PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm back

Mark
April 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
After twenty years of just occasional strumming on my old Ovation acoustic. The fire has been lit again. Started playing when I was 14 mostly jammin with friends. Then at 19 went on the road as a Stage manager/Pyro tech for a band called Chango (high energy latin rock) or as Billboard said about us "Santana carbon copy but these guys really pull it off" four years touring the band broke up and life went on. Raised a family took up other hobbies like motorcycles, flying, building computers. Started my own business a few years ago and have been very fortunate that it has become so successful so quickly. Recently the old flame has started flickering again and I am now awaiting the delivery of my Fender EC Strat, VoxAD 50VT, and a Vox wah pedal. I gotta say I havent been this excited since my first solo flight. I really enjoy the blues and old classic rock. I do plan to greatly improve from where I left off 20 years ago since my two other old jammin buddies are no longer with me, Mr. Burbon and Mary J Uwanna LOL. Yes back in the day we jammed and partyed maybe to excess at times....OK well a lot of the time! It is really amazing where the technology has taken us. Just looking around at whats available for the musician today compared to twenty plus years ago is mind boggling. Theres stuff now we could only dream about that is available and affordable, just amazing. Well hows that for and introduction? Ill shut up now LOL Great site seems like good folks here. So now Ill get back to waitin for my stuff oh BTW waiting sux!

Regards
Mark

warren0728
April 21st, 2006, 11:55 AM
welcome mark...glad you found us...while you are waiting for your gear read through some of the archives...lots of great info on you soon-to-be amp and lots of comedic relief too!

ww

blogan
April 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
Mark, welcome to F.N. This is a great community. Glad you found us! Sounds like you have some good stuff on the way. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on it when you receive it. Keep that fire burning... :R

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM
I love to hear about other geezers with passion! I only wish I had a successful business to fuel my desires. Welcome!

Nelskie
April 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM
. . . went on the road as a Stage manager/Pyro tech for a band called Chango (high energy latin rock) . . .
High energy latin rock with pyro! Awesome! That sounds like one kickin' show. Welcome to the fray, Mark.

Tim
April 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
Welcome Mark. You found a good home here. There are lots of talented musicians (not geezers) that are members of this forum. Enjoy your stay and watch out for topics that seem to stay off to the left or right. Oh yea, keep an eye open for Tot Ou Tard !!!

Spudman
April 21st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Tom Petty: "The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part."

Congratulations on getting back into what you love. I'm surprised you stayed away and sold your stuff. You are far more brave than I am. I hang on to all my stuff like a crutch.
May I offer some advice? Hide your credit card and check book. If you stay on the forum you are going to end up buying way more stuff. I think we might change the name to GASnet. We all love stuff!

I do plan to greatly improve from where I left off 20 years ago since my two other old jammin buddies are no longer with me, Mr. Burbon and Mary J Uwanna LOL. Yes back in the day we jammed and partyed maybe to excess at times....OK well a lot of the time! It is really amazing where the technology has taken us. Just looking around at whats available for the musician today compared to twenty plus years ago is mind boggling. Mark

Yes technology and time are wonderful things. The Bourbon is 20 years older and Mary has gotten into the steroids! :D

Hope you enjoy hanging out at the Fret.

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 06:42 PM
Enjoy your stay and watch out for topics that seem to stay off to the left or right. Oh yea, keep an eye open for Tot Ou Tard !!!
One eye on the ditch....it's at least as interesting there as on the track.

......train keep a rolling ain't gonna roll 'round here no mooOOoooore. :D

ZoSo65
April 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Welcome aboard Mark, Glad to have you :)

Mark
April 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks a lot guys!! Glad to be here. Ill be soakin up all that I can here and elsewhere I might burn out Musicians friends server checkin my order status. I guess I could have gone over to guitar center and gotten my stuff but It puts a smirk on my face not to pay a couple of hundred in taxes to the beloved Peoples republik of Kalifornia. I have been brushing up on the old Ovation but its strictly a strumming guitar even with Light guage strings its still like tryin to bend railroad tracks.

As far as hiding the checkbook and CC I know this drill all to well LMAO whatever you start with is only the "starter kit" so you can figure out what is needed to get to the next level where ever that may be. Oh well good things come to them that wait. Im really lookin forward to being able to record with my computer as a practice tool and for pleasure (something not available twenty years ago) lord knows I got the computers to do it. Well thanks for the welcome folks Ill be around for sure. BTW nice web site Robert I checked out the backing tracks to practice to really cool and lotsa good info as well.

duhvoodooman
April 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Welcome, Mark! We have much in common!

Raised a family took up other hobbies like....building computers.
Still raising one (not sure that ever stops!) and love to build PC's and fiddle around with 'em. Check out my website (link in sig, below)

Recently the old flame has started flickering again and I am now awaiting the delivery of my Fender EC Strat, VoxAD 50VT, and a Vox wah pedal.
I have an '89 or '90 (not sure from the S/N) Strat Plus that was basically the precursor to the EC model. Nice instrument! This past Christmas, I bought a VOX AD30VT, and then picked up a Dunlop CryBaby for when those White Room/Voodoo Chile urges hit!

I really enjoy the blues and old classic rock.
Amen. bruddah! And the AD50VT gives you plenty of amp models (esp. the lefthand side of the dial) to gives you those classic rock and blues tones. One suggestion--pick yourself up a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive pedal ($40 new). Fantastic for adding a little edge to some of the cleaner amp models, and particularly useful for blues. I use mine with the Boutique CL, Black 2x12 and Tweed 4x10 models all the time.

I do plan to greatly improve from where I left off 20 years ago since my two other old jammin buddies are no longer with me, Mr. Burbon and Mary J Uwanna LOL.
Yeah, it's funny how your "friends" can hold you back! ;) A clear mind is a great help, if (like me!) you have more enthusiasm than talent! :DR

I'm sure you're gonna like it here, Mark. Great bunch of people--open, knowledgeable, and funny, too!

M29
June 7th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Welcome Mark to Robert's The Fret.Net! I hope you are still not waiting for your ad50vt, I have been experimenting with mine for a couple months now and I am finding new sounds all the time.
This is a great place to hang out as you have probably already found.

M29