PDA

View Full Version : Warm Ups

cookie monster
April 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hey!

Heres some warm up excersises that I have found really usefull :)

This ones really boring but it helps finger dexterity and speed:

--------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2------
-----------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------5-4-3-2
---------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------
------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------
---------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------
-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------
(Sorry, can't fit it all in, but you just carry on up the fret board)

Play this one in triplets to start with, and then move on to sextuplets when youve got that down. It helps position switching and it sounds really happy :) (Its in G major Pentatonic)

-----------------------------------------15-17-19--
--------------------------------12 15 17-----------
------------------------7-9-12-----------------
----------------7-9-12-----------------------------
--------5-7-10---------------------------------
-3-5-7----------------------------------------

And then Descend...

Practisceing these SLOWLY and with a metronome WILL help you're playing !

Feel free to criticise and add you're own exercises :)

Cookie Monster

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I recommend sticking your hands in warm water for 5 minutes before you play.

just strum
April 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Don't you do that to someone when they are asleep?

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Sure, strum, if you want them to wake up and play screaming guitar solos while they take a leak! :D

just strum
April 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Sure, strum, if you want them to wake up and play screaming guitar solos while they take a leak! :D

As long as they're not using my guitar:rotflmao:

Tim
April 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Do you have warm water in Canada? Or do you wait for the spring thaw? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
No we don't have warm water here, we buy it from Florida.

peachhead
May 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM
No we don't have warm water here, we buy it from Florida.

Florida :eek: that's where all our water went last year. Next time just call me, I'll cut you a much better deal, without the middleman.

luvmyshiner
May 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Crap . . . you guys have me laughin' my backside off.:rotflmao:

Here's a solution for our Canadian fretters, just pee on your hands. It'll be warm, you won't have to buy it from Florida, and when you get to be my age you do it all the time . . . just not on purpose.:cry:

peachhead
May 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
that reminds me...

man goes to doc and asks for ******. doc says, well, okay, but you have to be careful, at your age, don't take more than one. man says, I only need a half of one anyway. Doc, with raised eyebrows, says, oh yeah? man says, yeah....

I only want to keep from peeing on my shoes. :D

and now to get back on topic... thanks for the tips, CM!! :AOK:

just strum
May 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
that reminds me...

man goes to doc and asks for ******. doc says, well, okay, but you have to be careful, at your age, don't take more than one. man says, I only need a half of one anyway. Doc, with raised eyebrows, says, oh yeah? man says, yeah....

I only want to keep from peeing on my shoes. :D

and now to get back on topic... thanks for the tips, CM!! :AOK:

going back off topic - that's why I always felt I should be washing my shoes more so than my hands when I'm done.

cookie monster
May 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM
going back off topic

No Thanks.

Anybody have a serious contribution to make?

Robert
May 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Sorry that this thread got out of hand, but my suggestion is serious. I don't do any warm up exercises really, but sticking my hands in warm water works well for me. The worst thing for me is to play a gig with cold hands - I can barely play then. Playing exercises won't warm me up, but the warm water on my fingers and hands for a few minutes do wonders.

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I don't usually do warms ups, but today when I was trying something difficult my fretting hand started cramping up, so I tried Cookie Monster's first warm up & it loosened my hand right up. Thanks!

peachhead
May 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Seriously, I do the first one regularly. It's one my first instructor gave me and it works well for me. As far as the second one- I also do E minor/G major pentatonics, without a metronome though (as I don't have one)....

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
without a metronome though (as I don't have one)....
Go get you one...or even better get a Boss RC-2 it has some drum rhythms & you can record loops & play over your own backing tracks.

warren0728
May 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
i think the best way to warm up is to have a nice single malt scotch! \_/ \_/

ww

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM
i think the best way to warm up is to have a nice single malt scotch! \_/ \_/

ww
Warren, I'm seeing double already...that looks like TWO nice single malt scotches.

peachhead
May 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I have used http://www.metronomeonline.com/ but admittedly not regularly. I haven't splurged on any extras for my strat yet as I am mostly acoustic at the moment.... but I like the looks of that, I will put it on my list (my list that keeps getting longer and longer...)

warren0728
May 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Warren, I'm seeing double already...that looks like TWO nice single malt scotches.
my momma always said "if you don't bring enough to share don't bring any at all!" :beer:

here's some more for my fretter friends to warm up with (happy playin')!

\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

ww

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/
View through the fence of a mutant cow in the neighbor's yard.

A scotch-expressing cow with 6 taps!?! Thank God for pollution!

warren0728
May 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM
A scotch-expressing cow with 6 taps!?!
now that makes me want to take up farming!! :beer:

ww :D

sunvalleylaw
May 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM
To get back on topic, Satriani shared some pure warm ups he uses in Guitar Player a couple of issues back. He is doing an advice for beginners series. I will dig up the article and post the exercise if I can find it.

cookie monster
May 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Sunvalleylaw! Someones got the idea. Do they perhaps include a chromatic bass line and some jazzy chords? 'cos I've recently been doing that with my guitar teacher.

Robert, I also wash my hands before playing,but only briefly to remove any sweat which could hinder my playing.

CM :AOK:

Robert
May 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Cookie Monster, I did not mean I wash my hands. I warm them up, with quite hot water for a few minutes. Then when I start playing, they are nice and warm and I can play stretchy chords and fast licks without feeling sluggish.