PDA

View Full Version : Back to Canada

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Received call yesterday that I need to go back up to Canada. Staying on Orbitor Drive in Mississauga. Trying to find a route that keeps me off 407, but doesn't add time to the drive. I'm not sure if there is a way to do that.

Don't like 407 with the cameras to determine toll cost. Two trips and shorts drives on 407 cost me about $30. I was thinking of getting some tape and changing the numbers on my plates, maybe make a 7 an 8.

I was thinking of throwing my Squier in the trunk along with a Honeytone estudio so I can at least practice a little before I hit the sack Monday night. Most likely coming back Tuesday afternoon, but if I get stuck at least I'll have a guitar. Good idea, eh (see I picked something up on my previous trips)

:canada:

Robert
May 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Too bad you're all out the east side there. You should come out west (Alberta) - there are lotsa good jam nights and beer at the pubs here.

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I could always tell the boss I got lost. She always tells me I don't follow directions.:D

luvmyshiner
May 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Heh, heh, in honor of your trip to Canada my friend, CB and I watched that great Canadian classic . . . STRANGE BREW!:bravo: :canada: :canada:

Why the boys never got the Oscar nod is a question I lay awake at night pondering.:thwap:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P5020002.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P5020010.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P5020019.jpg

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
:rotflmao:

ZMAN
May 4th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Are you flying or driving. Orbitor drive is on the other side of Highway 401 from the Airport.
If you are driving you will probably come through Buffalo.
Take QEW(Queen Elizabeth Way) to Toronto, take Highway 403 exit and stay on Highway 403 until you get to the Eglinton Ave exit. Orbitor ave is off Eglington.
This is pretty simple but I can get a more detailed description with exits numbers if you like.
The only factor will be rush hour traffic between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. on the QEW after The Burlington Skyway it gets congested.

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Are you flying or driving. Orbitor drive is on the other side of Highway 401 from the Airport.
If you are driving you will probably come through Buffalo.
Take QEW(Queen Elizabeth Way) to Toronto, take Highway 403 exit and stay on Highway 403 until you get to the Eglinton Ave exit. Orbitor ave is off Eglington.
This is pretty simple but I can get a more detailed description with exits numbers if you like.
The only factor will be rush hour traffic between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. on the QEW after The Burlington Skyway it gets congested.

ZMAN,

I won't be hitting the QEW until around 1:00 PM. When I take the 403 am I looking for north, south, east, or west? Once on 403 how long (time wise, nothing metric) will I be on there before reaching Eglinton Ave and which direction on Eglinton. Since I got lost the first two times up there, all the roads and streets sound very familiar:thwap:

Thanks,

ZMAN
May 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
When you take the 403 you will be heading North away from the Lake. The cut off is at the Ford Plant. Stay way right.
You will then go North for about 1 to 2 miles. At this point there is a link to the 407 so stay right again. You will now travel East, still on the 403. I would say you will then be on the 403 for about 5 to 10 mins. before you get to the Eglington exit.
On the Eglington exit you will be travelling east towards Toronto. Stay right.
http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&q1=orbiter%20drive,%20mississauga,%20ontario&trf=0&lon=-79.918671&lat=43.755225&mag=9
You can use this map but it is a ltitle confusing. The QEW shows as 403, and the green section from Burlington is actually the 407.
I will try to get you a better map showing the trip from Buffalo to Orbitor.

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Got it, stay right. I either find the hotel or make a big circle around the lake or if it's a sharp right, I'm in the lake.

thanks,

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Keep your lights off.

It freaks the natives & the cameras won't be able to see you ;).

ZMAN
May 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yea have fun. Off Eglington you will be turning left onto Orbitor. You can't miss it. On the right is Centennial Park. It has a ski hill. When my daughter played soccer for Team Canada they used to run up and down that hill.
I am very familiar with that area.
There is some construction in St. Catharines where I live and it slows to 50 mph. Wave when you pass through.

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Yea have fun. Off Eglington you will be turning left onto Orbitor. You can't miss it. On the right is Centennial Park. It has a ski hill. When my daughter played soccer for Team Canada they used to run up and down that hill.
I am very familiar with that area.
Shows how dumb us 'muricans are. We run

back

&

forth

on the field when we play soccer.

No wonder it hasn't become popular in the States.

ZMAN
May 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
You think you americans are bad, I went Ice fishing and almost got run over by the Zamboni!

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Gotta love the QEW - the speed limit and heavy fines are posted everywhere and there isn't a single car or truck doing the speed limit. I can be doing 85 mph (I believe 137 KPH) and have large trucks just blowing by me.

ZMAN
May 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I drove it back and forth to Hamitlon for 30 years. 65 MPH on cruise. Never had a problem and never passed anyone.

ted s
May 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Zmans directions directions sound good, you may get pretty hosed up from the Skyway bridge onward like Z says.
I'll be keep'n an eye out for rogue Ohio plates and no headlights though,

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You think you americans are bad, I went Ice fishing and almost got run over by the Zamboni!
Barum-bum!

(warning obscure Canadian lyrics follow)

Once I was the King of Spain

Now the Leafs call me up to drive the Zamboni

just strum
May 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Zmans directions directions sound good, you may get pretty hosed up from the Skyway bridge onward like Z says.
I'll be keep'n an eye out for rogue Ohio plates and no headlights though,

I tend to drive faster when I'm lost, so if you see Ohio plates with a lot of police cars following, it's not OJ. I may get lost, but I make good time.

Algonquin
May 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Barum-bum!

(warning obscure Canadian lyrics follow)

Once I was the King of Spain

Now the Leafs call me up to drive the Zamboni

(warning obscure off topic Canadian reply)

Remember, slower pizza's more luscious
The King of Spain never rushes!!!

Tot... you've got Moxy! :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2008, 05:51 AM
(warning obscure off topic Canadian reply)

Remember, slower pizza's more luscious
The King of Spain never rushes!!!

Tot... you've got Moxy! :AOK:

Yep!

I know the state that has the lowest highest point.

Even though I am a 'murican, I'm not in the Michigan Militia.

just strum
May 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Getting ready to hit the road and not a moment too soon - I have no idea what tot and Algonquin are talking about.:whatever:

Algonquin
May 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I have no idea what tot and Algonquin are talking about.:whatever:
And if someone could clue Tot and I in... we'd both be greatful! ;)

King of Spain was a humourous song by Toronto area band, Moxy Fruvous.
gfp5x1IDm_8
The bands video on YouTube isn't great quality, so I threw this one up.

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
And if someone could clue Tot and I in... we'd both be greatful! ;)

King of Spain was a humourous song by Toronto area band, Moxy Fruvous.

Moxy Frouvous is quite witty & fun.

ZMAN
May 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Well he got a hell of a day to travel. Very nice weather in our area today.
I didn't see any congestion on the traffic cameras so it was probably clear sailing for him.
I am sure he will report when he returns.

just strum
May 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Arrived safe and although directions were good, I got lost. It was that nice day and taking in the scenery. I got on 403, driving along and enjoying the great views and before I know it I am in Bradford. Yep, went west young man, not east as I should have. Turned around went east on 403 and then on to 427 to Eglington. Once I got off there, it was a 5 minute drive.

Anyway, been here 3 times in the last couple of months and got lost three times - this time was definitely my fault.

ted s
May 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Strum, you mean Brantford, like the home of Gretsky ? Bradford is WAY north of where you wanted to go. Either way, that's still a pretty good left turn Clyde.

just strum
May 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Strum, you mean Brantford, like the home of Gretsky ? Bradford is WAY north of where you wanted to go. Either way, that's still a pretty good left turn Clyde.

Yep, you're right, it was Brantford. That explains why everything was named after Gretsky.

The only bad part about it was the fact as I made my way back towards Mississauga, the traffic was getting pretty heavy.

Oh two bad things - the hotel sucks. If I end up staying another night, I may look for something along the QEW closer to Niagara Falls. That way I can get up early, avoid traffic and drive right into work.

ZMAN
May 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Boy you were lost. Brantford is about an hour from the cut off. There are not many hotels between Toronto and Niagara Falls along the highway.
There are a couple in Burlington, then One in Grimbsy, There are a couple at the Lake Street exit in St. Catharines, and then a ton in Niagara Falls.
I was thinking Orbitor was kind of in a Business/industrial area. Not too scenic for sure.
The Toronto area can be quite confusing. It has totally moved both east and west and has become one giant area with about 6 million people. From Burlington to Ajax.
Good luck on the trip back.
Hope the trip was worth it!

ted s
May 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
You wouldn't have got lost if you had daytime running lights.
Strummi, my garage goes cheap and I'm in Burlington. He77, there's already a couch in there. Cost = Clapton ticket or an Fender from your "source".
Either way you get to keep the couch.

BTW, anybody want a couch ?

Algonquin
May 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
You wouldn't have got lost if you had daytime running lights.
Strummi, my garage goes cheap and I'm in Burlington. He77, there's already a couch in there. Cost = Clapton ticket or an Fender from your "source".
Either way you get to keep the couch.

BTW, anybody want a couch ?
:bravo:

just strum
May 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Got home in 4 hrs, 45 minutes - beat my record by 30 minutes.

For those that are on the metric system - that's equals, uhh, it's about - hmmm, Tot, you want to tell the folks the metric conversion, my witty maker is broke.

Algonquin
May 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Glad you made it home safe Strummy!

Enjoy your evening!

David

luvmyshiner
May 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
. . . my witty maker is broke.

RIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT. Nows our chance folks. Strummy is open season.:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM

For those that are on the metric system - that's equals, uhh, it's about - hmmm, Tot, you want to tell the folks the metric conversion, my witty maker is broke.
:D I wouldn't believe that it could happen. :D

I don't know the metric equivalent but in the UK you can drink many, many Imperial Pints in 4 hours & 45 minutes.

ted s
May 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
You made it back without getting lost ?! that's great you didn't end up in New Hampshire.
Maybe your boss should provide you with a GPS ?

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
You made it back without getting lost ?! that's great you didn't end up in New Hampshire.

No, don't get lost going home. I leave from Georgetown, go down Mountainview to Steeles Rd, to Trafalgar rd to 403.

I noticed a New Holiday Inn on 403 and Trafalgar. That might be the place to stay. I was smart, I put down bread crumbs when I left so I can find my way back.

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Trust me Ted, it makes for good office humor.

peachhead
May 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Per Bob and Doug: double it, and add 30. So that would be...9.5 hrs. :D