PDA

View Full Version : Other Interest

just strum
May 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I have five Toyota's - that includes the two I bought my kids recently and three that are mine and my wifes. Anyway I occasionally visit the ToyotaNation forum and I find the serious car buffs comical at times.

Here's a thread that has me baffled why someone would want to do it. I only came up with one good use and the Toronto folks will understand - to beat the 407.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88229&highlight=HIDEAWAY+LICENSE

Algonquin
May 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I imagine you'd be in hot water if you were caught using such a device. I've seen lots of write ups on how people have tried to avoid the toll charges on the 407.

I'll use the 407 occasionally, but mostly for work purposes which I can then expense. It's and expensive convenience that many are willing for pay for.

just strum
May 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I imagine you'd be in hot water if you were caught using such a device. I've seen lots of write ups on how people have tried to avoid the toll charges on the 407.

I'll use the 407 occasionally, but mostly for work purposes which I can then expense. It's and expensive convenience that many are willing for pay for.

I thought Ontario residents were exempt, apparently not.

I get to expense it too, but I think it was more the surprise of getting a bill in the mail to pay a toll. I'm all paid up, but I still received a statement yesterday of "my account". I have an account for a highway toll??? Does that automatically qualify me as a Canadian Citizen and does it come with free beer, eh?

Algonquin
May 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Regular users of the Highway purchase a transponder to make it a little less expensive. The transponder mounts on the inside of your windshield and allows the toll system to recognize your vehicle, doing away with the video toll charge you've seen on your bill.

I use it a lot in the middle of the night when I have to in the west end of Toronto for work (testing) purposes. If I've only had a couple hours sleep and have to be in by 3:00 am, it makes the trip a whole lot safer for me.
There aren't any lights once your pass Markham heading east towards Pickering.
More than once I've had to avoid raccoons in the middle of the road... all you see are those little eyes glowing at you in the near distance.

ted s
May 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, pricey even with a transponder. Strummy since you are somewhat familiar with the area, It costs about $120 for 3 return trips from Burlington to the 404 WITH a transponder in peak traffic time.

player
May 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, pricey even with a transponder. Strummy since you are somewhat familiar with the area, It costs about $120 for 3 return trips from Burlington to the 404 WITH a transponder in peak traffic time.

most in the states here are called passes instead of transponders(although that is what they are) in essence.just came back off a round trip drive from Chicago - no more if I can help it.not so much the driving as it was the prices getting to and back.have a buddy from Illinois who forgot his I -pass(woulda been nice if he didn't).from now on the evil will be flying(when a move is made South back to Fl.).the drive can and does exhaust you and the wallet especially these days.:reallymad:

just strum
May 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
This is different than IPass, the 407 has no toll booths - period. It is all done by camera.

http://www.407etr.com/About/about.htm

The first time on it I had no idea it was a toll road. I got lost and went back and forth on the thing not realizing I was adding to a bill that would later arrive at the house. It all works off of your license plate.

ZMAN
May 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
When my daughter played for The Canadian national soccer team she had to practice in Toronto 3 to 4 times a week. I got a transponder and made the trip, I would only use it if the traffic on the regular highway was backed up.
Back then it was reasonable. My first bill was all screwed up and I had someone elses charges. It took me months to get the amounts and interest taken off.
It is a private road by the way. And if you can believe it the Government of Ontario cannot stop them charging whatever they want. The Highway owners took them to court and won. Another beauty is that if there is an incrsease in traffic they can charge more!
I had the transponder and even if I didn't use the highway after my daughter went to College in the US, I got a bill for 2.14. They had a 2 dollar statement fee that they added on the top of every bill. What a croc.
Now if they even mention toll highways everyone is up in arms.
But I am a little appalled at the tolls in the US. I spend about 20 dollars in tolls one way to visit my daugter in Maine. The tolls in some places went up by 50%. Will it never end!