PDA

View Full Version : ernie ball strings

Squireman131
April 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
i just ordered a set of hybrid slinky strings, does anyone else play with them and if so how do you guys like them? also is it bad if i switch strings and dont get my nut filed to the right... thing i guess. because im a poor man haha and dont wanna get it filed, or would it just be a good thing to do, can i use it with out getting them filed?

Kodiak3D
April 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I haven't tried the hybrids, but I use Super-Slinkys on my Washburn Idol and regular Slinkys on my X-33. I like both of them, and the hybrid pack is just a mix of the two (the 3 small strings from the Super Slinkys and the larger 3 are from the regular Slinkys, or so I was told).

aeolian
April 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have used hybrid Slinkys and I like them. It did not make enough of a difference for me to sought them out so I just stick with 9-42s or 10-46s depending my mood and my guitar.

If you are only switching by 1 string gauge there's probably no need to do anything to the nut unless you find the strings binding in there. One way to tell is if you are tuning up you hear a plink indicating a string is binding and releasing as you turn the tuner to tighten a string. The same thing can happen if you do big string bends if the string is binding.

Robert
April 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I got a 12 back of regular 09-42 strings. I haven't put a set on yet, but I got a good deal so I bought the whole dozen.

sumitomo
April 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I have been using regulars(10's)but have been tuning down half step(Im really liking the tones Im getting)and thinking on using 11's Sumi :D