PDA

View Full Version : Fret crowning technique?

thearabianmage
May 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hey y'all, I'm new to this site. I have a very specific request: exactly how does one go about crowning the frets of a guitar? I've got the right tools, and frets have been sanded and are even (with a spe******t sanding beam) but when it comes to using the fret file, I have the tendency to tilt it toward focusing the pressure into the top end of the file (because the frets have a natural curve, I thought that would be more effective in properly trimming them down)

But in all honesty, I don't wanna mess up the job. Can anyone help? I've seen the photo tutorial provided by Dreadman, and excellent as it was, I'm still a bit unsure. Cheers

thearabianmage
May 11th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I've just noticed that the c-i-a-l-i-s-t from the word 'spe******t' has been censored. . .why is that? :confused:

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I've just noticed that the c-i-a-l-i-s-t from the word 'spe******t' has been censored. . .why is that? :confused:

I noticed that too, not sure what's up with that.

There are a few people here that might be able to help you. If not, I might be able to track down Dreadman and he can provide some additional detail. It may take a day or two.

In the meantime, you should stroll over to the fret player section and formally introduce yourself.

Oh, and welcome to the group, hope you plan on doing more than passing through.

Rabies
May 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Doesn't everyone get those emails trying to sell prescription drugs? :D

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Doesn't everyone get those emails trying to sell prescription drugs? :D

I didn't even catch that at first, even after your post. I kept looking at it originally and wonder why the hell it was censored.

It must be age, maybe I should order some.

Spudman
May 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Spe******t.

Hey it did it to me too. Guess I can't sell any of it here.:D

If you go to the Stewart McDonald web site they might have a video of the proper techniques for filing those frets.

thearabianmage
May 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks y'all. So is c-i-a-l-i-s some sort of prescription drug or something? I'm a noob.

Bloozcat
May 12th, 2008, 06:41 AM
There's a sticky at the top of this page about leveling and crowning frets.

Did you have specific questions that are not covered in that thread?

rkwrenn
May 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks y'all. So is c-i-a-l-i-s some sort of prescription drug or something? I'm a noob.

Yep,

Helps little soldiers stand at attention.

Cheers,

Bob

duhvoodooman
May 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Yep,

Helps little soldiers stand at attention.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

thearabianmage
May 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
There's a sticky at the top of this page about leveling and crowning frets.

Did you have specific questions that are not covered in that thread?

Yeah, dude, I saw that picture tutorial that Dreadman did, unless there is another page with which you refer? I'm basically just wondering what the actual motions are with crowning and using the fret file. Do you concentrate pressure onto the tip of the file so it can follow the natural curve of the fret or do you keep the file straight and shift it's angles like a violinist would shift his/her bow as s/he plays? I just wanna finish up my job correctly.

So c-i-a-l-i-s is some sort of 'stimulant'? What's wrong with the v-stuff? Or has that now been deemed unsafe because some active ingredient has been discovered to be carcinogenic and, due to a rush through health standards to get it onto the market, was not tested properly on monkeys? What's this world coming to, eh? No pun intended. . .

just strum
May 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
So c-i-a-l-i-s is some sort of 'stimulant'? What's wrong with the v-stuff? Or has that now been deemed unsafe because some active ingredient has been discovered to be carcinogenic and, due to a rush through health standards to get it onto the market, was not tested properly on monkeys? What's this world coming to, eh? No pun intended. . .

c-i-a-l-i-s is the hardcore stuff in case you need a place to hang your hat and coat.

thearabianmage
May 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
c-i-a-l-i-s is the hardcore stuff in case you need a place to hang your hat and coat.

Haha! I think that about sums it up! Why is it censored, though? Does one of the moderators have a little trouble and is trying especially hard to keep it under wraps. . . So to say.

Bloozcat
May 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, dude, I saw that picture tutorial that Dreadman did, unless there is another page with which you refer? I'm basically just wondering what the actual motions are with crowning and using the fret file. Do you concentrate pressure onto the tip of the file so it can follow the natural curve of the fret or do you keep the file straight and shift it's angles like a violinist would shift his/her bow as s/he plays? I just wanna finish up my job correctly.

Well, first, it's important to mark the tops of the frets with a marker pen. This will be your visual failsafe against taking too much metal off the frets. This is the same procedure as you would use in initially leveling the frets.

Apply slight pressure on the center of the bearing surface of the file. If you tilt the file forward or backward, it will affect the cut. It's best to apply as little pressure on the file as possible while still maintaining contact with the fret, and as long as the file is cutting into the metal. Let the file do the work, following the radius of the fret as you guide it. Don't force it. You can always take more metal off the fret should you need to, but you can't put any back should you take too much. As you go along, you'll develop a feel for file.

I hold the file with the handle in the palm of my hand, and my index finger positioned in the center of the top side of the actual file. My index finger in this position acts as guide for the file as well as to be the gauge for how much pressure I'm placing against the fret. Check your work frequently by looking at how much of the blackening is being removed from the fret as you go along. As you progress you should start to see a black center line forming on the crown of the fret. If you have a standard metal cut file, remember to only file in one direction, pushing away from you. If you have a diamond impregnated type file, you can move in both directions, however, I've found that moving the file in one direction prevents the metal filings that have been removed from being dragged back accross the fret in the back motion.

Pay particular attention to the portions of the fret that are closest to the neck edges. If you notice that these areas of the fret seem to be coming down faster than the center of the fret, adjust you filing motion to ensure that the fret is being taken down uniformly.

Ideally, when you're finished, there should be just a hint of a blackened line left at the center of the fret (or perhaps just a slightly "rough looking" metallic line). That will be the bearing point of the fret crown. At that point very fine sandpaper and polishing compound should be enough to smooth out the crown surface without removing appreciably more metal.

Take your time, be methodical and consistent in your approach, and you should achieve the result you desire.

Good luck...:AOK:

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Bloozcat, fair play, cheers! That was one hell of an explanation, and a good one at that. So it's okay for me to focus the pressure onto the very tip of the file, then, and not to use the file flat? That's cool. And you mention very fine sandpaper and a polishing compound? I've got 1000/800/400 grain wet-dry paper, and some sort of cream that goes on metal and fully shines it. Are they okay or would you recommend something different? Thanks dude!

Bloozcat
May 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Bloozcat, fair play, cheers! That was one hell of an explanation, and a good one at that. So it's okay for me to focus the pressure onto the very tip of the file, then, and not to use the file flat? That's cool. And you mention very fine sandpaper and a polishing compound? I've got 1000/800/400 grain wet-dry paper, and some sort of cream that goes on metal and fully shines it. Are they okay or would you recommend something different? Thanks dude!

Rather than assume that we're on the same page as to the file needed, let me just ask to be sure. Are you using a fret crown file like one of these two?
http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/0685/Three-in-one_Fret_File_Detail.jpg
http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/4454/Dual-grit_Diamond_Fret_File_Detail.jpg
If so, then you'll want to have as much of the files surface area as the fret radius will allow, to be in contact with the fret. In other words, lay the file as flat as possible on top of the fret, and then follow the radius of the fret as you file. Put as little pressure on the tip and the back of the file as possible. Try instead to keep the presure centered.

Here's a good illustration of the technique for using the file. Note how the cutting edge of the file is flat and centered atop the fret:
http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/2lg/4454/Dual-grit_Diamond_Fret_File_Detail2.jpg

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Excellent. Yep, I've got a file exactly like that one. So even though there is a natural curve in the fret, I keep the file flat and follow the angle of the fret as I go, generally going in one direction, with a slight amount of pressure focused to the center of the file? This is all after marking the fret with a marker as a guideline to the amount of metal being shaved off. The process sounds simple enough, so now the aftermath. Exactly what would you recommend to give the fret its shine? I've got some sort of metal polish but it's a cream, not a liquid, and the finest wet-dry paper I have is 1000grain. Is that enough? Cheers, dude

Bloozcat
May 14th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Excellent. Yep, I've got a file exactly like that one. So even though there is a natural curve in the fret, I keep the file flat and follow the angle of the fret as I go, generally going in one direction, with a slight amount of pressure focused to the center of the file? This is all after marking the fret with a marker as a guideline to the amount of metal being shaved off. The process sounds simple enough, so now the aftermath. Exactly what would you recommend to give the fret its shine? I've got some sort of metal polish but it's a cream, not a liquid, and the finest wet-dry paper I have is 1000grain. Is that enough? Cheers, dude

Generally, I use 600 gr. through 1000 gr. paper as needed. Then I use my Dremel tool and a Puma metal polish. Another product called Flitz works well also. There may be different products accross the pond by you that are similar and should work as well.

You've got the rest of the procedure down, so you're ready to go. Just remember to take your time and develop a feel for the work. It's not rocket science, but as in anything new, there's a learning curve.

Cheers