PDA

View Full Version : The *New* Cars

Nelskie
April 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM
For those of you who were not aware, Todd Rundgren will be fronting the latest incarnation of The Cars. I'd heard some hub-bub awhile back, but initially thought it was unfounded rumor. I mean, how can The Cars be The Cars without freakzoid alien lead singer Ric Ocasek? Well, check out their new video hear, and decide for yourself:

http://www.thenewcars.com/index.cfm/pk/content/pid/402111

Personally, I'm all for established acts like The Cars trying something new. You'll always have the die-hards knocking it, but from a musician's standpoint, adding a new singer sometimes is the breath of fresh air that drives the band's creative demon into action. Check out Elliot Easton's pipin' hot guitar licks in the video, too. The sound is all classic Cars, right down to the trademark vocal harmonies.

Really, I'm pretty excited about this. These guys were a huge band for me in high school, esp. their first (2) albums. You're All I Got Tonight, Best Friend's Girl, Just What I Needed, Moving In Stereo, etc. - all killer tunes. When they hit the Heartbeat City era, though, they'd become a little too "poppy" for my tastes (except for the song Drive, sung by bassist (the late) Benjamin Orr), although still a very listenable. Must have had something to do with me working at a pizza place where they played it on the jukebox fifty times a night?!! Ya' think? (I still get the dry heaves every time I hear the song Footloose!!)

It'd be interesting to hear what Fretters think of this new line-up, and if they feel that the band can capture some of that "magic in a bottle". Here's the link to their website:

http://www.thenewcars.com/index.cfm

Spudman
April 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I've been listening to this one for a few days and I think it's pretty good if you are into the classic Cars music. Classic Cars, funny!
Todd does a great job fronting and sounding like the missing Ocasec. This is an obvious reflection of his talent. Missing however is Todd's knack for composition. While the album is smartly done the depth that is found in Rundgren's solo material is missing.
Missing even more is the honesty of Ben Orr's voice and energy. Regarded by those who knew him as the 'consummate rock star" Ben added a dimension to the Cars that I don't see in this recording.
I'm not writing this off because it is full of great music. Worth having. What excites me is the potential of this new line up. Pop with Todd's introspection could be a powerful thing.

M29
April 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Hello,

I thought it sounded good. It is odd seeing Todd doing this as I always thought of him as a stand alone kind of guy doing his own thing.

Was that a Super Beatle in the background?

M29

Tone2TheBone
April 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I've always loved the Cars. Glad to see them "back". Great song and Elliot has great tone and still tastefully rips it in his own way.

Nelskie
April 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Missing however is Todd's knack for composition. While the album is smartly done the depth that is found in Rundgren's solo material is missing. Missing even more is the honesty of Ben Orr's voice and energy. Regarded by those who knew him as the 'consummate rock star" Ben added a dimension to the Cars that I don't see in this recording.
Spud - Those are some great observations. However, I don't think Todd approached this new role trying to re-invent the wheel. Ha! Another vehicle-related pun (intended). Anyways, being true to this freshly-incarnated creative union, the band has written (3) new songs, which will all be included on the It's Alive CD hitting stores June 6th. You are spot-on in saying that Todd's influence on an already talented and polished pop outfit could eventually evolve into some pretty powerful material. Judging from the new video, that process has already started. That being said, the upcoming CD & tour will be a good litmus test to see if further exploration is worthwhile, both from a creative and marketing point of view.

I also agree that Ben Orr's contributions are sorely missed. However, for a band as musically and commercially successful as The Cars, it is important to keep things in perspective. Minus two creatively prominent members such as Ben, and lead vocalist Ric Ocasek, they will not be the same band. Yet, there's no reason that they can't lean on some of the original Cars' platinum pop perfection, and give it some new, perhaps even improved flavor - all while staying true to the band's unmistakble sound.

I know we've discussed Elliot Easton (lead guitarist) in another forum thread, and without question his playing is the glue that holds their sound together. I've always admired his fantastic guitar hooks, incredible use of effects (like the flanger-soaked intro to the song You're All I've Got Tonight), penchant for the always tasty, perfectly-timed fill, and impeccably spotless playing style. To me, as a guitarist, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Perhaps I'll venture downstairs after work, and dig their first album out of my vinyl library. That LP is such a fantastic listen!

Tim
April 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hey guys. I can't seem to get the video synchronized. The whole thing plays jerky. So does the audio. Any ideas?

Spudman
April 17th, 2006, 04:23 PM
This thread seems to be an engine for in depth discussion. I'm sure many musical doors will be opened with the new Cars material. My antenna is surely up. Cars music always comes through in a clutch as they always add a dash of flair to their sound. Their music has fueled many current popsters. If the first release is any kind of gauge for what will be coming down the road, then we are in for a very nostalgic ride as they don't seem to have shifted gears since the 1980's. Let's just hope they steer in the right direction and not into the rear view mirror.

How is that for auto references?

Nelskie
April 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Don't quote me on this, but your last post may have just set the FN record for # of subject-related puns in a single message. Your prize: what else, a luxurious Chrysler Cordoba, with rich Corinthian leather! :D

Tim - if the video is playing "jerky", you may want to check your computer's media settings (which can be accessed through the Control Panel). Other reasons it may be doing that is due to a slow internet connection speed, or your computer's hardware is not sufficient to run memory-heavy applications such as streaming video. These are just off the top of my head, and I'm no computer genuis by any stretch of the imagination.

tot_Ou_tard
April 18th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Rick Ocasek was on the Colbert Report last night. Stephen brought out the "on notice" board and asked Rick if he'd like to put anyone on notice. Rick said Todd Rundgren. So Stephen removed business casual "OK, business folks this Friday you can freeball it" and then rumaged around in a box first pulling out the J. Geils Band before finding Todd Rundgren. Rick placed it on the board with a smile.

I guess that he is not happy with Todd fronting the band.

I was never too interested in the Cars, but I have always liked Todd's music.

blogan
April 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM

I don't think you've exhausted them all. Time to get out the Fender and see if that inspires more... :p

warren0728
April 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
you guys are a gas....

ww

Tim
April 18th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Tim - if the video is playing "jerky", you may want to check your computer's media settings (which can be accessed through the Control Panel). Other reasons it may be doing that is due to a slow internet connection speed, or your computer's hardware is not sufficient to run memory-heavy applications such as streaming video. These are just off the top of my head, and I'm no computer genuis by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks Nelskie,

I looked in the Control Panel, but decided I do not know what I am looking at! Thanks for your help.