PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Metal - Rock and roll is back

Spudman
May 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Scrap Metal is a recently formed super group with collectively 50 million records sold. What? That's right kiddies. 50 million.

Scrap Metal has lead singers from: Nelson, Slaughter, Journey, Night Ranger, and Mr. Big. Guests can include anyone from Aerosmith to ZZ Top.

This video tells the story.
UfMCDQe7brg

snoglobe
May 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Some may call it a supergroup, I see it as a sign of the impending apocalypse.

Gotta run now and paint my "The end is near" sandwich board.

bigoldron
May 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Oh puh-lease... :thwap:

Spudman
May 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
And you sold how many records?:poke:

snoglobe
May 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM

And that has what to do with it?

Do I need to have sold 5 million copies in order to have an opinion.

Have you moved 5 million copies?

It's not a matter of how many records we've sold, it's about my enjoying their music and buying their records. This is the musical equivalent of processed food. Some find it tasty, but somehow it just leaves you wanting. Instead of being a pre-fab boy band of nobodies thrown together and then promoted heavily, this is a pre-fab band of used-to-be's gathered together for a cash grab. We're not exactly talking the Travelling Wilbury's here.

With the exception of Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic which I purchased in high school, I have not bought any of the above bands' music... ever. I would be hard-pressed to name a Mr. Big tune, or Night Ranger song, a snappy little dittie from Nelson, et al. Just not my cup of hemlock I guess. But for all those still wishing the 80s never died, then rock on dudes, fluff up your hair, grab some of that Spuds McKenzie beer and parteeeeeeeeeeee.

sumitomo
May 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Man ya know what I can't really remember the 1980's that much.Sumi :D

Spudman
May 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sure everyone has a right to their opinion.

My opinion is that some of the best guitarists in the the last 20 years have been in those bands.

Bret Garsed, Brad Gillis, Jeff Watson, Mark Slaughter, Tim Kelly, Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan. All incredible guitarists. Admittedly most folks are only familiar with their hits which they may find cheesy but those albums have some amazing guitar playing on them and as a player that is what interests me.

The fact that someone would admit to not knowing any of the mentioned bands music and then subsequently berating the whole idea of Scrap Metal and the potential for new music seems more like having a bad day than an educated opinion.

snoglobe
May 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Sure everyone has a right to their opinion.

My opinion is that some of the best guitarists in the the last 20 years have been in those bands.

Bret Garsed, Brad Gillis, Jeff Watson, Mark Slaughter, Tim Kelly, Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan. All incredible guitarists. Admittedly most folks are only familiar with their hits which they may find cheesy but those albums have some amazing guitar playing on them and as a player that is what interests me.

The fact that someone would admit to not knowing any of the mentioned bands music and then subsequently berating the whole idea of Scrap Metal and the potential for new music seems more like having a bad day than an educated opinion.

Admittedly, I'm having a bad day. Too much work, too little fun. I apologize if I've snapped at you. I do know those bands and their music, but it just never appealed to me. It was the high cheeze factor of their hits that turned me off. My appreciation for a song and band tends to decline conversely to the amount of play it gets on the airwaves.

I've never bought an album just because the guitar playing was great, but the songs were trite. Nor have I bought an album because the lyrics were awesome but the musicality was lacking. For me, I want it all, the lyrics serve the music, the music serves the lyrics, and it all makes me sit up and want to take notice. If it's only half way, sorry, I don't give part marks. Which is why I tend to like individual songs rather than artists. Every band can turn out some amazing music. Few can turn out amazing albums. And even fewer can turn them out with any degree of consistency. I love iTunes. I get to choose the killer and dump the filler. I'v bought many an album, cassette and CD in my day where I've been disappointed by the total package.

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I see Scrap Metal simply rehashing licks and lyrics from the glory days. If they do create some good, new music (not just good guitar playing wrapped in drivel), well I certainly will stand corrected and apologize to anyone who cares.

I'm one day away from a long weekend and damn happy for that. Hope everyone has a good one.

Spudman
May 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Enjoy your weekend mate. :beer:

just strum
May 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Does that include used ones we sold to friends?:D

If so, I've sold 20 to 25 over the years.

snoglobe
May 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Enjoy your weekend mate. :beer:

Thank you, and you as well.