PDA

View Full Version : G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi Hollow

wingsdad
April 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
In the mid-70's I had a '72 Tele Custom that was my go-to ax. I sold her to survive when the thing I was doing in New England folded up in 1981, and I'd regretted it since.

Itching for the penultimate 'Telecaster', 5 weeks ago I decided to take the plunge: I ordered a new customized G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow, with my favorite local GAS Station Owner's help. He was quoted a minimum 6 weeks, as much as 14 weeks til delivery.

This is now my 3rd G&L, my other 2, previously owned.

She came in surprisingly ahead of time, landing Friday morning at the dealer. I got the call, and took my lunch hour to meet & greet her.

When we opened the box, I was worried they'd messed up. I'd upgraded from the standard SKB Molded case (like for my other, much different, ASAT Semi-Hollow) to a black Tolex G&G case. Instead, I saw the even more upgraded Vintage Tweed Cloth G&G case, like the one for my Comanche.

To my relief, here's what I saw when I first opened the case:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/5900c.jpg

That's Cherryburst on a Swamp Ash body with Natural wood top binding, 3-ply Creme Pickguard, Rock Maple neck and fingerboard with a Polished Gloss over Gun-Oil Tint finish.

Semi Hollow? Yep. I took the option to go with no f-hole, getting the acoustic resonance of twin Voice Chambers under the hood.

A few pics in the morning sun yesterday show her natural beauty:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5930.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5926.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5927.jpg

The bridge pickup is Leo Fender's Magnetic Field Design Single Coil, improving on his original Fender creation using 6 ceramic magnets with adjustable polepieces, wax potted. The 6 barrel bridge saddles are solid brass:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/5916c.jpg

At the store, I test drove her with a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8, then with a Peavey Classic 30. While the Classic 30 sounded great with her controlling it, I've been having a blast putting my Tech21 Trademark 60 thru all kinds of things since Friday night. Sounds pretty cool with the Boss MicroCube, too, especially on the Black Face setting. Since all my guitars have thier own personality and thus, names, between her looks and her sounds, I first dubbed her "Cherry Bomb".

EDIT 7-11-08: When I ordered it, the G&L Website AND my dealer's pricelist showed the stock neck pickup as G&L's new Alnico V Nickel-covered Humbucker, with a Duncan Seth Lover SH55N, an Alnico II mag pup, and thus a bit 'softer' or 'silkier' than an Alnico V, previously the stock neck pup, optional at an upgrade charge. I figured I'd just go with the G&L, since I love thier pups. But...now, 3 months later, I learned from the G&L Discussion Group site that it seems G&L erred back in March...they're keeping the Lover stock on Bluesboys, and they updated their website accordingly. Curious on the exact build date anyway - like Leo used to do when Fender was his company, it's 'secretly' hidden in the neck pocket - I took the neck off (build dates neck Apr 2- body/completed Apr 10 08), then the pickguard, and found the Duncan under the hood!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/6239c.jpg

That remorse over letting go of my '72 Tele Custom has been washed away. :)

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Beautiful Wingsdad!

I want one of those (or a Special semihollow).

ted s
April 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Wow Wings, she's a thing of beauty !
As great as she looks in the pictures, I'm sure they don't do her justice !
Good for you, congrats !

wingsdad
April 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Tot & Ted ;)

Beautiful Wingsdad!

I want one of those (or a Special semihollow).

The Special Semi-Hollow (a/k/a ASAT Semi-Hollow) is way different. Here's my ASAT Semi-Hollow:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT/2591c1.jpg

The P-90-ish Jumbo MFD's still snap & twang but produce more distinct mid-range and play 'hotter'. Between them and the massive Tone-Lock bridge instead of stringing thru the body like the Classic's original Tele design, there's definitely more ringing sustain.

sunvalleylaw
April 27th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Dang that thing is beautiful!

Childbride
April 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM

+1... Wings, she is just plain purdy! truly a beautiful lady!:D :D :D

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
It's about $!%#%^ time!!! I've had to keep my mouth or fingers shut about this guitar and almost slipped early on. Wingdad, that is one beautiful guitar (even for a butt ugly one:D ) I knew once it arrived it would take you awhile to put it down to start this thread and I think everyone can agree that it's understandable that you would do that.

So, now that you've grown tired of it, are you sending it my way for a visit and test drive???

Enjoy, I know you've been waiting for that call you got on Friday. Now that the remorse is over, maybe it's time to order another.:AOK:

aeolian
April 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Your "Cherry Bomb" is the bomb!

Steve206
April 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Wings,,

Here's to you, having one more of those, really good days.

Steve

wingsdad
April 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
It's about $!%#%^ time!!! I've had to keep my mouth or fingers shut about this guitar and almost slipped early on.

:beer: You were the first to know I'd oredered it, Strum...I think I even talked to you about it when I was fixing to pull the trigger :confused: I'd dropped a couple of hints around here that I'd ordered her.

Your "Cherry Bomb" is the bomb!
As another special G&L owner & player, that says a lot, a-man. :beer: And you, too, knew this 'bombshell' was coming, almost since I oredered it. And you know the scare I had about the order, but we're bound to keep lips sealed about the resolution ;)

So, now that you've grown tired of it, are you sending it my way for a visit and test drive??? .... Enjoy, I know you've been waiting for that call you got on Friday. Now that the remorse is over, maybe it's time to order another.:AOK:[/

Uh...I'll think about both of those notions, Strum. :)

+1... Wings, she is just plain purdy! truly a beautiful lady!
Ahhh....and the beauty is only skin deep ... ;)

To me, the truest beauty of this guitar, and my other G&L's, lies in this Certificate that came with it:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/BluesboyCert.jpg

And that hangtag in the first shot of her in the case punctuates that:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/HangTagFrt.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/HangTagBk.jpg

Fender makes many a fine guitar today, as many of you know from owning them. But I believe there's a particular kharma about these, and those documents sum it up.

mrmudcat
April 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
:master: :master: :beer:

just strum
April 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wingsdad,

I for one am envious of your purchase and if I had the money I would surely be hunting for a used one or going the ordering route. Since I've known you I don't recall a time that a guitars arrival had you so excited.

I hope there is never a time when you are telling somebody the mistake you made of getting rid of her.

sumitomo
April 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Oh my!!!! Cherry is a good name for her.SSSSSSWing!!! Sumi :D

wingsdad
April 28th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Wingsdad,

I for one am envious of your purchase and if I had the money I would surely be hunting for a used one or going the ordering route. Since I've known you I don't recall a time that a guitars arrival had you so excited.

I hope there is never a time when you are telling somebody the mistake you made of getting rid of her.

Strum,
You've witnessed me do a lot of buying, selling, trading over the past couple of years (?), and you rode along with me for the 5 week wait on this, and yes, this is very different. This is the first guitar I've custom-factory-ordered since my '81 THE STRAT and '82 Rick 360-12BWB. And those 2 are still with me. In fact, there was a time until 12 years ago, those and my Guild D40 were all I had kept from my arsenal of 'bygone days'. So, I made this move at this point in my life with the intention of her joining that select keeper-at-all-costs group.

That said, my eyes are wide open to consider thinning 'the supporting cast', in some sort of order of 'do I really play it?' I want to get down to playing my 'stars' more. My acoustic herd is pretty well set, except for one I'm toying with letting go. My basses are set. But there's probably one electric I could soon live without and not miss.

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hmm, which one? They all look pretty nice. Maybe the '02 ASAT?

wingsdad
April 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hmm, which one? They all look pretty nice. Maybe the '02 ASAT?
Yep, you guessed it, SVL.:AOK: I a-b'd them a lot over the weekend. Left my amp on the same settings to hear and feel the difference in sound and response. I could live without that one, as great as it is.

BTW: I've only guessed the ASAT Special is an '02 by its serial number on the neck being close to other '02's. It may very well be newer than that. I need to take in to my dealer to have them take the neck off for me and check the build date, which is in the neck pocket; G&L makes the necks (they have 5 neck profiles), gives them serial numbers, and puts them aside. Then they make a body & put a specified neck to it, with the true build date going in the pocket at assembly.

EDIT: It's another 'Leo-ism' of G&L's, how in early pre-CBS days, Fender would do the same sort of thing. It's not like modern Fenders or Gibsons or other companies, with proscribed Serial Number conventions that go on a guitar after it's built.

(I'm guessing similarly on the Comanche, with a s/n close to the ASAT Special's, too. I'm taking it in for that checkup from the neck up, too. That's not going anywhere, btw.)

just strum
May 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Boy, a guy gets a new guitar and he just forgets all about his fretter friends that are stuck playing their old guitars.:nono:

So how is that new guitar sounding (read "when are you going to post some clips?")

We need some sound to go with those pics.

Once I get the talent and basketballs to post clips, you guys will be telling me to ease up - until then, let's here some clips.

Spud posted some nice stuff, let's hear that new G&L.

Sprinter
May 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Great looking Asat! :AOK: Before I bought my Asat Claasic Custom I debated on whether to get it or a Bluesboy. I don't regret getting the Asat Classic Custom, but I think I need a Bluesboy to go with it. :thwap:

Sprinter

wingsdad
May 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sprinter...your sig says '16 G&L's' :thwap: 16 and no Bluesboy in that herd?

This one has led me to give up that black & gold ASAT SH. It's in the FS section.

Sprinter
May 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Sprinter...your sig says '16 G&L's' :thwap: 16 and no Bluesboy in that herd?

This one has led me to give up that black & gold ASAT SH. It's in the FS section.

Yep I've got 16 of them. Most of my collection are Leo Fender era (1980-1991) instruments. The Asat Classic Custom, Comanche Studio VI, & 25th Anniversary guitar are the only modern G&L's I have.

Sprinter

wingsdad
November 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Due to personal health and family issues that have developed since April of this year, I'm forced to sell much of my guitar collection to cover medical bills and other mounting debts.

Among the pieces for sale is this:

In the mid-70's I had a '72 Tele Custom that was my go-to ax. I sold her to survive when the thing I was doing in New England folded up in 1981, and I'd regretted it since.

Itching for the penultimate 'Telecaster', 5 weeks ago I decided to take the plunge: I ordered a new customized G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow, with my favorite local GAS Station Owner's help. He was quoted a minimum 6 weeks, as much as 14 weeks til delivery.

This is now my 3rd G&L, my other 2, previously owned.

She came in surprisingly ahead of time, landing Friday morning at the dealer. I got the call, and took my lunch hour to meet & greet her.

When we opened the box, I was worried they'd messed up. I'd upgraded from the standard SKB Molded case (like for my other, much different, ASAT Semi-Hollow) to a black Tolex G&G case. Instead, I saw the even more upgraded Vintage Tweed Cloth G&G case, like the one for my Comanche.

To my relief, here's what I saw when I first opened the case:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/5900c.jpg

That's Cherryburst on a Swamp Ash body with Natural wood top binding, 3-ply Creme Pickguard, Rock Maple neck and fingerboard with a Polished Gloss over Gun-Oil Tint finish.

Semi Hollow? Yep. I took the option to go with no f-hole, getting the acoustic resonance of twin Voice Chambers under the hood.

A few pics in the morning sun yesterday show her natural beauty:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5930.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5926.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5927.jpg

The bridge pickup is Leo Fender's Magnetic Field Design Single Coil, improving on his original Fender creation using 6 ceramic magnets with adjustable polepieces, wax potted. The 6 barrel bridge saddles are solid brass:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/5916c.jpg

At the store, I test drove her with a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8, then with a Peavey Classic 30. While the Classic 30 sounded great with her controlling it, I've been having a blast putting my Tech21 Trademark 60 thru all kinds of things since Friday night. Sounds pretty cool with the Boss MicroCube, too, especially on the Black Face setting. Since all my guitars have thier own personality and thus, names, between her looks and her sounds, I first dubbed her "Cherry Bomb".

EDIT 7-11-08: When I ordered it, the G&L Website AND my dealer's pricelist showed the stock neck pickup as G&L's new Alnico V Nickel-covered Humbucker, with a Duncan Seth Lover SH55N, an Alnico II mag pup, and thus a bit 'softer' or 'silkier' than an Alnico V, previously the stock neck pup, optional at an upgrade charge. I figured I'd just go with the G&L, since I love thier pups. But...now, 3 months later, I learned from the G&L Discussion Group site that it seems G&L erred back in March...they're keeping the Lover stock on Bluesboys, and they updated their website accordingly. Curious on the exact build date anyway - like Leo used to do when Fender was his company, it's 'secretly' hidden in the neck pocket - I took the neck off (build dates neck Apr 2- body/completed Apr 10 08), then the pickguard, and found the Duncan under the hood!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/6239c.jpg

That remorse over letting go of my '72 Tele Custom has been washed away. :)

PM me if interested. Make a reasonable offer.

Thanks.

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wingsdad, I am so sorry you are experiencing trouble. It is a beautiful guitar.

wingsdad
November 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Wingsdad, I am so sorry you are experiencing trouble. It is a beautiful guitar.
Thanks, Steve. It's not fun.

I never got on board here as a 'contributing member' so I can't post in the For Sale section, lacking that privelege.

I have no credit cards and a frozen bank account so PayPal is out of bounds. I hope the mods and powers that be can allow me the series of posts I've pulled up to let forum members know, especially those like you and others who've known me here for the past few years, that these items are for sale.

If not, and they decide to yank my posts out of fairness to the contributing members, then so be it. I'll understand.

I have another guitar and an amp on the block besides those I posted today.

Eric
November 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, this one too? I'm really sorry to hear about your difficulties; from reading your previous posts about this guitar, it's obvious that you love it.

If the mods want you to be a contributing member in order to keep these posts up, I certainly hope they'll PM me first, because I'll gladly pay for the 'cover charge' necessary to bump you up to a contributing member.

Tig
November 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I hate to hear you are going through such difficult times. Hopefully, life will turn around for you and your family very soon. In the meantime, hang in there and fight the good fight. I learned that we do best when we refuse to be a victim and fight to be a survivor.

I really wish I could buy this guitar, but money is tight after Mrs. Tig took the last few months off from work (knee surgery). I've always wanted an ASAT Bluesboy, and this one is a great one. Heck, I'd even keep open the option of you buying it back someday. I'm sure someone will come along and buy it for a fair price.

Take care,
Doug

Katastrophe
November 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Geez, wingsdad, I hope everything gets better for you. I hope you find a good home for your Bluesboy, and that it's one that will let you buy it back when you can.

Miss your posts around here, man. Prayers for health and prosperity, my friend.

Robert
November 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Certainly miss you around here, Wingsdad.

No problem keeping your for sale items up either.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Eric
November 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I have a question for you guys. I don't have much need for this guitar (define 'need,' right?), so I was going to pass on it. But given the cash crunch some are in (that would include you, Tig, given your post), I was wondering if it makes sense to buy this to kind of...keep it in the family, if you will, perhaps with the option to buy it back if circumstances change. I'm not 100% sure I have the cash to buy it off of WD (it would depend on his price), but there's a pretty good shot I have that much saved up in my 'hobby account.'

So I guess my question is whether that would be something that either Tig or Wingsdad would find valuable or helpful. If not, I'll probably just mosey along. But if so, we could probably make something work.

tjcurtin1
November 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Wingsdad - good wishes coming your way for a turnaround of fortunes, I'm sure from all of us at the Fret who have known you and appreciated your friendly posts and insightful help over the years.

Ted

piebaldpython
November 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
WD.....nice to hear from you again brother......but sorry to hear that times are tough for you. Good luck with the sale of some of your herd. Mojo and prayers for you physical and financial health.

Tig
November 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM
That is very thoughtful and much appreciated, Eric. My financial limits and situation are short term and very minor compared to what Wingsdad is likely dealing with, so maybe he could use the idea best.

Childbride
November 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Wings, check your email, please...

wingsdad
November 29th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Geez, I don't know where to start or what to say, folks.

Thanks to all of you. Each of you. There. That's a start.

Actually, Eric, Kat, Tig....that's a mighty strong suggestion about possibly buying them back. Like collateral for a loan. Only not at 25% Loan to Value Pawn Shop prices. But (a) it could be a while before I'd be in any position to do so, and (b) once you put your mitts on this or any of the others, you ain't gonna wanna give 'er up. And I'd totally understand.

Jipes
November 30th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Really sorry for you Wingsdad, the ASAT have a very good reputation one of my friend had one and was really satisfied with it. I just hope things will get better and that the health problem is not too bad :nope I'm not yet looking for another guitar but will pass the word

Eric
November 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Actually, Eric, Kat, Tig....that's a mighty strong suggestion about possibly buying them back. Like collateral for a loan. Only not at 25% Loan to Value Pawn Shop prices. But (a) it could be a while before I'd be in any position to do so, and (b) once you put your mitts on this or any of the others, you ain't gonna wanna give 'er up. And I'd totally understand.
Well, I have no idea what it's worth other than what the non-custom ones go for, so if you could give me an idea of what you'd want for it in order for me to become a guitar steward, I can let you know if it's within the realm of possibility for me. Maybe a PM is in order. And as far as (a) and (b) go, I had already assumed those things, so they're factored in.

kidsmoke
November 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM
PM sent, Wings.

Good Gawd, that is a gorgeous guitar.

sunvalleylaw
November 30th, 2011, 12:03 PM
It looks like a great guitar! If I was in the market . . .

wingsdad
November 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Well, I have no idea what it's worth other than what the non-custom ones go for, so if you could give me an idea of what you'd want for it in order for me to become a guitar steward, I can let you know if it's within the realm of possibility for me. Maybe a PM is in order. And as far as (a) and (b) go, I had already assumed those things, so they're factored in.
PM to be sent, Eric.

wingsdad
November 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Certainly miss you around here, Wingsdad.

No problem keeping your for sale items up either.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Robert,
While this G&L ASAT thread is drawing attention, these other threads I 'mickey-moused' since I can't access placing a new post in For Sale, seem to be either unnoticed or falling by the wayside. Except for the Washburn Mando thread, all the others....my post announcing them for sale is the last one in each (as of writing this message):

Epiphone Sheraton II (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/6063-Epiphone-Sheraton-II?p=218038#post218038)

Epiphone Casino (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/6025-Epiphone-Casino?p=218037#post218037)

Peavey Powerslide (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/19538-Peavey-Powerslide?p=218045#post218045)

Shecter Blackjack S-1 (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/19537-Shecter-Blackjack-S-1?p=218040#post218040)

Washburn M6SW mandolin (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/10487-Washburn-Mando!-(-)?p=218057#post218057)

I couldn't find threads that had them prominent to mickey mouse, but I have 2 other items I need to sell...A Washburn NV100C semi-solid nylon string a/e and a Tech 21 NYC Trademark 60 1x12 amph.