PDA

View Full Version : Marshall DSL201/401

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I have recently come down with a severe case of MA GAS. I am looking for a decent amp that will give me the classic Marshall tone. I have heard sound clips of several of them. I saw a couple of solid state demos on the 100DFX, and though it might be a decent choice. In my search I came across a DSL201 in very good condition for a resonable price. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this amp. I think they came in a 201 20 watt, and a 401 40 watt config. I am talking about the combos.
The only thing I have heard about them is that they are VERY hot running and should have a fan.
Any feedback would be apprectiated. I will get a chance to try it out first but I would like to know what to look for.
Thanks in advance.

Rabies
April 27th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I have recently come down with a severe case of MA GAS. I am looking for a decent amp that will give me the classic Marshall tone. I have heard sound clips of several of them. I saw a couple of solid state demos on the 100DFX, and though it might be a decent choice. In my search I came across a DSL201 in very good condition for a resonable price. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this amp. I think they came in a 201 20 watt, and a 401 40 watt config. I am talking about the combos.
The only thing I have heard about them is that they are VERY hot running and should have a fan.
Any feedback would be apprectiated. I will get a chance to try it out first but I would like to know what to look for.
Thanks in advance.

I have no experience with the DSLs but if you are considering a DFX, but you've found a DSL 201 for a good price, I would personally go with the DSL.

20 watts, 12 inch speaker, two channels, all tube Marshall...sounds like fun. :AOK:

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Yea my guitar tech has one, and he recommended it over the DFX. The price is a little high, but I haven't haggled yet.
I still am wondering about any iussues with this series.

Rabies
April 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Yea my guitar tech has one, and he recommended it over the DFX. The price is a little high, but I haven't haggled yet.
I still am wondering about any iussues with this series.

Is the DSL you're looking at priced higher or lower than the 100 DFX plus a cab?

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
The DSL will be between 450 and 499. It is used.
The DFX is new and will be in the 379 range for the head and about the same for the cab. I think I can get the pair for 599. The combo is 459, and again it is brand new.

Rabies
April 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
The DSL will be between 450 and 499. It is used.
The DFX is new and will be in the 379 range for the head and about the same for the cab. I think I can get the pair for 599. The combo is 459, and again it is brand new.

Again, it's just me, but I would go with the DSL for sure! :AOK:

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I agree with you. I will try it out and see what it sounds like. As long as it get that classic Marshall tone, I will be happy. Plus a lot less room required.

Rabies
April 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I agree with you. I will try it out and see what it sounds like. As long as it get that classic Marshall tone, I will be happy. Plus a lot less room required.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find some classic marshall in there somewhere. :AOK:

Plus, it'll be way better on that back. :AOK:

ZMAN
April 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Damn! I just got an emial from my tech and he sold the 201 on Saturday.
Oh well the search continues.