PDA

View Full Version : HELP--I think my pots are wired wrong

luvmyshiner
May 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm in the process of swapping out the pots on my D'Aquisto. I'm also changing pick guards so last night I swapped out and glued the support bracket. Tonight I was going to glue the pick up onto the other pick guard, so I started looking at how everything was wired and taking notes. I have the original Benedetto wiring diagram and I noticed things didn't look right. I don't know if maybe there are multiple ways to wire these things or what, but I wanted to check with y'all before I went any further. The first picture is the Benedetto wiring diagram, the second is my drawing of how they are currently wired.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/WiringDiagram.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/WiringDiagram001.jpg

I apologize for my total lack of skill when it comes to drawing. If anything is unclear or if y'all have questions please let me know. And thanks for the help.

markb
May 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM
It looks OK. There are two ways to wire a tone control, your drawing shows the most common version while the Benedetto diagram uses the so-called 50s wiring scheme. Some claim that the 50s wiring gives a smoother tone control sweep but either version works.

luvmyshiner
May 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks Mark. I just didn't want to screw anything up.

Kazz
May 8th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Shiner.....had you played the D'Aquisto through an amp yet? If you had and have a base tone on it....you might consider trying the original wiring schematic to see how it alters the tone.

If you want that creamy jazz tone...this might be the time to try it out bro

duhvoodooman
May 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Yeah, both of those will work--the Benedetto version takes only the attenuated signal that is passed on from the vol. pot to the tone control, while your actual wiring takes the unattenuated signal to it. This would seem to be the opportune time to see if you prefer one over the other. I'm not sure you'll hear any discernible difference, but it's only a couple of solder joints to change and find out....

luvmyshiner
May 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the input y'all. I feel a lot more comfortable now. Kazz, I have played it through the amp, and I think I will give the original wiring a shot. Voodoo, I suspect if I can tell a difference it will probably be attributable to the fact that I'm using 500k pots as opposed to the 250k pots currently on her. I'll let y'all know.