PDA

View Full Version : Boss DS-1 (Keeley Mod)

Kazz
April 27th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I did a search and could not find where anyone had attempted a Keeley mod on the DS-1. Have any of you tried any mods on this pedal yet?

I find the stock out of the box pedal to be pretty unimpressive when in the chain of guitar (les paul copy with washburn emg select pups) >> DS-1 >> Classic 30

I have tried it both with the amp on clean and using the lead channel as well. I have tried all of the settings that the manual shows...and the only 2 that I have found that even closely appeal to me are the fuzz and crunch settings.

I am really close to giving this pedal away but since I have a desire to tinker...I thought about modding it up a little first and seeing what happens...I paid 12 bucks for this pedal at Guitar Center when they had their grand opening here.

duhvoodooman
April 27th, 2008, 06:11 AM
No experience with the Keeley mods, but I did do one of the Monte Allums mods on a used DS-1 that I bought, and I thought it improved the pedal's intrinsically harsh & trebly tone quite a bit. Here's the link to the post:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5481&highlight=allums

The Allums mod kit was good quality, reasonably priced, and came with good instructions for the the installation.

Spudman
April 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
This might give you some ideas. It's a comparison of Brian Wampler's Indy Guitarist mods on the DS-1.
QmARgeZPTN4

Kazz
April 28th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Wow Spud...now that classic modded pedal is exactly what I think a good distortion pedal should sound like...

On the vintage...at about 3:40 he does a Robert Johnson tune...I believe it is I Believe I'll dust my broom....and he does it really well.

I am going to look into that classic mod....that sounds like a good starting point.....I still have to get my hands on a bad monkey.....fathers day is coming up you know.