PDA

View Full Version : Friday - the punk rock ballad and rude boys

sunvalleylaw
May 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
I am feeling punky today, and thought I'd post a punk rock ballad from Green Day. The "American Idiot" album is ironic to me as punk originally was a reaction in part to large arena, concert and operatic style rock. So Green Day comes out with a punk rock opera, complete with a punk rock ballad! Green Day has a lot of critics, but I think they tapped into the disaffected feelings of the youth of the sprawling suburbia of the west coast fairly well.

Simple chord changes, power chords, and sentimental feelings wrapped up into one. It might make Joe Strummer and Sid Vicious roll over in their graves, but I like it.

uj4qfCNQB6s

And I am tacking this one on because I am a lawyer feeling a little rude boy in my in my personality today. :D Not commenting on my or any other marriage, I just like the song, and how the rude boy dances around with the judge in the song. :D

YM7oBFi0oN8&feature=related

just strum
May 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Nice selection Steve. I had not heard the second one before and I am a fan of ska/reggae.

aeolian
May 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Steve and Strum, remember a few weeks ago Strum posted the Foxboro Hot Tubs myspace page and the song "Mother Mary?" Last night I sat down and learned the song. Not much to it but really fun to play, and almost no solo to have to figure out. Pretty much like most Green Day songs.

My favorites in terms of raggae and ska are Bob Marley, UB40 and Madness.

just strum
May 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Pretty much like most Green Day songs.

that's what makes them fun and they are so short you don't get lost.

My favorites in terms of raggae and ska are Bob Marley, UB40 and Madness.

Throw in The Beat (later known as The English Beat)

Edit: Sorry, I meant the English Beat (later to be known as The Beat)

urLRoVUzg3Q

Algonquin
May 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Ahhh... the English Beat! Now you're talkin, Gents! :AOK:

Good call SVL

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I totally dig Green Day. They packed the pavillion when they came on the American Idiot tour. My daughter and I loved it. Good choice for today.