PDA

View Full Version : I get all "Hair Metal"!!!!!!

mark wein
May 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
My take...believe it or not this is my first attempt at guitar harmonies....:D

http://www.premierschoolofmusic.com/soundfiles/micwalt.mp3

This is from a thread at HC...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1981592

The original poster (Micwalt) had a pretty awesome take:

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/225/Hard%20Rawk%20Jam.mp3

:rockon:

Spudman
May 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Sounded great Mark. What was your recording rig?

Love the vocals too.:rolleyes:

mark wein
May 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Sounded great Mark. What was your recording rig?

Love the vocals too.:rolleyes:

:D

Thanks!

I'll try not to sing so much next time...

Just my PodXT into Cakewalk...I didn't spend too much time messing with the sound...

warren0728
May 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
sounded good mark....there certainly is some talent on this board.... :bravo:

ww

Guitar Gal
May 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Great sound Mark :AOK:

You rawk :rockon:

GG

pes_laul
May 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
were you harmonizing in 3rds, 5ths or what?

sunvalleylaw
May 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Nice! Good topic for a guitar lesson when you want to take a break from your awesome blues related ones you have been giving us! What guitar did you use?

Katastrophe
May 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Nice! I dig the harmonies. Who knew that you had a secret stash of Aqua Net?:D

SuperSwede
May 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Heh.. awesome track Mark!

Kazz
May 16th, 2008, 03:59 AM
awesome Mark....

rkwrenn
May 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Nice! Good topic for a guitar lesson when you want to take a break from your awesome blues related ones you have been giving us! What guitar did you use?

Yep, +1. That was fun, sounded great!

What settings (presets) for lead and rhythm tones, etc.

Cheers,

Bob

marnold
May 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I'm Rev. Rawk and I approve of this MP3.

mark wein
May 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys! I didn't know my regression to age 16 was going to go over so well!

:rotflmao:

My setup for this was my Suhr Classic into a PodXT on a Satriani sound that I downloaded a couple of years ago from line 6. The recording software is Cakewalks Music Performer 2004 or something like that...its all I have at the moment and it really isn't very good but it gets the job done...

The harmonies are (for the most part) diatonic 3rds. Once I decided to do the harmony bit I figured that was the interval to get the sound I was going for. If I had been serious about doing the harmony parts clean I probably would have written them out and come up with an actual part but I was in a hurry so I came up with the melody and then just tried playing it up a 3rd in the key of a minor. There are some parts where playing an F# (making it more of a Dorian scale) in the harmony guitar made more sense to my ear than keeping it 100% in A Natural Minor. There are a few places where I forgot what part I was doing and didn't have time to fix it so the harmonies are kind of a mess in places.....

Over the solo the chord changes lasted long enough that I needed to treat each one like a seperate key center so over the F# I played F# minor, over the A I played A minor and so on...its pretty hard to actually make any kind of musical sense when you are playing that many notes...at least for me it is. If you guys have ever seen any of my live videos you'll know that I don't play this way very often....:D