PDA

View Full Version : ad30vt volume controls

sense2k
May 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hello all

Still getting used to all the features and tweaks.
I'd like to know what recommended settings are for the "power" adjust knob in the back in relation to the Master control in relation to the Volume control.

It seems to me there's on too many "output" level controls on this amp.

What I want is to be able to play at low volumes and still be able to hear a tone (or it's basic 'feel') which is not completely different than what i would hear at loud volume. I don't know if I am making myself clear. I hope you all understand my question.

thx

Tim
May 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
The "power" control on the back really has nothing to do with volume. It controls the amount of wattage you have dialed in. The low setting is about 5 watts. Max out the control and you get about 30 watts output. Normally turning the "power" control full max will be to boomy for the amp and it will rattle. I keep mine a tad lower than full max. The other volume controls react like any other amp. The volume will increase the loudness while you back off of the master as you increase the gain. Its all in what you want your sound to be like.

markb
May 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
This page explains the workings of the various volume controls in the Valvetronix amps.

http://www.amptone.com/voxvalvetronix.htm

BluezOldy
May 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
And there's lots of info including sample presets at the Valvetronix forum:

http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/index.php

tjcurtin1
September 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The other volume controls react like any other amp. The volume will increase the loudness while you back off of the master as you increase the gain. Its all in what you want your sound to be like.

I'm still a bit puzzled by all the volume controls, but this helps. I read somewhere that the master volume affects the level of distortion (slightly), so how would it differ to keep the Master dimed and adjust the loudness by balancing the gain with the volume control? And how do any of you deal with the additional volume control that is created with amp models that do not have a gain control (the gain becomes a second volume)?

tot_Ou_tard
September 29th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'm still a bit puzzled by all the volume controls, but this helps. I read somewhere that the master volume affects the level of distortion (slightly), so how would it differ to keep the Master dimed and adjust the loudness by balancing the gain with the volume control? And how do any of you deal with the additional volume control that is created with amp models that do not have a gain control (the gain becomes a second volume)?
The master controls the level of the signal coming from the digital preamp and into the tube. This is the first part of the power amp. It thus affects the feel & controls some of the distortion.

The thingy on the back controls the solid power amp after the tube. It is completely clean & won't distort so it acts to adjust the overall loudness of the amp (ie the output watts).

The gain affects the preamp distortion & it is model dependent.

I am not certain where the volume fits in the chain, but I think it is to normalize the precieved loudness between patches. Since the thingy on the back is not included in a patch, but the volume is.

What is less clear to me is if you use it in manual mode (Which is what I do. One amph at a time is already too much for me.) whether the volume knob & the thingy on the back are interchangeable.

marnold
September 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I do know that the volume control sets the output through the line out. So if you are using that for recording purposes, you want it dimed. Found that one out the hard way. That would lead me to believe that it is pre-amp-specific since the line-out is in between the digital pre-amp and the tube "power"-amp.

rev156
October 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've had my AD50VT for almost a year now. I read the manual, read lots at Valvetronics. As such, I left the MV @ 3:00 to get the benefit of pushing the tube. I was happy with the tone but it didn't sound like a tube amp.
Recently, I was in the local store and I heard someone playing the display model. It sounded fantastic. He had the attenuator on the back near full, the volume near full and the MV @9:00.
Needless to say I experimented at home and am totally happy with the results. It now sounds sooo much better, and actually gets that tube tone.
I keep the volume near full, MV near 9:00 and the attenuator between 1:00 and full, depending on who's home or in bed!
Try it out.
Cheers