PDA

View Full Version : Homerecording of an old tune

aeolian
April 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
I mentioned under the amp thread that I just got an AD30VT and I'm still learning how to use it.

In the meantime here's a recording of Sleepwalk that I finished 2 weeks ago:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/slpwalk.mp3

The drums are done with a software program. Guitars and bass are recorded through a J-Station into a digital 8-track, and the mix was done was on a computer with n-track. Playing is just my mediocre self, so set your expectations accordingly.

ZoSo65
April 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Good job aoelian!
The tone sounds great!

Tim
April 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Great job there aoelian! That is my favorite all time song. It has been my #1 since I first heard it back in the 50s. I really enjoyed listening to the different guitar sounds you have in the song.

Can you give us a break down on how you arranged the song? I.E. Types of amps, amp settings, fade in and guitar(s) used.

aeolian
April 23rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Thank you ZoSo65 and Tim for the kind words.

I'm 57 years old and so I do remember hearing this song the first time when I was probably 11. It's one of those melodies that gets instantenously imprinted in my memory. It is also one of my all time favorite melodies; guess that's why I play it.

Like I mentioned initially, drums are programmed using a drum software program. I've had a J-Station for about 4 years and have learned how to get a number of decent sounds out of it. I don't particularly care whether it sounds authentic to any certain amp as long as it is a good sound.

Two guitars are used in the recording. The rhythm was played on the neck pickup on a Yamaha SG1500 (dual humbucker). I believe the amp model was the equivalent of a Boutique clean on the J-Station. I did not write it down but I think that was it. The rhythm was double tracked with one track panned to the right and one to the left.

The lead was my G&L Limited Edition (ASAT body with 3 single coils). I used position 4 (neck/middle) and recorded through the Vox AC amp model of the J-Station.

Bass is my el cheapo Fernandes 4s-string. The J-Station has bass amp sims too and I recorded the bass through that.

So, stereo drum tracks, 2 rhythm tracks, 1 lead track and 1 bass track, nothing fancy.

Spudman
April 23rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Way cool! Nicely done.

I had forgotten about that tune for some time when it popped up on, of all things, a Joe Satriani album, Strange Beautiful Music.
Tons of memories associated with that tune. Thanks.

Tim
April 24th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Aoelian – I too am 57 so we have much in common. I have played the rhythm of that song many times. I have not attempted to play the solo. You may have sparked that desire for me to learn the solo.

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you did five tracks in recording the song. You did not mention how many takes you had to do, but I would guess with five separate recordings you had several re-takes before completing the song.

This has made me want to try a project just for the heck of it. I will use my V-Amp2, my Tele with 2 hum buckers and my Strat with 3 single pickups and also Audacity for the recording program. All I have to do if find a good drum backing track off the internet.

I think I will do “Sleep Walk” also. This will be at least a 4 -5 week project for me since I never tried this type of thing before. I have done 2 recordings on top of backing tracks and posted them on this site. They were very novice in sound and technique.

Thanks for your effort in recording “Sleep Walk” and sharing it with us.

Justaguyin_nc
April 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Nice job aoelian, enjoyed it... I had a J-Station.. good solid machines.. Older machine but sounds as good if not better then any other out there.. gave it to son and have just the V-Amp2 left stored away in its case... amazing what all these little boxes are capable of... nice take on it

warren0728
April 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
just had a listen to your clip aoelian...sounded really nice....i look forward to creating a multiple track recording someday....i bet it is very rewarding.

ww

jpfeifer
April 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
aoelian,

Nice job on Sleepwalk. I really like the changes in this song. You used some nice guitar tones. Good job on the recording.

-- Jim

aeolian
April 24th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Thank you to all. You made a hack like myself feel like he can actually play a little.

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you did five tracks in recording the song. You did not mention how many takes you had to do, but I would guess with five separate recordings you had several re-takes before completing the song.

Tim, there are a total of 5 instrument tracks and plenty of re-takes to get all the parts reasonably correct. The whole thing is probably under 10 hours of recording and mixing. By the way, if you want the drum track I made for the tune I can send it to you. It is really basic with no variations throughout the song. While recording I thought about adding some variation to the drumming during the bridge but when I listened back I did not feel that it needed it. If I convert the drum track to mp3 it will be around 2.5 megabytes.

ray82609
April 25th, 2006, 09:44 AM
That was really nice!
-Ray

Robert
May 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I haven't taken a listen to this until now. Sweet! That is such a cool song. The late Danny Gatton used to play that song too.

Very nice playing, Aeolian.

aeolian
May 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I'm flattered.

Robert, I have not heard Danny Gatton's version of Sleepwalk, so I can't compare. I play a version of Harlem Nocturne, and I have heard Danny Gatton's version of Harlem Nocturne. On that song, I'm at the level of the Dead Sea, and he is at the top of the Himalayas. So there!

By the way, when I first registered I misspelled aeolian (as probably everybody else has noticed). Can you, Mister Admin, fix that so I won't embarrass myself every time I log in? Thanks.

aeolian

Robert
May 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM
There, spelling fixed.