PDA

View Full Version : "New" SX neck on my SX strat!

Robert
May 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
When I went to Boston, I switched my original rosewood neck from my SST 62 with a SST 57 neck from Tremoloman. I finally got it on my guitar last night.

Oh, My Goodness! This neck is fantastic! :dude:

My cheap SX strat sounds like a million bucks! Really, it sounds better than my Fender. I do have fantastic pickups in it though - Fender CS '54 pups, and they are very sweet sounding.

I feel bad that Tremoloman didn't as good of a neck in the trade. My rosewood neck I could never bond with, and it didn't sound as good as this one either. Sure didn't look as sweet either!

Video and pictures coming to a guitar forum near you soon.... :rockon:

tremoloman
May 15th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Robert,

I'm happy to hear you love the neck I wrapped up in the smelly T-shirt. :)

I don't think I got short changed... it's a beautiful neck. I'll be installing it on my SX this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.

Rock on!

:rockon:

"You aren't with the IRS are you?"

Brian Krashpad
May 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a win-win!

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM
My worst fears are confirmed! The whole Boston Marathon thing was merely a nefarious ruse by the evil, huge-veined Swedo-Canuck to screw the poor American kid out of his priceless maple Strat neck! Words cannot express my shock & outrage!! Oh, the humanity!! :reallymad:

Oh, wait a minute--Trem likes the rosewood neck. OK....never mind. :o ;)

robert43
May 16th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Good to see you have great results

Katastrophe
May 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Glad you finally got the neck on the SX that was supposed to come with the guitar. I've heard that SX necks are beefy and have jumbo frets. Is that true?

If so, that's the kind of neck I want with my next guitar purchase. Too bad I don't have the cashola for a new one right now.

This one has me all filled with GAS right now: http://www.rondomusic.com/stl50p90vwh.html

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
This is the one I've been looking at:

http://www.rondomusic.com/sst62lpb.html

I'd really like to get a second Strat--one with a rosewood neck--and upgrade it with a good set of vintage-style pickups. I like the Lake Placid Blue, but I'm really hoping that Rondo brings back the Shell Pink color with the new '08 models that Bloozcat says are due in this month. I love the look of that guitar in Trem's avatar--just a classic vintage Strat vibe there! :AOK:

Robert
May 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
It is a bit beefy, and the frets are huge. This is the first beefy neck I've gotten friends with. 'Tis lovely, I tell you!

Click on the thumbnail for a bigger version of the pic. It is from last night's jam at Uncle B's. My friend Brandon is back to being "my" drummer! He is an excellent player, went to Musician's Institute in L.A. and to a jazz school in Vancouver. He is the former (original) drummer of the band Nickelback.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_7482d8d0e08926.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=492)

warren0728
May 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
there's robert showing off those huge veins again... :rotflmao:

ww

tremoloman
May 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
NICE pic Robert! That neck looks awesome on that guitar! I'm glad you are putting it to good use!

Did switching from Rosewood to Maple affect your tone? I'm curious...

Robert
May 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Scott, thanks SO MUCH for the neck! I love it. Yes, the tone changed - to the BETTER! At least I think so. It sounds fatter for some reason.

tremoloman
May 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I bet the fatter tone may be due to both the difference in wood and the nut I installed. Graph-Tech nuts tend to take a little brightness out which can be a good thing.

Guitar Gal
May 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
All we need now are videos with Robert and his awesome new maple neck SX !

:canada:

Robert
May 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
yah, I'm gonna try and do a demo where I switch between my blue Fender strat and this cheapo SX strat to see what you guys think of the difference in tones.

sunvalleylaw
May 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a cool vid! Looking forward to it.

warren0728
May 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
yah, I'm gonna try and do a demo where I switch between my blue Fender strat and this cheapo SX strat to see what you guys think of the difference in tones.
could you do a video of the guitar with the original neck (haven't seen all your videos so i don't know if you have any footage of you playing the original neck) and then with the new neck....that would be cool...

ww

M29
May 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Those would be a great videos, between the two guitars and also between the two necks.

M29

Robert
May 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
The old neck is in Tremoloman's hands right now, in Bahstahn! So there won't be any new videos with that neck. I have older videos with it on my site.