PDA

View Full Version : Dream Guitar

marnold
May 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
If you could design a guitar and get a custom shop to make it, what would it look like? I've played enough different guitars now that I think I finally have a good grip on what I'd like.

Body wood: I'm not very particular. Swamp ash, alder, basswood.
Body style: Strat or Jackson Dinky, no pickguard
Body color: candy apple red
Neck/fretboard: both bird's eye maple, thin C-shape, tung oil or satin finish
Inlays: black sharkies! or nothing at all
Frets: 24 jumbo
Radius: flat as a pancake (sorry, Warren) ~16"
Headstock: Jackson-style pointy, maybe even reverse-swept
Bridge: either string-through-body fixed or Floyd Rose Speedloader
Pickup configuration: HSH or HSS
Controls: one volume, one tone, five-way, two push-pulls to tap humbucker(s) and to add the bridge/neck and all-three-pickup tones
Jack: on the side of the guitar instead of Strat-style

I think this would be a great all-around guitar. Obviously this reveals my heavy-metal heart. FWIW, I ran this through Carvin's site and I could get a DC135 guitar made pretty close to those specs for $1,183 with a case.

SuperSwede
May 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hell yes (oh sorry pastor! ;) )... reverse headstocks looks awesome!

duhvoodooman
May 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
This has been my answer for several months, and I'm stickin' with it. Carvin "California Carved Top" CT6M in deep triple-step blue on quilted maple with abalone block fretboard inlays. Have mercy!! This guitar just floats my boat! :drool: :dude:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/ct6m-bluequilt-64082.jpg

Tone2TheBone
May 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I don't have one specifically but I know that it would definately be Strat shaped. It's gotta have the recessed curvature on the body heel for your arm. Either that or a carved top (maple) like Voo's Carvin. Gotta have some kind of curve on the body. I've been liking the tiger striped maple tops but the color I've been digging lately is that grayish black. Have to have 2 single coils like a Strat and maybe a humbucker that I could coil tap for the bridge. 5 way switch. Abalone dot inlays. Whammy bar. Unfinished maple neck like the old Charvel necks - compound radius. That would be my dream guitar.......right now anyway.

SuperSwede
May 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM
At the moment I am really jealous of a friends Firebird V. Dual mini humbuckers and plays like a dream. That is my dreamguitar for today.

Kazz
May 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I like the way Voods Carvin looks....but I want it with an SSH setup and with the H being something like a pearly gates. Oh yeah...and with a black Floyd Rose

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I like the way Voods Carvin looks....but I want it with an SSH setup and with the H being something like a pearly gates. Oh yeah...and with a black Floyd Rose
You can't get the CT6 in that configuration, but how about this DC135 model? Doesn't have the sexy carved top, but still a mighty sweet lookin' axe!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/dc135c-blueburstflame-83580.jpg