PDA

View Full Version : Next To Heaven (great gear content)

warren0728
April 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM
So a friend of mine has been wantoing me to come over to his house to check out his studio setup. He's in a band and is a really good musician (multiple instruments). So i went over there last night to hang out while he and his harp player (who rights most of the bands lyrics) were going to do some mix downs on a couple of their tunes.

Soooo...i get over there and when i walk in and look to the right i see 2 marshall 1/2 stacks with marshall 50 watt heads and beside those 2 was another marshall 1/2 stack with the 60 watt marshall with all the effects.

Sitting on a guitar stand between me and all that marshall goodness was a 25/50 anniversary les paul (http://www.lespaulforum.com/slubarticle/2550/2550.html)! I almost slipped on my own drool as i walked into the room.

I commented on how sweet his setup was and he told me to have at it!

The guitar was running through a rack tube preamp and then out of stereo outputs through his effects processor and into the 2 50 watt marshall 1/2 stacks....yes stereo marshall goodness!

Man what great tones came out of that setup. It was amazing to me how softly i could play and then with pick attack only really raise the volume!

I also plug the lp straight into one of the 1/2 stacks and of course it sounded great then too.

Man what a great time....plus i got to hang out while they were working out arrangements and such for a new song.

Now i really want a Les Paul....i must have one! :DR

ww

duhvoodooman
April 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Now i really want a Les Paul....i must have one! :DR
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518341

I like the cherry sunburst or the tranparent blue, but the black is a real steal at only $380! Unless you're just dying to be separated from two grand or so to get "Gibson" on the headstock, the Epiphone LP's are the way to go, IMO....

Tim
April 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM
GAS time again at Warren's house!!!

warren0728
April 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Unless you're just dying to be separated from two grand or so to get "Gibson" on the headstock, the Epiphone LP's are the way to go, IMO....
i have my friend Ron looking out for a good "player condition" gibson...not a collectors condition and will probably spend the bucks to get a gibson. I'm noy in a hurry so i'll wait till something "right" comes along.

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Marshalls and Les Paul you say? Yup.
The more things change...the more they stay the same. :)

Nelskie
April 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
. . . and will probably spend the bucks to get a gibson.

You will, indeed. Even the "bottom feeders" of the Gibson Les Paul line will hover in the $700 - $800 territory, and even then, the condition might be a bit sketchy. The positive is that you have a knowledgeable guitar man on the case, so your chances at finding a good one are greatly improved.

Not sure how many Les Paul's you've had a chance to play, or if you've had an opportunity to compare a Gibson model to an Epiphone model. But as an Epiphone player myself, I would just say that you might be surprised.

Anyways, it's always fun to hear about another guitarist that has succumbed to the timeless spell of the Les Paul, and the lure of her silky, luscious tone.

warren0728
April 19th, 2006, 09:34 PM
i've played a lot of epis and i agree they are really good (love their amps too!). Most of my guitars are cheap knockoffs...my most expensive guitar is the mim tele standard (that i love)....thought i would treat myself to an american legend. Like i said, i'm not in a hurry and i'm looking for a player, not a collectors piece so when ron comes across a good one at a decent price i will probably pick it up.

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Warren you got a PM.