May 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'm like a kid at Christmas and you just told me there is no Santa:D :cry: :D

OH NO! There most definitely is a Santa. Hear that little boys and girls? There most definitely is a Santa and he will be bringing you many wonderful gifts.

Phew.:thwap:

just strum
May 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
OH NO! There most definitely is a Santa. Hear that little boys and girls? There most definitely is a Santa and he will be bringing you many wonderful gifts.

Phew.:thwap:

Well if that's true, he better never use FedEx because they have never, ever, delivered to my house on time. UPS may deliver broken guitars to Shiner, but they have always been on time and no damage for any items shipped to my house.

Oh well, just have to select another guitar to play tonight.

sunvalleylaw
May 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I really feel for you Strum, what with that roomload of guitars you have to choose from tonight. :poke: :D And more on the way!

just strum
May 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure why I received this so late (like in the last half hour).

"We are currently out of stock on the Peavey Generation Triple/Single guitar. After doing an extensive search of our warehouse, we found one, but it is not in sellable condition."

that SUCKS!!!

sunvalleylaw
May 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Dang it! Sorry about that man.

just strum
May 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Well, I ordered one from Uncle Ike's (Butterscotch), but I have a feeling they are out of Butterscotch because they removed it from their e-bay listing (I ordered mine from the store).

8th street has a black one, but $299 (WTF).

I haven't been able to find anymore for $149 w/free shipping with the exception of Uncle Ike's.

ET335
May 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear that Strum.that really is a bunch of crap.
Uncle Ikes shipped mine today and when I callled and talked to Zack yesterday he told me he had 2 left in butterscotch,so I sure hope you get one.I sure do know how you feel,it's happened to me before also.

just strum
May 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I just called them and spoke to Kevin. He shows it in stock and he left a note for the guy that will be there in the morning to fill orders to call me if there is any problem.

It's nice to call people that sell on the web and have them be very polite and responsive. The guy was closing up and he took the time to start up a computer to check inventory and take down contact info.

ET335
May 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Thats Great Strum. sure do hope they still have it for ya.:AOK:

just strum
May 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Well, they called this morning and the butterscotch is gone, so I settled on the blonde. I ordered direct from the store, but here are some pics from their e-bay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Peavey-Generation-Triple-Single-EX-Tele-Style_W0QQitemZ130203931425QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2384 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp16 38Q2em118Q2el1247

So the wait for the truck begins again.

Guitar Gal
May 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Too bad you missed out on the first Peavey Strum.......but sounds like you finally have one on the way :rockon:

Looking forward to your review once you get it.

GG

just strum
May 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
thanks GG,

Just checked FedEx - they have it in their possession and it is due to arrive at the house on Monday.

that should take some of the "sucks" out of Monday. :rockon:

Spudman
May 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
thanks GG,

Just checked FedEx - they have it in their possession and it is due to arrive at the house on Monday.

that should take some of the "sucks" out of Monday. :rockon:

Unless it arrives broken. :( I hope that doesn't happen.

sunvalleylaw
May 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Oh dude, take it easy on the poor guy!! LOL!

just strum
May 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Oh dude, take it easy on the poor guy!! LOL!

I'm waiting for him to tell me about the Peavey recall.

Spudman
May 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I'm waiting for him to tell me about the Peavey recall.

Easier yet...you're going to need a file.:D

Duff
May 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I know you are kidding us. You really didn't get that message.

This place by me has the triple singles and the customs and the vintage(that has a nice humbucker in the neck, supposedly Seth Lover or copy). Regular pup at the bridge quite nice sounding. The triple single sounds great.

The phone number for the place is:570 648 8676.

It is called K and S Music and they ship promptly. They match Uncle Ike's web site. I got my vintage for 176. That normally costs a lot more. They have a couple colors.

Hope this helps,

Duff

Let me know how it turns out. There is another place that ships that has a few, butterscotch I think. I'm not sure if these are just standards or not, with just two single coil tele pickups that sound super great. But it has some available. At least one I think is butterscotch.

just strum
May 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Pay no mind to Spud, he's just diverting attention away from the warning about Luke necks falling off.:D

Edit:

May 16, 2008 2:47 AM

Arrived at FedEx location

CHICAGO, IL

May 15, 2008 8:20 PM

Left origin

DUBUQUE, IA

5:08 PM

Arrived at FedEx location

DUBUQUE, IA

11:04 AM

Picked up

DUBUQUE, IA

Spudman
May 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Pay no mind to Spud, he's just diverting attention away from the warning about Luke necks falling off.:D

5 bolts muchacho. Ain't gonna happen.:p

ET335
May 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Strum you forgot to mention about the body splitting in half:D

both of our guitars are at the same place at the same time:AOK:

Mr Grumpy
May 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
A quick pic of mine - now has new 10's and is better for it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/noddyman/S4021494.jpg?t=1210968912

just strum
May 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
A quick pic of mine - now has new 10's and is better for it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/noddyman/S4021494.jpg?t=1210968912

Very nice Mr G. Are you enjoying the new guitar?

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
It's getting closer and hasn't been hijacked yet.

May 17, 2008 4:26 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

RICHFIELD, OH

Scheduled for delivery next business day

Mr G, what strings were on yours when it arrived?

Mr Grumpy
May 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Mine had a dreadful, dead set of 9's on. First job was to fit a set of Rotosound yellows (10's). Now it rings a lot more and stays in tune. Seems to like heavier strings.

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
It must be the birthday madness of vacuuming the house this morning, but I just bid on another one.:thwap:

ET335
May 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I know that feeling Strum.....ok now which one...pics....links.

Don't keep us hanging here:D

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I received an e-mail from a seller on E-bay that is interesting.

For those of you that have received your guitars, maybe you can confirm that it is fact or not. The store that they refer to is the one that I originally ordered from, but it ended up they didn't ship.

hello again. just wondering ? did you purchase it from sigler music... if so you are purchasing a second grade peavey guitar. which are made in china, peavey is getting some very bad reviews on the guitars. most of them are either wired wrong or the body has defects. or you cant ajust the neck. the ones i have came from my local peavey dealer here in albany georgia. reason for telling you this is. i in fact purchased a tobasco finished one for a 149.00.... the neck could not be ajusted and the strings fretted out all up and down the neck. i called peavey in mississi and talked to one of the guitar tech there. (steve smith )he said they ran so many thousands of the off an never checked the cut outs on them, either the neck / control plate / are bridge has opening that you can see under. so please look the guitar over close, if im right you will see the defects.most of the guitars run anywheres from 279.00 399.00 in most peavey shops.this is why they are selling them so cheap. who knows .you might get a good one, love to see your bid on mine. you want be disapointed, ill even send you a catolog showing this guitar. till next time, have a blessed day !

Spudman
May 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
That's why I mentioned the file.:)

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Well mine arrived and so far :AOK: It needs new strings (preference) and I need to lower the action, but to my ears it sounds real sweet. I put the allen wrench in the truss rod adjustment hole and it lock in to something down there.

For $149 it appears to be a sweet deal.

Here are two quick photos, one with a flash, one without.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/InvisibleBuck.jpg

oopps, sorry

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture238.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture237-1.jpg

t_ross33
May 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
That's one gorgeous blonde. Oh, the guitar ain't bad either :D

There's something about a girl in camo pants and an ammo belt with fresh killed game that speaks to the country-boy in me....:dude:

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
That's one gorgeous blonde. Oh, the guitar ain't bad either :D

There's something about a girl in camo pants and an ammo belt with fresh killed game that speaks to the country-boy in me....:dude:

Oh, you guys thought I was posting the pic last night and today because of the girl? I was just trying to fit in with all the hunters and figured nothing like a dead deer pic to start conversation.:D

just strum
May 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
If anyone is still interested in getting a Peavey, there is one on e-bay that looks nice. I had a bid on it, but someone topped me and I don't care to pursue it any further.

I've communicated with the seller, she was hoping to get $200, but I don't think she'll be getting it. She also has a blonde one that as of the other night wasn't posted, but she was thinking of selling it.

Not an endorsement, just letting you guys know in case you want to look into it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300225240215&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

marnold
May 24th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I just saw this on MF, FWIW:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Generation-Custom-EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518647

ET335
May 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I recieved this last week and just now getting around to setting it up.of course it needed one badly,but after the set up..WOW!!this thing will sing,I was not expecting it to be that good.Great neck and the frets nicely finished,and the pickups sound wonderful[no need to upgrade there]not a blemish on the body anywhere.Just a sweet sounding Guitar.here are a few quick pics I took tonight.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00311.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00308.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00315.jpg

just strum
May 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
ET, Wowwwwwwwwww - that looks real nice.

What did you do as part of your set-up process? I'm still having a problem getting mine to sound right from the 11th to the 17th. I checked the fret height and they seem fine.

I haven't messed with the truss rod yet, and I was hoping not to.

Did you get yours from Uncle Ike's?

ET335
May 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hey Strum... Yep I sure did get it from Uncle Ike's.and it did have a lot of fret buzz when I first check it over and this is what I did..First of all I started with the neck.I sighted down the neck to see where I would have to make an adjustment,and it did have a little back bow,so that tells me I have to loosen the truss rod to get it straight,I like just a little bit of relief in mine,so I turned just a tad more to get what I wanted,after that I went to the bridge and made adjustments there to get rid of any fret buzz[raised the saddles just enough to not here any buzz all up and down the neck]I haven't checked the intonation yet,but it sounds like it's pretty dead on...I still hear a slight buzz around the third fret on the B string,but not enough to worry about.its probably a high fret and I will check for that later today.other than that this thing is Really sweet.I seen the pics of your's and it is Really a nice looking Guitar,I almost got that one myself,then I seen the Butterscotch and always wanted one and couldn't afford a American Fender tele,But I would put this up against any of them,it Really sounds Great!

just strum
May 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
ET,

You received one of the last, if not the last butterscotch that they had. I wanted a butterscotch, but I must admit taking the blonde as a second choice wasn't too heartbreaking.

Besides some buzz (very minimal), the D and G go dead (that clunk or thunk sound) when I try to lower the action. It's not that low, but I can't get it to where it feels comfortable.

Mr Grumpy
May 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM
mmm thats a NICE guitar. Ive been tinkering with my Genny tele this week and i have to agree, with a bit of work these things are tremendous. Was going to upgrade the pickups, not so sure now as the stock ones sound great. I'll give it a few months before I consider it again, get to know it better. Get some 10's on there, mine loved them

ET335
May 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM
ET,

You received one of the last, if not the last butterscotch that they had. I wanted a butterscotch, but I must admit taking the blonde as a second choice wasn't too heartbreaking.

Besides some buzz (very minimal), the D and G go dead (that clunk or thunk sound) when I try to lower the action. It's not that low, but I can't get it to where it feels comfortable.

Sorry you weren't able to get the Butterscotch Strum,but when I called they had 2 left.I would have taken either one because they are both Great looking Guitars.

as for the clunk and thunk,that's the same thing I got with B string,sounds like you will have to do a neck adjustment there also.

not sure if you have done that before ,but it isn't hard to do,just take your time and turn in small increments,about an 1/8th of a turn at a time.retune and check each time you make a turn and sight down the neck to make sure you don't have too much relief.I like to get the neck as straight as I can.

ET335
May 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM
mmm thats a NICE guitar. Ive been tinkering with my Genny tele this week and i have to agree, with a bit of work these things are tremendous. Was going to upgrade the pickups, not so sure now as the stock ones sound great. I'll give it a few months before I consider it again, get to know it better. Get some 10's on there, mine loved them

Yes they are Great guitars...I was Greatly surprised when I first seen it ,even more after the set up and I plugged it in.Great pickups,nice crisp clean and clear.

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
GOT IT!!!

sounding real good, action great. Now to adjust intonation, but it isn't that far off.

I have the action at 2/32 at the 17th. One of the problems was the action was set even lower because without realizing it I was getting to anal over the action.

Maybe down the road I will change the nut. It seems to be set too high and the strings are well down in the grooves.

The other day when I put on new strings I broke the e and had to reinstall the original. While setting it up I noticed how rusty the one is, going to have to do something about that.

Spudman
May 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Maybe down the road I will change the nut. It seems to be set too high and the strings are well down in the grooves.

If your strings are too high at the nut end then just go to a place like Harbor Freight Tools or Tool Liquidator and pick up a set of needle files to file the string slots.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=needle+files&Submit=Go

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
If your strings are too high at the nut end then just go to a place like Harbor Freight Tools or Tool Liquidator and pick up a set of needle files to file the string slots.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=needle+files&Submit=Go

I should do that. I am leery of Harbor Freight when it comes to tools with more than one or two components (I bought calipers from them and it should have said "JUNK" on the box), but for files I think it's a safe purchase.

I'm also thinking I may have golf syndrome. When the ball doesn't go down the gut of the fairway, one tends to think they need a new driver - I know, I have five drivers.

Maybe I'll give this changing thing some time and just make adjustments. I posted in the mod section about the nut and that should provide some info in the event I change out the nut.

Hmmm, maybe if I take a graphite shaft from one of my drivers and shape a nut....

Duff
May 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I love my Peavey Gen Ex's: antique burst (fabulous tone) and butterscotch. This store by me has them and will price match at 149 and they ship if anyone is interested.
You might find mention of it further up in the post.

Also, I love my new Generation Ex Vintage. This one has the standard bridge pup but has a really smooth vintage covered humbucker at the neck. I got that from a local store that still has some plus some Customs with the piezo. Also price matches.

Also just traded a strat for a '07 G&L ASAT Classic tele Tribute and it also has that super sweet tone but not the same. White pearl pickguard, antique burst and white maple thinly coated neck.

I need to post some pictures and I'm also working on some audio clips. I hope it doesn't turn into a big hassle posting audio clips.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I love my Peavey Gen Ex's: antique burst (fabulous tone) and butterscotch. This store by me has them and will price match at 149 and they ship if anyone is interested.
You might find mention of it further up in the post.

I already said it and I will say it again, if you are thinking about the Gen Ex, I would jump on it. From what I understand they are discontinued and that is why these stores initially had so many. There are various stories about how Peavey flooded the market with rejects, but I haven't found anyone that can support that rumor.

Also just traded a strat for a '07 G&L ASAT Classic tele Tribute and it also has that super sweet tone but not the same. White pearl pickguard, antique burst and white maple thinly coated neck.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Looking forward to seeing that!!!:drool:

Duff
May 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I already have two Peavey Gen Ex's. An antique burst and a butterscotch.

I was mentioning that there are two stores by me that have them and will price match if anyone is interested in contacting them.

The G&L tele ASAT is sweet. I've got to figure out how to post clips.

Duffy