PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you can become a "pro" player within weeks?

Robert
April 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
You can probably guess my answer... but in any case - I wrote up an article about the subject on my site at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/play-guitar-like-pro.php

I wrote this because people have been emailing me asking if I think they should buy this or that DVD that promises you'll be playing like a pro in no time.

Does anyone else think that we live in a time where we are used to being able to buy anything we need? There is a pill, a book, a DVD, a fitness program, some software - you name it - that promises to get us where we want to be. The problem is, some things you just can't buy. The skill by someone who has played guitar for 10 years or more, that is not something you can buy canned in the form of a DVD or a book. Same goes for many other things in life. From my own life with running - I didn't just sign up for a exercise program at the local gym and ran 31:35 for the 10k. Nope, it took me years to get to that kind of speed.

I hope I'm not discouraging anyone here, but it just annoys me to see these scammers promise so much skill acquiring if you buy their products. It's just wrong, and it makes me sad to see. I bet many fall for this crap too.

Let's be real, and realize that playing an instrument can be a fantastic hobby or interest. It's something that will likely be part of us for the rest of our lives and will bring many smiles and moments of fulfillment and enjoyment. Now, that is a profound and positive force in itself, one that is worth spending time to master.

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think your comments are discouraging, but they are reality. I think when someone starts up playing guitar they have certain artists that have inspired them to play guitar. That desire becomes so strong that they want quick results and they lose sight of the fact that most artist have a history of playing (practicing) that is unknown to the general public.

Once they start, I think a good percentage lose interest because it's not as easy as it looks and they can not or are not willing to dedicate the time. Those that stick with the journey realize there is a lot of work and find enjoyment in the challenges that they are confronted with.

As for the DVD's and books, many offer something of value, but to play like a pro - I don't think it's out there to be purchased.

The only thing that can help you achieve that is practice, practice, practice, and read the right material. Still it provides no guarantees, but it does provide the best chance for success.

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
That 'splains why I still suck ;)

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM

As long as you have the word "still" in that statement, it means you haven't given up. I think when it comes to guitar, that's more than half the battle.

WackyT
April 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Ditto. Was wondering why I hadn't been offered a recording contract yet.:thwap:

street music
April 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Robert,I agree with what you are saying 100%.
I have taken the time to look at my own process, I have several books,CDs, DVDs and yes I have learned a small amount from each of these items. I will say that I got about as much from them as I did my instructor, however I have learned more from you and Mark Wein and the sites that you guys operate than anything that has come along. As Just Strum said nothing can replace PRACTICE_PRACTICE -PRACTICE, as I have been at this less than 3 years. I have gotten bored with some of the book stuff, enjoyed a lot of on line video from YOUTUBE and been inspired to find that I'm not the only guy in his early 50s that is enjoying playing a guitar.
Maybe a few can pick it up quickly, we know lots of people have more natural talent. In those cases I think a few lessons and you are on your way. I saw one kid, 13 yrs old just over a year ago that in four weeks of lessons was playing 15 songs end to end and playing them very well. All he needed was a guitar and start. IT can happen but not very often.IMHO.:D

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
As long as you have the word "still" in that statement, it means you haven't given up. I think when it comes to guitar, that's more than half the battle.
The other half is dealing with still sucking next year & the year after that ... ;).

Childbride
April 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
[sigh]

unfortunately, and even more and more these days, we live in a Society of Entitlement.

be a pro in weeks?!? [sigh] if it was EASY, EVERYONE would be doing it. i get more pride and self-satisfaction of knowing i practiced for the last three hours [which i did, and i am proud :) ] to do my first gig, and that i'm getting better... but consider myself a complete novice yet... that's not the point. the training, the little steps, the minor victories, the love of creating something... this is the Journey. this Builds Character.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easy. Period. End of Story.

guitar is BY FAR the hardest instrument i've ever attempted, and i love it for it's difficulties and intricacies.

i intend to spend the rest of my life calling myself a novice, b/c my girls teach me something new every single day.

and i love that.

:)

Spudman
April 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I think it is possible. Especially when you consider how low in talent the professional level is these days. :whatever:

Still, there is no substitute for spending hours on the band stand. That's really what will get you to a professional level. You have to deliver the goods time after time.

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I think it is possible. Especially when you consider how low in talent the professional level is these days. :whatever:

I considered that too, but put the "flukes" and "flash in the pans" in a different group. The true talent usually have worked very hard to achieve their skill.

Still, there is no substitute for spending hours on the band stand. That's really what will get you to a professional level. You have to deliver the goods time after time.

Also thought about that and consider that practice - more of "on the job training". Since you've traveled that path, I'm sure you realized a lot of improvement from when you started performing compared to where you are today. On the band stand and all the practice in between. It's dedication that makes you better. We all progress at a different speed, but it wouldn't happen without dedication.

Robert
April 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Maybe the term "pro" needs clarification. To me, that means someone who can play with a professional act and not screw up in the process. As example, this could be a person called on to go on tour with Bruce Springsteen. You'd have to learn all the songs really well, go to some practices and show the band you know the stuff inside out, and then go on tour and do your job (no sloppiness accepted, or you will get fired). That's my view on a "pro".

Such a player must have a lot of experience in playing in different situations. Just talented, chops and knowledge isn't enough. You gotta be very comfortable on stage, and know what to do in any situation you are thrown into. That's a "pro" to me.

But still, just being able to go from novice to playing guitar really good - well enough to sound somewhat like a pro after just a few weeks, based on some silly DVD full of "secrets" is just bologna to me.

Do you think any of the great guitar players out there woke up one day and thought, hmm, I think I'll start a career as a pro guitar player. I just need to buy this DVD and I'll be on my way to fame. Of course not. I'll bet my running shoes on that they started playing in the first place because they enjoyed it. Success and fame may or may not come later, but it's rarely the reason a person gets into playing guitar in the first place.

aeolian
April 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM
For the level of 'pro' you are talking about one first has to be excellent on the instrument, then one has to be quite good with theory so that he can pick up on new material rapidly. I know I'm not anywhere close to that.

I actually auditioned for a band last weekend. I found a band looking for a rhythm guitarist and I thought that it would be a good opportunity to see if I can keep up. They send me a setlist and within the week I'm to learn 4 or 5 songs and then play them in their rehearsal. I did quite well in the rehearsal but I did not try to play any solos. On one of the songs they wanted to play in a different key than the original recording so I have to think on my feet a bit. They picked someone else who auditioned because he is a much better guitarist and also has a lot of stage experience; as compared to me who has only played in front of people a few times.

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
...but it's rarely the reason a person gets into playing guitar in the first place.

Chicks!!!

For a lot of guys it's the chicks, but if that is the driver, then you have groups like Motley Cru - they are an act, not artists.

Artist are driven by the challenge and the art.

IMHO

street music
April 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I play because I love music and guitars as well as chicks(DON'T TELL THE WIFE). I would hope to learn to play with others in the near future. The PRO as ROBERT has explained it sure won't come from buying some 59.95 DVD package and a few weeks of practice.
I think you must have a heart to feel music before you can play music, not just say"Hey man chicks love guitar players so lets start a band", it's not that easy IMHO.:rockon:

player
April 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM
You can probably guess my answer... but in any case - I wrote up an article about the subject on my site at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/play-guitar-like-pro.php

I wrote this because people have been emailing me asking if I think they should buy this or that DVD that promises you'll be playing like a pro in no time.

Does anyone else think that we live in a time where we are used to being able to buy anything we need? There is a pill, a book, a DVD, a fitness program, some software - you name it - that promises to get us where we want to be. The problem is, some things you just can't buy. The skill by someone who has played guitar for 10 years or more, that is not something you can buy canned in the form of a DVD or a book. Same goes for many other things in life. From my own life with running - I didn't just sign up for a exercise program at the local gym and ran 31:35 for the 10k. Nope, it took me years to get to that kind of speed.

I hope I'm not discouraging anyone here, but it just annoys me to see these scammers promise so much skill acquiring if you buy their products. It's just wrong, and it makes me sad to see. I bet many fall for this crap too.

Let's be real, and realize that playing an instrument can be a fantastic hobby or interest. It's something that will likely be part of us for the rest of our lives and will bring many smiles and moments of fulfillment and enjoyment. Now, that is a profound and positive force in itself, one that is worth spending time to master.

waiting on the (ugh) IRS then maybe if still available I'll be able to swing Roberts current sale on his dvd set..sounds excellent Robert:AOK:

me thinks it is musically or politically incorrect to promise things (professional) in any amount of time.Good is acceptable intermediate is better but as stated let's get real.:poke:

Spudman
April 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
But still, just being able to go from novice to playing guitar really good - well enough to sound somewhat like a pro after just a few weeks, based on some silly DVD full of "secrets" is just bologna to me.

Exactly! There might be some improvement in tone and articulation as a result of the instruction but it takes more than that to be a pro.

First you have to learn to drink all night and get up the next day and sound like it never happened. You also have to be an excellent consort and procurer of substances. And you also have to dress shabbily but still make it look chic.

That's what it takes to be a pro.:dude:

LagrangeCalvert
April 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Exactly!
First you have to learn to drink all night and get up the next day and sound like it never happened. You also have to be an excellent consort and procurer of substances. And you also have to dress shabbily but still make it look chic.

That's what it takes to be a pro.:dude:

In a sick way I agree with this....oh and have your Band Van - or as I call it "The Misery Machine" break down on you at the GIG........ this too is part of being a professional....

in all seriousness....

Well.....I completely agree with you Rob. You cannot become a pro in weeks, or even months. It takes YEARS - or at least two or so.

I have been playing for twenty years. Gigged with more than 5 acts and filled in with bands that needed someone "in a hurry". Played dives, classy joints, AND the clubs. Broken strings on stage, had things go wrong, things go even worse...... and kept my cool... I know the theory and I can read music, have filled in for guitar teachers - I have had my fair share of exp.

But in no way am I a pro..... I do not make my living by playing guitar.....

YET. I'm only 26 and with the band I am in now I feel we are ALL professional level - us going into the studio this summer to cut a 7 song EP is our shot at getting signed and reaching that level.

I really think a bunch of the "are you a pro" is two things..... attitude/composure and adaptability....IMHO.

jpfeifer
April 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Yes, we definitely live in a time where people expect "instant" everything. I saw this a lot when I was teaching guitar. I had several students who would come in and tell my how they had mastered "Guitar Hero" after a few weeks and now were ready to master the "real" guitar.

I would tell them that guitar was a life-long pursuit and that it would take several years to build up the skills to play lead guitar well. This always seemed to dissapoint them. It was frustrating to me as the teacher. I would try to tell them to enjoy the process of learning guitar and be excited about learning itself rather than thinking of it like mastering "Guitar Hero". There is no scoring system for real guitar, only measuring against your own goals and progress at becoming a better player.

I think that this is the same reason that shows like "American Idol" really irritate me too. Since when did music become a sporting event that makes instant stars out of the winners? To think of the people that would probably be voted off of a show like this right away if they were to be trying to make it today ... like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Can you imagine how long a person singing like Mark Knopfler would last in front of Simon? anyway, I guess my rant is over.

I agree with you Robert. There is no instant way to become a pro musician. It's crazy for people to even expect that. There seem to be fewer people who expect to get good by working hard at it over time.

-- Jim

stingx
April 28th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I have seen videos of so called prodigous children that, with no prior musical training, were able to figure out in a very short time and then play back exactly what they heard the way they heard it. I know this is a very small percentage but in this case the answer would be yes. However, the vast majority of us do not have this ability and therefore have to practice routinely - some more adept then other, of course. Just like anything else, the more you put in the more you get out and there is no quick and canned substitute for experience.

ZMAN
April 28th, 2008, 06:17 AM
My personal experience speaks for itself. I started playing Electric guitar in 1968. I played without any real lessons or teacher. I stopped playing after a year or two and picked the guitar up occasionally for about 30 years. Then in around 1996 I took it up as a hobby again and started the books, DVD, and equipment search. I was looking for that magic fix that would make me a player in a couple of weeks. I found it frustrating and chased my tail for many years. Then it finally hit me that I had to sit down and learn theory and practice. I learned scales and tablature and finally started to make headway. I found the recorded versions of sheet music with tabs, and learned to play in the styles of my favourite blues artists. Finally I was able to retire from work very early in life and I commited 1 to 2 hours a day to practice. So I really feel that a good teacher would have saved me years of work and I would recommend anyone who wants to become a great player see professionaly help. Not a mental health practitioner but a music teacher.
They will turn all the lights on and you will finally "get it". It took me 40 years to do that on my own.

Rabies
April 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Yes, we definitely live in a time where people expect "instant" everything. I saw this a lot when I was teaching guitar. I had several students who would come in and tell my how they had mastered "Guitar Hero" after a few weeks and now were ready to master the "real" guitar.

I would tell them that guitar was a life-long pursuit and that it would take several years to build up the skills to play lead guitar well. This always seemed to dissapoint them. It was frustrating to me as the teacher. I would try to tell them to enjoy the process of learning guitar and be excited about learning itself rather than thinking of it like mastering "Guitar Hero". There is no scoring system for real guitar, only measuring against your own goals and progress at becoming a better player.

I think that this is the same reason that shows like "American Idol" really irritate me too. Since when did music become a sporting event that makes instant stars out of the winners? To think of the people that would probably be voted off of a show like this right away if they were to be trying to make it today ... like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Can you imagine how long a person singing like Mark Knopfler would last in front of Simon? anyway, I guess my rant is over.

Nice rant...I agree. Especially with the bold part. :AOK:

I've had several people that find out I play guitar and then state that they would love to learn to play. Then they tell me, "I play 'Guitar Hero', it's a cool game...that will probably help me get a head start on learning, right?"

To which I reply, "uhhm...no. Not really" :thwap:

Bomber
April 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hmmm, is there a thread on here that has a list of some esential reading or vidsfor beginners?

Justaguyin_nc
April 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, is there a thread on here that has a list of some esential reading or vidsfor beginners?

Hi Bomber, just by typing in what your looking for in the search at the top of the forum pages may be helpfull...

here is search with Beginner in it

http://www.thefret.net/search.php?searchid=160127

or

Book
http://www.thefret.net/search.php?searchid=160133

Beginner Video
http://www.thefret.net/search.php?searchid=160134

If these do not help, ask a specific type question.. someone here probably has an answer for you.
BTW, there is a bunch of us Beginner types here... well worth reading and sticking around.

Oh, there is also a feature called similar threads at the bottom of these messages.. they come in handy alot!

I dont know if i ever seen a list.. but many different posts on the subjects..

JohnM
April 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I think there is a lot of wasted energy in just about every hobby/profession/vocation...whatever...generated by the people that are interested in SELLING something, not that the item is necessarily NEEDED, it's just the nature of capitalism...which isn't in itself a bad thing, but it sure muddies the waters in terms of quality control.

There are millions of 'Become a .........' methods out there for everything imaginable, but I think it's just a way to sell something, not always because it's a groundbreaking revelation that will change your life!

indianjjy
April 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Let's be real, and realize that playing an instrument can be a fantastic hobby or interest. It's something that will likely be part of us for the rest of our lives and will bring many smiles and moments of fulfillment and enjoyment. Now, that is a profound and positive force in itself, one that is worth spending time to master.Nothing comes without hard work...

player
April 29th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Nothing comes without hard work
this is an absolute truth but still has not turned me off on Roberts Videos:)
excellent reference points

Jimi75
April 30th, 2008, 01:50 AM
What most poeple forget is that the WAY to your AIM, which in this case is supposed to be playing guitar very well, is FUN! Means that if you shortcut the Way and start playing good immediately after short time, you missed all the FUN! ;)

You can definitely not become a good player in a few weeks. A good player has always a bag full of experiences that influence his playing and that are the salt and pepper to his playing. That is the reason why I do not care a lot about 13year old kids playing great. They lack experience! I was good at 14-16 years, above average I would say for my age and where I lived, but man did I lack musical knowledge and experience - every Bluesplayer made me look stupid with a hand full of notes and I was frozen in awe!