PDA

View Full Version : Phase of middle pickup.

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
What are fretters preferences for the middle pickup? In phase or out of phase with the neck & bridge. Spudman? The one on my SD is wired out of phase.

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM
My middle pup is reverse wound. In positions 2 and 4 on my Strat I get hum cancelling which is handy at times. I get plenty of good quack in those positions too so I'm happy. Middle by itself sounds pretty good on a few things.

Tim
April 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I agree with Tone. Hum cancelling being the highest preference.

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2006, 10:32 AM
My middle pup is reverse wound. In positions 2 and 4 on my Strat I get hum cancelling which is handy at times. I get plenty of good quack in those positions too so I'm happy. Middle by itself sounds pretty good on a few things.
So when do you use the middle pickup alone?

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I use the middle pickup when I get tired of the sounds from the other positions. hahahaha

I love the sound of the neck pickup alone. Sometimes I like position 4 (neck and middle) but only when it's clean. Neck sounds good clean or dirty. Middle does too...but when you play the quack positions dirty I think you lose a little definition in the higher notes. But when playing a shuffle rhythm or something in both neck/middle or middle/bridge it sounds cool. Just depends.

Tim
April 24th, 2006, 11:02 AM
You can use it anytime you wish. Just reach down and slide the selector switch 2 places down from the neck pick-up position. At times you can go down 2 more places and chose the bridge pick-up. That is an awesome sound for screaming solos.

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
How does one maximize the quack? I have been fiddling with the heights on my pickups and notice the quack is sometimes more pronounced and sometimes less so, but I've yet to figure out the underlying concept. I once ran acroos a discussion of this sort on the net, but I cannot seem to find it again.

BTW, I was in a guitar store today and played an EC Strat through a Badcat Cub II, Donald was in da house!

Spudman
April 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Tot
Some pickups have the ability to quack better than others. Maybe yours don't do it that well? I found on an older Peavey Predator Plus that I had I couldn't get the quack thing to happen.

tot_Ou_tard
April 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Tot
Some pickups have the ability to quack better than others. Maybe yours don't do it that well? I found on an older Peavey Predator Plus that I had I couldn't get the quack thing to happen.
I can get it to quack, but I'm sure that better pups would help. What woud be your suggestion? Fralins?

Tim
April 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I think if you raise the bridge and lower the middle pups you will get more quack. That is what I follow and have a good quack.

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2006, 08:34 AM
What Tim said. That is how my middle pickup is setup and I notice more quack that way. The middle pup is slightly lower than both the neck and bridge. Total quackage.

Tim
April 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Tone – Good to see we agree on this one. Something to do with the angle of the dangle which is directly proportional to the mass ….

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM
uhuh....then squared and times pi. ;)

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I know one strat guy here who has disconnected his middle pup and he gets very authentic tele sound from the middle position. I think it is two texas specials.

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I'd just get a Tele to do that. I love my middle.

tot_Ou_tard
April 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM
What Tim said. That is how my middle pickup is setup and I notice more quack that way. The middle pup is slightly lower than both the neck and bridge. Total quackage.
That's intriguing. I have the middle set highr than the neck or bridge so that
there isn't a volume drop change from neck to neck/middle to neck/bridge to bridge. I'll lower the middle and see what happens.

r_a_smith3530
April 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM
How does one maximize the quack?

Buy a duck, and have the duck play the guitar! :D

Sorry Tot, couldn't resist!!!

EDIT: In fact, if you get that AFLACK duck, you'll be guaranteed a lot of Quack!

Tim
April 27th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Quack! Quack!

warren0728
April 27th, 2006, 04:54 AM
you guys quack me up....even if the jokes are reduckulous!

:D :DR :D

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
".....aflac!"

Tim
April 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I think we are migrating off the topic. Let's stay in flight formation and avoid the sky patrol from dropping in on us.

tot_Ou_tard
April 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I think we are migrating off the topic. Let's stay in flight formation and avoid the sky patrol from dropping in on us.
Tim, you can always wash off the sky patrol droppings....

Back to the quack. I lowered the middle pup & now have substantially more cluck. Thanks all.

Hey Voodoo can you make us an emoticon of a duck jamming on a strat? If not, how about a duck releasing sky patrol droppings? A bass with a pignose? But whatever you do please do not make one of Warren making pancakes :eek: !