PDA

View Full Version : Favorite All-time Band or Artist...

Rabies
May 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Pardon me if this has been done before...I did a search..no dice.

Who is your ABSOLUTE FAVORITE band or artist? If you were stranded on a desert island and were restricted to the entire catalog of only ONE band or artist...who would it be?

Chime in. This interests me as far as Fret.netters.

As for me it's very tough. I'm sure it is for everyone else, as well. :confused:

My personal all time fave: Pink Floyd. :AOK:

street music
May 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It would be a even pick Beatles- Eagles. Favorite individual artist John Mellencamp.

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
It's been done before in various forms, but there are new members here and I couldn't find any of the previous ones to bump up, so...

That is a difficult question to narrow it to one, but I am going with the Beatles for the simple fact that they are the band that opened my eyes and ears to music. If there was any "I want to be" for me, it was to be one of the Beatles (oh, and Superman).

The Beatles may not have performed one of my favorite songs , but for consistency over the years I would say they are the one.

As you will see, there will be people that will respond with more than one favorite.

Spudman
May 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Favorite old school - Beatles - Deep Purple
Favorite new - The Flower Kings

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Based on the age range here as was established in the other thread, I think the Beatles will get a lot of votes. I was curious what younger people would think and asked my 16 year old and 18 year old. I read the question as written by Rabies and they both responded - The Beatles.

I would ask my wife, but she would give two - Barry and Barbara. :puke:

Rabies
May 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
No, no, no, folks. I love the Beatles, too. But this thread indicates that you pick only...

ONE band or artist. Narrow it down. :AOK:

Spudman
May 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
OK then...if I had to go to a desert island...and I could take one band's entire catalog...then The Flower Kings. The Beatles just don't have enough material for the island thing and The Flower Kings have love in their music too.

Cripes! You can't ask these questions of a Libra.:thwap:

peachhead
May 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I like the Beatles too- but to narrow it down to one, it would have to be the Allman Bros. For nearly 40 years of music, there is something in their catalog to reflect nearly every mood I could be in. Although I've never been stranded on a desert island, so I have no idea what kind of mood THAT would put me in...

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Cripes! You can't ask these questions of a Libra.:thwap:

Think if the question was - your not married and you could take one woman to the island who would you pick - we would be here all night and it wouldn't matter if you were a Libra or not. Of course we would reword it for CB and GG:D

Robert
May 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Easy. Jimi Hendrix.

Spudman
May 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Think if the question was - your not married and you could take one woman to the island who would you pick - we would be here all night and it wouldn't matter if you were a Libra or not. Of course we would reword it for CB and GG:D

That's a much easier question - Jessica Biel :D

sunvalleylaw
May 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The Beatles. Hardly had to think about it.

Tone2TheBone
May 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM
The Beatles all the way.

sumitomo
May 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Allman brothers band/Albert King artist nuf said. Sumi:D

t_ross33
May 7th, 2008, 11:25 PM
If I had to narrow it down to only one...

Man! that's tough! :thwap:

I'm gonna say "John R. Cash" and let it ride...

Kodiak3D
May 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM
While my favorite actually changes quite a bit, I'd have to say Led Zeppelin for now.

markb
May 8th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Richard Thompson - as long as I can count his Fairport Convention and other band stuff as well. That took all of ten seconds to think about.

pes_laul
May 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I would say foofighters most defenitley

duhvoodooman
May 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM
SRV!

R_of_G
May 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Miles Davis [partiuclarly 1970-75]

aeolian
May 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
The Beatles, no question about it. I'm continuously amazed by what they do with melody and words; most recent example that struck me is the solo from Michelle.

If I have to pick a current artist I'd go with Gorillaz.

Tone2TheBone
May 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Just one? Hard choice between Salma Hayek and Elizabeth Shue.... :D

Fender or Gibson....Coke or Pepsi...Crocs or Sandals...and only on one island? Why not 2 islands with one of each on them...and a canoe. :dude:

bigoldron
May 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Jessica Simpson, no wait - Sandra Bullock, no wait - Julia Roberts, no wait - Nancy Wilson, no wait - can I pick more than one? :confused:

As far as what band, Skynyrd or ZZ Top

Rabies
May 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
This thread turned very quickly...:confused: :D :bravo:

Tone2TheBone
May 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh crap how could I forget the lovely and talented Nancy! :thwap:

na26mDoaBvc

umm....what were we talking about again? J/K. The Beatles is the greatest band ever. They were just 4 guys too. Led Zeppelin wasn't bad either.

bigoldron
May 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM

I saw Heart about a year ago and Nancy STILL is HOT!!! And, yes, she still can play! Of course, I remember seeing them on their "Dog and Butterfly" tour about 30+ years ago and they both were hotties back then. Ann's lost her figure, but she still has the pipes to belt out the songs! Keep on rockin', Girls!!! :rockon:

Rabies
May 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM

na26mDoaBvc

umm....what were we talking about again? J/K. The Beatles is the greatest band ever. They were just 4 guys too. Led Zeppelin wasn't bad either.

Wow. I've heard many different versions/covers of The Battle of Evermore, and that is the absolute best I've heard. :master:

Blaze
May 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Frank Zappa for his music & his madness (R.i.p)..

The Beatles for the melodies.

Blazes:master:

Tone2TheBone
May 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I saw Heart about a year ago and Nancy STILL is HOT!!! And, yes, she still can play! Of course, I remember seeing them on their "Dog and Butterfly" tour about 30+ years ago and they both were hotties back then. Ann's lost her figure, but she still has the pipes to belt out the songs! Keep on rockin', Girls!!! :rockon:

Well Ann's looking a little bit like the Vicar of Bibley (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/vicarofdibley/) these days yeah but I still love her. She's one of my fav vocalists of ALL time no doubt whatsoever. Ann is just way hot....shes smokin'. An all around American girl. :)

Gil Janus
May 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
+1 The Beatles for the melodies. Never saw them live. I miss George and John.

The Grateful Dead for the best live music shows - I saw them for the first time on 02-11-69 at the Fillmore East - Janis Joplin was on the bill and the last time was on 06-18-95 at Giants Stadium, NJ - Dylan opened for them. I saw them over 200 times at many different venues, many different members.

Gil :cool:

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
+1 The Beatles for the melodies. Never saw them live. I miss George and John.

As a kid I had tickets to see them when they played Cleveland Stadium in approximately 1968 and I didn't go. I would never had been able to hear them, but just to be there and say I saw them live would be nice.

Sigh, I don't have any idea how many times I've expressed that regret.http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/violin.gif

Ro3b
May 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'd build a raft and find another damn island.

bigoldron
May 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Well Ann's looking a little bit like the Vicar of Bibley (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/vicarofdibley/) these days yeah but I still love her. She's one of my fav vocalists of ALL time no doubt whatsoever. Ann is just way hot....shes smokin'. An all around American girl. :)

You can say that again! :dude:

player
May 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
No, no, no, folks. I love the Beatles, too. But this thread indicates that you pick only...

ONE band or artist. Narrow it down. :AOK:

I would have to say Eagles being they were called Americas best representitives of our music.not to mention Joe Walsh(one of my faves)as player/performers go.Right this is tough actually being a Floydian myself.