PDA

View Full Version : I now own an AD30VT

aeolian
April 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM
I bought a used AD30VT over the weekend. The previous owner has only had it for about 6 months (he gave me his receipt) and said he's only played it 4-6 hours.

I have spent a couple of hours on the amp so far, I'm finding that I need to spend a lot more time on it to learn how to tweak the sound to my liking. Last night I was playing with the Boutique OD setting and found that by playing with the gain I can get it to just breaking up, which was quite a nice tone. That's the kind of stuff that will take time to discover.

I now have a couple of questions. I have found that I'm not particularly impressed with the bass sound of this amp: it doesn't have a tight bass tone that I like. I'm wondering whether that can be due to the speaker not having been broken in; or should I consider upgrading the speaker like I've read many do? The other question I have is regarding the tube in the amp. Have people found an improvment by putting in a better quality tube? I have heard recommendations for the Groove Tube 12AX7M. Is that a worthwhile mod?

I thank you in advance for any advice.

Slowhand
April 21st, 2006, 02:58 PM
The best upgrade that you can do is to change the speaker to something like the Celestion Classic G10 heritage this will give a better bass.The valves for some reason to do with it being a modeling amp don't seem to make much difference, but the original can be somewhat suspect so it might be worth changing just to be sure

Nelskie
April 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM
I have spent a couple of hours on the amp so far, I'm finding that I need to spend a lot more time on it to learn how to tweak the sound to my liking.
aeolian - Really, a few hours isn't much more than a blip on the radar as far as finding out what a piece of gear can do. My advice to you at this time is to become much more acquainted with your amplifier, before you start swapping things out. There are many posts and links throughout this forum as to how to get the most out of the Vox Valvetronix amps, both sound-wise and effects-wise. Once you get a better feel for what you can do with the amp, then see if your opinion of the tone is still the same. If it is, maybe then you do some mods. Another thing you might want to consider is getting a DigiTech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive pedal, which could easily tighten things up a bit in the bass dept., as well as warm up the overall tone of the amp. At $39, it's a spankin' good deal, and you wouldn't have to fuss with opening your amp up. It's all plug and play. Just a thought.

I myself have a Fender Cyber Twin amplifier, which is a hybrid amp along kind of the same lines as the Vox ADxxVT series amps - maybe on a slightly grander scale. I bought that amp last June, and even today, I am still only scratching the surface of its capabilities. That's (10) months, bro'!

Hang in there, and give it some time. Who knows, you might just find that particular tone in there, and w/o having to invest any more $$. ;)

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM
I have found that I'm not particularly impressed with the bass sound of this amp: it doesn't have a tight bass tone that I like. I'm wondering whether that can be due to the speaker not having been broken in; or should I consider upgrading the speaker like I've read many do? The other question I have is regarding the tube in the amp. Have people found an improvment by putting in a better quality tube? I have heard recommendations for the Groove Tube 12AX7M. Is that a worthwhile mod?
In the opinion of myself & many other AD30VT owners, BY FAR the biggest upgrade you can make to the amp is to replace the cheap stock speaker with a better one. Most owners seem to opt for the Celestion G10 Vintage, but there are many other options available in 8-ohm amp speakers. I went with the G10 and am very pleased with the results. It tamed the harshness in the highs and firmed up the rather loose base.

I also replaced the stock tube with exactly the one you mention, but the difference is pretty subtle compared to the dramatic improvement with the speaker upgrade. Unless you have a bad tube (and this should be obvious), I'm not sure I'd recommend fooling around with it.

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 05:20 PM
Ditto on the speaker change mine has the Celestion, but experimenting a while as the bard (Nelskie) suggests is a good idea.

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
....but experimenting a while as the bard (Nelskie) suggests is a good idea.
I agree. I'd spend a few hours with the amp before making any changes.

marnold
April 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Is replacing the speaker a simple "unplug-unscrew-plug in-screw in" procedure? I've never taken the back off my AD30VT, so I don't know. What do Celestion G10s go for these days?

warren0728
April 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
ive had the back of my 30 off a couple of times to fix the input jack. The speaker replacement would be a piece of cake. Take the back of, unhook the speaker wires, take the speaker out, put in the new speaker (i am assuming the speaker mounting holes would be the same) reconnect the wires and replace the back. Could be done in less than 30 minutes.

ww

duhvoodooman
April 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Is replacing the speaker a simple "unplug-unscrew-plug in-screw in" procedure? I've never taken the back off my AD30VT, so I don't know.
All shall be revealed HERE (http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/spkr_swap.htm)....

What do Celestion G10s go for these days?
All the big music houses list them at $85. But I found them for $77 HERE (http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=191&osCsid=7fbcf509bf67dcdb42abed64b3a2784b), and Music123.com price-matched them down to $73 for me.

marnold
April 22nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
You da man, dvm!

djmcconnell
July 31st, 2008, 01:33 PM
I just put in a Celestion G10 (using Duvoodoman's web page on the topic), and it really does sound much better!

It took me a total of about 20 minutes (the back cover needed a little coaxing to come free -- thanks to a letter opener).

just strum
July 31st, 2008, 01:52 PM
For those that actually did the change - is it worth $85. I always look at a mod as "bang for the buck", so what it is worth $85 in this mod.

Sounds abrasive, but I'm just looking for some direct answers.

aeolian
July 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM
I changed my speaker to a Celestion G10 about a year and a half ago and it did sound dramatically better.

As far as whether it is worth the $85 I'd say this: if you think the sound of your AD30VT is not as good as you like then it is worth it. Over the lifetime you will play this amp $85 is practically nothing. Another way to look at it is this: what can you spend $85 on that will give you a better overall sound.

just strum
July 31st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Another way to look at it is this: what can you spend $85 on that will give you a better overall sound.

I thought you were going to ask what could you spend $85 on that would give me more pleasure.

I still wonder what's the $85 of sound pleasure. The only way to answer my question is to hear clips of both.

duhvoodooman
July 31st, 2008, 06:23 PM
The stock AD30VT speaker has a flabby bottom and a brittle top-end. Not horribly so, but quite noticeable. The G10 cleaned up both. Worth every penny, in my book.

Steve206
August 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Slightly off topic,,,,,

What if a guy had a desire to find out what the amp would sound like through a 12" speaker? Two 12's?

I am just thinking out loud here, but keep coming back to that "2 foot rule" in
boats. Where after deciding on just the size you want, a stray thought passes through about two more feet. After all, if 18 feet costs a certain amount, how can I not be considering a 20 footer?

I was thinking about the possibility of taking the 30 apart and either resizing it into a new enclosure with a 12" speaker, or just creating a separate cabinet and using it as a 30 watt head.

Steve

just strum
August 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Slightly off topic,,,,,

What if a guy had a desire to find out what the amp would sound like through a 12" speaker? Two 12's?

boats. Where after deciding on just the size you want, a stray thought passes through about two more feet. After all, if 18 feet costs a certain amount, how can I not be considering a 20 footer?

I was thinking about the possibility of taking the 30 apart and either resizing it into a new enclosure with a 12" speaker, or just creating a separate cabinet and using it as a 30 watt head.

Steve

I'm no amp guy, but another thought would be two 12" in one or two separate cabs with a switch to turn off the main speaker. This way when you want to travel, you still have the original amp for easy hauling.

I simplified it, but I'm sure DVM or one of the others could throw out a thumbs up or down to my idea.

TS808
August 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Slightly off topic,,,,,

Steve
I have the AD50VT 212 and I put two Celestion G12 Centuries (Neo Dogs) in the amp...I thought I was insane spending that much for speakers for that amp, but WOW. The 212 configuration on the 50-watt sounds great. The Valvetronix always seems to be my "go to" amp.

just strum
August 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The stock AD30VT speaker has a flabby bottom and a brittle top-end. Not horribly so, but quite noticeable. The G10 cleaned up both. Worth every penny, in my book.

Used the AD30VT a lot today and the idea of switching the speaker is starting to look like the direction I am going to go. I figure I have an amp that I like and a inexpensive and easy upgrade is better than looking at getting another amp.

While I'm swapping the speakers maybe I'll take the front off and cook me up some hotdogs.