PDA

View Full Version : What other hobbies do you have?

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
We all like a bit of fret-n-finger play, who in their right mind doesn't? Jocks. . . But they're not in their right mind, so they don't count.

Who here has any other hobbies? I'm an artist as well as a guitarist, and I think the two compliment each other brilliantly. I also like to swing weapons around, I enjoy a bit of keyboard, and I like to partake in extra curricular activities involving rolling paper and ancient plants that have been used for over 5,000 years by people all around the planet.

Anyone else have a life outside of guitar (it's a dark world to imagine, but it does exist, trust)

Robert
May 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I am a marathon runner, web designer, Half-Life 2 devotee, movie buff, fly-fishing geek, gourmet chef wanna-bee and I like to show off my veins on guitar videos.

Tone2TheBone
May 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I hunt, fly fish, grill, drink beer. I'm also a movie buff and video game nerd.

luvmyshiner
May 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I drink beer, drink beer, drink beer . . . um . . . oh yeah, I drink beer too!:beer:

sunvalleylaw
May 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I coach kids in a freeride ski and snowboard program I head up, and give private instruction. Kind of a hobby job. I love to do about anything outdoors, including skiiing, mountain biking, general cycling, running/hiking, waterskiing, and so on. I used to homebrew, but don't seem to have the time since guitar. I sit down at the keyboard once in a while and try to remember piano I learned when I was a kid, but don't tend to put much effort or time in it, . . . yet. I like to read and watch movies too. I own a classic car, but don't treat it as a hobby much. I am the only lawyer I know who rides a skateboard around town on errands. As I am also a married father of 3 active kids, all the above takes a back seat to the family needs. :)

Bloozcat
May 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
My other expensive hobby is firearms. Shooting, building, repairing, hunting, and competetive shooting (kind of "retired" from that last one, though).

I used to fish a lot too, but can't seem to find enough time for it anymore, same with camping.

My wife and I both love to travel. We love fine dining, and really love great wine...

I have a home that I'm constantly working on. Is that a hobby or an affliction? :confused:

Tone2TheBone
May 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah I forgot...I sometimes am into archery...sometimes. I need to really be into it this year if we get drawn for elk.

Bloozcat
May 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Oh yeah I forgot...I sometimes am into archery...sometimes. I need to really be into it this year if we get drawn for elk.

You'd better get that bow out and practice, Tone...

What if the tribal elders find out about this...;)

I should talk. My High Country bow has been collecting dust the past two seasons. Maybe this year...crap, now I sound like you Tone...:D

Tone2TheBone
May 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I should talk. My High Country bow has been collecting dust the past two seasons. Maybe this year...crap, now I sound like you Tone...:D

Yeah see now my fly tying vice is sitting here collecting dust. Used to tie lots of flies for fishing but I'm too busy doing other things. I checked the Zebra string on my Mathews and it's still in good condition. I have a new broadhead target too that I've only shot half a dozen times so you're right I need to start practicing again man!

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
There are a lot of hunters here. Not that hunting is a bad thing, I just never thought it'd be so popular among guitarists, apart from the Ted Nugent kind. . . You know, growing up in Georgia, I should've done a lot of hunting, but I only did once or twice. . . Nothing ever happened. What's the best thing to hunt?

sunvalleylaw
May 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Heh, Heh, I live in prime hunting land, but don't hunt at all. I was raised in the 'burbs, and to me, meat came from Safeway stores, or if my mom went in on a side of beef with one of the other moms.

M29
May 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Oh man shooting, hunting, bowhunting ya got me goin now:rockon: Cars guns and rock and roll. Yeah I like cars of all kinds, mostly street rods and classic muscle cars.

M29

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I have to say, just cuz it's the sticks, don't mean everyone kills their dinner. But I did have friends that would stop the car if they saw fresh roadkill and their trunk was empty. Yep.

sunvalleylaw
May 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Yah, I hear you. I don't care to go out and shoot it. But I have gotten a taste for the nice, grassland fed elk around here if someone is offering, and a buddy of mine makes some real fine deer jerky. I am mostly a fish and poultry guy though.

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Don't nothin get better than the natural stuff. I tell you what, I'm not big on meat mostly because of the textures of it, but I never turned down deer/rabbit stew. Nope. There ain't no elk in Georgia, though, so I can't comment on that. I bet that's nice. Elk are basically less gormless cows, so I can't imagine the meat being much different.

Childbride
May 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
There are a lot of hunters here. Not that hunting is a bad thing, I just never thought it'd be so popular among guitarists, apart from the Ted Nugent kind. . . You know, growing up in Georgia, I should've done a lot of hunting, but I only did once or twice. . . Nothing ever happened. What's the best thing to hunt?

[giggle] now you have another 'waco' on you. the nuge lives here. ;) his wife writes for a local publication.

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM
That is amazing! Does she have a hairy chest and stuff?

Childbride
May 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
nope. very manicured, fit/toned blonde.

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
nope. very manicured, fit/toned blonde.

Fair play to the Nuge! Guitars. . .women. . .and taxidermy . . . Legend.

marnold
May 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I brew beer, fix/build my own computers, and talk smart.

TS808
May 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I work out regularly with free weights 2-3 times a week and manage a research-regulatory department at a large university. I also spend way too much time online :D

PAPPY
May 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I've hunted all my life, just about anykind of hunting there is in Texas. Mostly I have hunted with hounds...first were fox hounds that we ran just for the sport of hearing the hounds...then a combination of cougar,bobcat and raccoon hounds that I ran for fifty plus years until my health put an end to it two years ago. Now I run Beagles on cottontailed rabbits and enjoy them little rascals tremendously. I run them just for the sport of hearing the little hounds do their thing and not so much for the meat of the rabbit...I can't see well enough to shoot them anyway and there's no way a Beagle can run one down unless they run it in a hole or something and dig it out which is rare.

I have just about given up fishing...a sport I dearly loved to do in the past even though I am not crazy about eating fish.

I have been countless places and spent countless hours dancing to Country music and it's about the best thing I like to do although a bad back and bad artery going to the legs keeps a limit on how much dancing I get to do. There's nothing better than dancing a waltz with a good partner and my wife is as good and better than most to dance with.

just strum
May 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Not necessarily hobbies, but I enjoy working in the yard (riding the lawn tractor is actually an escape) and I like to do some maintenance things on cars.

I would have to say guitar is a hobby, bordering, if not already reached - a passion. I spend a lot of time messing with the guitars.

street music
May 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I still do quite a bit of Bowhunting for turkey and whitetail deer in the fall, I play golf , I score deer for Buckmasters and right now guitar is still very much a hobby with me. On occassion i whittle out nice walk canes and I still fish a few times during the year. We have elk very near me but it cost so much to hunt any of the private owned areas and you don't get to pick where you hunt.

peachhead
May 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Deer hunting is my favorite pastime- although I do enjoy a good bird shoot now and again. I used to turkey hunt but I'm about out of that now, since I really don't like the taste. Hunting, shooting, fishing...and I also am afflicted with a house that I work on a lot.

I used to think my guns were an expensive, addicting hobby...but then I found out about guitars. :messedup:

ZMAN
May 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM
My other hobby is restoring old cars. I just got finished putting a new set of aluminum wheels and tires on my 68. All ready for the summer cruises.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P5150063.jpg

street music
May 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Nice ride ZMAN, I wish gas was back to .86 a gallon and I had one of those.

ZMAN
May 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
The price of gas is not and issue with this car. If I am lucky I put 2 to 3 tanks of gas through it a season. I might get a little more driving out of her this year as I have pretty well completed all the things I wanted to do to upgrade it for modern driving.

SuperSwede
May 17th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Other hobbies???

Katastrophe
May 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I like to ride motorcycles when I get the time. I have a little Harley Sportster that's fun as all get out to ride on short trips.

I used to shoot quite often, but don't do so much these days.

I also love to hunt. Living in a rural area of Texas, it's almost required.

Most of the time outside of work is spent having a ball chasing after my daughter, which is what I'm doing today. Ms. K and Older Kid Kat are going to an exhibit on the human body in San Antonio today, so I'm watching the little one.

Plank_Spanker
May 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Amateur astronomy is my other big hobby.

birv2
May 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I teach computers, but I love to play with them as well, doing some web design, a bit of coding, seriously into Drupal now...

I'm also a huge sports fan, with baseball at the top (go Blue Jays!), followed by football, hockey, college hoops, and the nba. Most of the TV I watch is sports of some description.

But playing the guitar is #1 with a bullet...

Bob

KrisH
May 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Bees. I keep honeybees. It's my next biggest "hobby," and sometimes during the season, it take precedence. I like gardening and canning, too (usually, unless I'm overwhelmed), but that's really just an extension of our commercial operation.

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Never went hunting before, but that might be about to change.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/InvisibleBuck.jpg

robert43
May 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Yeah see now my fly tying vice is sitting here collecting dust. Used to tie lots of flies for fishing but I'm too busy doing other things. I checked the Zebra string on my Mathews and it's still in good condition. I have a new broadhead target too that I've only shot half a dozen times so you're right I need to start practicing again man!

Hi T2TB what mathews do you have me & my son do 3D archery I have a Black Switchback ( the orginall)
I never used the zebra string as I think they are crap

robert43
May 18th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Hi Bloozcat my 1st bow saw a High Country Machined Supreme ( name of bow not a pizza) got it s hand

ZMAN
May 18th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Just Strum is that "DEAR" hunting?

Kazz
May 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Zman that is one beautiful 68 Camaro....I am envious.

My hobbies lets see....some know this....most will not. 2 years ago I played in the APA (American Poolplayer's Association) National Team Championships in Las Vegas Nevada....(is it a prerequisite that everytime someone mentions Vegas, they have to do the whole Las Vegas, Nevada thing? Ha...I just love the ring of it lmao)

I have been playing competitive pool for 19 years this September as I turn 40....been playing in leagues pretty well constantly since I was 21.

I actually started playing pool when I was old enough to see over the table. The league I am in you are ranked based on your skill level with 2 being basically a beginner who can hold the stick somewhat properly and pocket a few balls intentionally, all the way up to 7 which is semi pro. I am a skill level 6. I have devoted lots of hours and money to this sport. Even after all these years I still love the game. I turned to pool after a career ending knee injury. I was an all state (Indiana) wrestler up through my Sophomore year when I got hurt running stairs carrying a 125lb wrestler on my shoulders.

Other than playing a pretty wicked game of pool, I also enjoy working on cars and refinishing furniture. The house we bought has a 1500 sq ft garage/shop that has its own full bath and heated floors so I can work in comfort all year round.

I used to enjoy shooting quite a bit too, but the ex-wife kept my Ruger P89

http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/p89t.jpg

I also enjoy gardening (flowers and veggies) and am a fairly experienced computer repair / builder. I also dabble in web design and some SQL programming.

I guess you could describe me as a jack of all trades, master of none.

street music
May 18th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Kazz, I have a P90 9mm that I enjoy shooting sometimes just for fun when Kodiak comes to visit. I have a Bowtech General that I'll be bow hunting with this coming fall.
I enjoy sitting in the woodsand watching a lot of creatures, I don't have to harvest them to enjoy the trip.

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Just Strum is that "DEAR" hunting?

Yep, the "DEAR" on the right is 28, single and lives on a ranch down outside of San Antonio. It's a hunting lodge/area that her dad runs, it's about 6,000 or 8,000 acres. (heh heh, I remember her age, marriage status, and where she lives, but I forgot everything else - imagine that)

Bloozcat
May 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yep, the "DEAR" on the right is 28, single and lives on a ranch down outside of San Antonio. It's a hunting lodge/area that her dad runs, it's about 6,000 or 8,000 acres. (heh heh, I remember her age, marriage status, and where she lives, but I forgot everything else - imagine that)

A hunter's ideal wife...

It's 4:00am, you roll over and say to her, "should we get up and go hunting, or......."

Oh, never mind....;)