PDA

View Full Version : The new "American" Standard Strat..

ted s
May 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
.. is actually assembled in Mexico ?
Forgive me for :deadhorse: but I have been meaning to hear some opinions.
So, if that is the case, then why fork out a g-note ?
I'm not saying it's good or bad, just wanna hear your thoughts.

And one more thing.. been meaning to ask this as well..
What's the deal with staggered pole pieces ? why are they staggered ?

wingsdad
May 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Leo staggered the pole pieces on the original Strat's pickups to compensate and even out string response. Plain 3rd/G strings were still a trick of the future for James Burton to come up on a Tele.

As for the guitar in question? What's the difference between Made in Ensenada, Mexico by Mexicans and Made in Corona, CA by Mexicans?

I guess about 15 bucks an hour and a Green Card...

TS808
June 1st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Forgive me for :deadhorse: but I have been meaning to hear some opinions.
So, if that is the case, then why fork out a g-note ?
I'm not saying it's good or bad, just wanna hear your thoughts.

And one more thing.. been meaning to ask this as well..
What's the deal with staggered pole pieces ? why are they staggered ?

The American strats in my opinion, are worth every penny. Better woods, better finishes, better necks in terms of finish and fretwork, and good electronics. That's not to say that the Mexican strats are sub-par...they are good too. I have two American series strats (a 2003 and a 2004) and they are built like tanks.

$1000 for a strat is not bad actually when you compare to the prices of G&L or even forking over large bucks for a PRS or a Gibson. Fender has managed to keep their prices fairly steady while still producing a quality instrument. If they can do that by having them assembled in Mexico, no complaints from me.

I've seen too that even alot of the MIM strats have gone up $100-200 compared to a few years ago. For better hardware, pickups and finishes, a $300 gap between the price of a MIM strat and a MIA strat is not unreasonable...

wingsdad
June 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
$1000 for a strat is not bad actually when you compare to the prices of G&L ...

Actually, a 'basic' G&L Legacy is pretty much the equivalent to a 'standard' Fender American Strat, 'vintage' staggered fixed polepiece pickups rather than the Magnietic Field Design adjustable pp pups, and a much, much better 'tremolo' with the G&L dual-fulcrum. G&L produces these 'stock' in batches for dealers in standard grade finishes on alder bodies - sunburst, red, or white with either rosewood or maple (satin, not glossed) fingerboards.

The color choice is limited, but they generally go NEW for around $700-$750-$800, depending on how many the dealer buys to get a wholesale break, including either a gig bag or soft cover hardfoam case. And they're still handmade and assembled in the USA.

Sure, you can custom order one, get any color standard grade finish on alder, or swamp ash if you prefer, any of the custom premium finishes on swamp ash, a glossed maple fingerboard, an SKB molded case or a G&G wood hardshell case and pay $1,200 to $1,600. Maybe just a bit more than a Fender American Standard. To be fair, compare that price to a custom-ordered Fender.

tremoloman
June 19th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Prices have gone up substantially over the past few years. My American Deluxe was $950 in 2004 and now that doesn't even cover the cost of the standard American model. Yikes.

Strat Vader
September 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Hi guys. I gave up my Parker endorsement to play the new American Standard Strats, and believe me...they are not assembled in Mexico. They are built, assembled, and shipped from the same place it says on the back plate: "Corona California."

I'm a newbie here at the forum, and not wanting to shoot my mouth off and possibly be wrong, I called my rep at Fender, and he confirmed that only the "Standard Strats" are made and assembled in Mexico.

The G&L's are awesome instruments as well. I guess anything Leo had his hand in would be amazing. The first thing I noticed about my new American Standard Strat was how light it was compared to all others I've ever played. They also stay in tune much better than their notorious cousins do.

Anyway, I just wanted to clear that misnomer up, because when I first read this post I almost spit my coffee out on my monitor, thinking anything's possible in this day and age. Luckily the new American Standard is just that...American. Take care!

hubberjub
September 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Ever if they were made in Mexico that is still North America. What is American anymore. Toyota builds their trucks in Texas while GM builds theirs in Mexico and Canada. As long as you're happy with the value of the finished product that is all that matters.

Strat Vader
September 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
That's a great point hubberjub. I have a couple MIM's and the difference in quality is incomparable to that of the American Standard. But you're right as rain that the only thing that matters, is how happy the consumer is with the finished product. Take care.

ted s
September 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Since starting this post, I bought one a few weeks ago and am beyond happy with it. Great quality imo. I did try 3 of them back to back and all were consistent. New strings and slight bridge adjustment is all I have done. It's a dream.

Strat Vader
September 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Congrats on the new Strat Ted! :bravo: I think you're going to love it for sure. I play with a fairly low action and a very straight neck. These new Strats have the Bi-Flex" truss rods and are a dream to adjust.

How do you like the new SKB hardshell case? Pretty cool I think.

Take care.

Robert
September 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Congrats Ted! Now you have to start a new thread full of fresh pics and clips! :D

stingx
September 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I have an original American Standard and I own an MIM JV. I've been playing well over two decades and I have guitars that range from a few hundred to a few thousand and think I know a good player when I hold one. I'd be a liar if I said the AmStd felt any better than the JV. Each has it's own fine points. Now consider this, with the Amstd you get the bi-flex truss rod and rolled fingerboard edges. To me that is a big plus now is that plus worth the extra coin to someone else? Who knows. I don't buy guitars with the concern of resale. My guitars get used, scratched, etc - all the sign of a guitar that is/was well loved and played. Two of my favorites were bought used at local mom and pop places. The bottom line is buy what feels right and what you will play. There is no point in doing otherwise. Worrying about what others think or like and other nonsense along those lines is just nonsense.

Congrats on your Strat, Ted. To answer the question, no, the AmStd is not assembled in Mexico but I don't think that would make any difference anyway. What difference would a Mexican assembling your guitar in his home country as opposed to doing the same in the US make? Exactly. Americans work ethics have nose dived since the 70s. Mexicans work harder and longer and complain far less. US workers should take notes...

just strum
September 25th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Ted, congrats - need pics.

Reading this thread with the comments about quality and cost increases, all I can say is - thank you Plank.

I'm glad I didn't walk away from this.

American Deluxe mod.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture252.jpg

stingx
September 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Ted, congrats - need pics.

Reading this thread with the comments about quality and cost increases, all I can say is - thank you Plank.

I'm glad I didn't walk away from this.

American Deluxe mod.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture252.jpg

SCHWING!!!

Strat Vader
September 26th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Gorgeous! :AOK:

ted s
September 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
yup, thats beauti Strum, love that grain.