PDA

View Full Version : "It's a fine line between clever and stupid"

markb
May 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Since I bought my Epi SG I've found that I want a more Marshally "clean" tone from my Trademark 60 so I set to work with the knobs on channel 1 and got a fine sounding Bassman meets JTM45 tone. Whack it with a Monkey for solos and I was in blues-rock heaven. So I was still feeling quite pleased with myself while I did a little tidying around the house and stumbled on the manual for the TM60. There in the user settings section I found one I'd noted years ago when I first got the amp. It had the exact same settings and was labelled "JTM". :thwap:

Brian Krashpad
May 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Haha. I've never had an amp that actually came with tweaking directions to get specific sounds. I've heard tell they exist, but I always buy used and often old tube stuff, and neither usually come with directions.

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Haha. I've never had an amp that actually came with tweaking directions to get specific sounds. I've heard tell they exist, but I always buy used and often old tube stuff, and neither usually come with directions.
Usually the directions suck. I'm amazed that Mark stimbled onto the suggested settings.

wingsdad
May 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I've got a TM60, too, and the manual has a chart of settings, showing the knob positions. The circuitry on the amp, especially how the 2 channels' midrange control works, is really clever, and it amazes me how the minutest of tweaks to a control can make a significant change.

markb
May 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I should clarify that this was a setting I'd noted myself but that was about 10 years and many guitars ago. I suspect I hit on it when I was mostly playing a Les Paul. As Wingsdad says the TM60's controls are incredibly interactive, it pays to only change one knob at a time for big ahanges and then fine tune it with the other tone controls very gently.