PDA

View Full Version : what are you good at?

Childbride
May 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
everyone has a talent.

what is the thing that everyone will remember you for? your secret recipe, your music, your running ability?

what defines your true talent in life that no one has an edge on? :)

edit: [i understand that is horrid english]

markb
May 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
My other hobby (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974321@N00/sets/72157601322198510/show/). If you think musicians are bad about gear, you should meet Leica users ;)

just strum
May 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
My humor, I seem to find humor even in some of the most down times.

I look at it as - someday I (we) will look back on it and laugh, why not get a jump on it and start now.

aeolian
May 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'm a people person and I tend to put people at ease.

At work I'm detail-oriented and tend to think through all the facets of a problem. As a result I have several patents where I'm listed as co-inventor.

Tone2TheBone
May 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM
My other hobby (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974321@N00/sets/72157601322198510/show/). If you think musicians are bad about gear, you should meet Leica users ;)

Nice photography...I used to be really into B/W photography in high school and college. Your "take" on your side of the pond is really good.

I'm good at grilling the simplest of food items into creations of the gods...namely my famous grilled lobster tail and salmon dishes. :pancake:

just strum
May 10th, 2008, 05:10 AM
namely my famous grilled lobster tail and salmon dishes. :pancake:

Mmmmmmm, lobster.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/homer.jpg

street music
May 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
In my younger years I was known for my avility to train and show horses, dogs and was ranked as a top 10 breeder of rabbits for show purposes. I am a animal lover and up til just two years ago competed in 3-D archery tournaments.
I also make a very excellent breakfast of gravey, biscuit, and sausage casserole.

luvmyshiner
May 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Pissing off ex-wives????:AOK:

warren0728
May 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Pissing off ex-wives????:AOK:
:beer: :rotflmao: :beer:

way too many for me to list! :poke:

but making pancakes is on the list :pancake: :D

ww

Tone2TheBone
May 11th, 2008, 12:44 AM
In my younger years I was known for my avility to train and show horses, dogs and was ranked as a top 10 breeder of rabbits for show purposes. I am a animal lover and up til just two years ago competed in 3-D archery tournaments.
I also make a very excellent breakfast of gravey, biscuit, and sausage casserole.

LOL @ Shiner's post

I used to "try" to be a half way decent 3-D archer. That was dang fun. Haven't shot 3D in a couple of years but I need to start up again if I want to bring home an elk this year. Of course that depends on the elkies showing me a bit of grace. :)

PAPPY
May 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Giving Free Advice

Childbride
May 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
this turned out to be as interesting as i thought it would. thank you for all the replies. :) mark, excellent, excellent pictures. top notch.

my big one, i've blathered about enough. i like to write. it helps me express feelings i can't say in one sentence.

i have a goofy knack for remembering phone numbers... at work, we don't have caller id, but the ph number comes up on the lcd, and i can immediately tell who's calling. helps screen calls until i'm ready to respond. ;)

my other gift is that [normally] i'm really good at reading people. body language, eye movements, interpreting things behind what an individual is actually saying. helps me a lot with my chosen profession. when i deal with someone who's done a Really Bad Thing, i actually see snakes when i look in their eyes. [shudder]

mechanic
May 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I'm a pretty good rifle marksman.
I also love training our German Shepherds
in the art of "personal protection" work.
Eric

Bloozcat
May 12th, 2008, 08:19 AM
This is somewhat difficult because I have so many interests. Plus, it's hard to write about those things one is good at, without it sounding like bragging or "tooting one's own horn", so to speak.

In all honesty, I truly believe that talents are gifts from God for which we ourselves can claim no credit. What we do with these gifts however, is up to us.

If I was to ask my wife what I'm really good at, she'd probably start with the following:

- Cooking, as in creating my own recipes.

- Building, fixing, creating things. I just love to make things, and fix things. I've always been fascinated with how things work, from the mechanical to the scientific.

- Creative writing: This is something that I really enjoy doing, but have no real outlet for currently (I don't consider the mechanical writing that I do every day at work to be in this catagory). All throughout high school and college, teachers would comment on this ability. Again, it's a gift I've been blessed with.

- My memory. I'm blessed with a really good memory. My wife claims it's photographic, but I know better...it's not. It's another of those gifts, and one that really enhances all the others. My wife doesn't like watching Jeopardy with me...I don't know why...:confused:

I can identify with the ability to "read people", Childbride. In my work it's very helpfull as well, especially the ability to read when someone is lying, which I've become quite good at. I think it comes from a developed power of observation. Many people are oblivious to their surroundings. They don't listen and observe that which is right in front of them. They're so caught up in what they're thinking, that they don't take the time to support that thinking with critical observation. I think this is part natural ability, and to a larger extent, conscious development of that ability.

It's the gifts that I see in others that really impress me. Several years after my mother died, my late father married a woman who is a phenomenal portrait artist. I'm in constant awe that she can observe the same things that I do, and yet what she sees flows through her hand and onto a canvas in an incredible likeness of what she's observing. It's something I just can't understand, let alone duplicate, even though I've watched it happen right before my eyes.

I had a friend who plays keyboards. After hearing a song only once, he could play it back without any errors. I'd be smacking myself in the head with the neck of my guitar after watching this, knowing that I had to practice my part of that very same song for hours in order to do what he did in one sitting.

When I observe people like these, I don't consider what I'm good at to be anything even approaching extraordinary. I guess it's a matter of perspective. As my late father's wife once said to me (paraphrased); "Everyone sees the talents of others as so much greater than their own. I couldn't do half the things you do, if I spent the rest of my life trying." Yeah, maybe so. But she creates beautiful works of art that boggle the mind...

bigoldron
May 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Nothing in particular I'm really strong at (OK, being a b***hole doesn't count). I'm kind of a "jack of all trades - master of none." I can do a lot of things fairly good, but no really mastery of anything, kinda like my gueetar playin'! :whatever: