PDA

View Full Version : Favorite coffee place?

Robert
May 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM
What's your favorite place to get a decent cup of Java?

For us people in Canada, Tim Hortons is very popular. It's everywhere you go, and it seems like most people here go there for breakfast and lunch... they have good coffee. Is there anything any more Canadian than Tim Hortons? Maybe hockey and curling... but...

Anyway, my favorite coffee place would probably be Starbucks. I like their strong stuff. Tasty and fresh.

Second Cup ain't too bad either.

What a branding and marketing juggernaut Starbucks are though. They sure know how to run a business (and so does Tim Hortons!).

Rockette
May 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
My kitchen. Priced right too.

Since moving far, far away from PacNW I've learned to appreciate why people considered us "coffee snobs." I now realize that only a snob or lunatic would dole out more for a 16oz cup of coffee than an inflated gallon of gas, American or Imperial!

Robert
May 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I am a coffee lover, and I have learned to brew the good stuff at home. I buy coffee at a shop maybe only twice a month. Starbucks is bloody expensive.

Tone2TheBone
May 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I like the smell when I walk into a Border's bookstore. They have a local chain of coffee bars inside the bookstore and man their coffee smells so good.

sunvalleylaw
May 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Probably this place: http://www.mtexpress.com/2001/01-11-14/01-11-14java.htm

Java on Fourth in Ketchum, ID. The owner has a cool thing going, and is also in a band and has recorded a little. Once in a while, there is almost a little too much hip attitude, but on a sunny summer morning, this place rocks with a cup in hand, looking up at Bald mountain from the deck. He has some amazing coffee creations too, with mexican chocolates and etc. applied. The Bowl of Soul is a favorite, served in a big huge hippy type mug, but you need to go run half a marathon after to work it off. :beer: (imagine coffee froth on the mugs this time)

Algonquin
May 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I love my morning coffee routine. I grind my own beans and have fresh each day! I also like Timmies, but Country Style makes a decent cup too.

Can't get exactly what I want when I canoe... but a little Baileys goes a long way to smooth things out. :AOK:

luvmyshiner
May 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
There's a little coffee house here in Waco called "Common Grounds", owned by a local woman named Jill. My son and I used to meet there every morning when he was in college. Jill used to make the best coffee in the great State of Texas.

But the last time my son was in town we stopped by and were very disappointed.

Bloozcat
May 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Interestingly, none of my favorite coffee places are local. About the only real coffee houses here are Starbucks, which are overated IMHO (but I still drink their French Roast at home).

Some of my favorites from our travels:

Tully's
Java Bean
Flying Goat
Blenz

ZMAN
May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Timmies is infiltrating the U.S. My son-in-law will only go to Dunkin Donuts in the Us but in the last year there have been two Tim Hortons open in his howme town with a population of 25,000 in Maine. Look out Dunkin!

Rabies
May 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
My lifestyle and location prohibit me from enjoying premium coffee from a specialized shop. But I do loves me some Folgers. :D :D :D :thwap:

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Timmies is infiltrating the U.S. My son-in-law will only go to Dunkin Donuts in the Us but in the last year there have been two Tim Hortons open in his howme town with a population of 25,000 in Maine. Look out Dunkin!

I saw the Hortons when I've been up there, but never knew exactly what they were.

Ro3b
May 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm still mourning the closing of Murky Coffee, which used to be in the Eastern Market neighborhood of DC. Great coffee, and an awesome shop besides. Great to hang out in with a friend or three, or a good book. They had major problems with unpaid taxes and shut down a couple of months ago.

markb
May 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
In the interests of loyalty I'd have to say Deli Aro in Aro St, Wellington, which is owned and run by a friend of ours. It is very good despite that but I don't get there very often. Raumati Beach being a seaside town has four cafes, I prefer Pips. Then there's Lembas cafe a couple of kilometres down the coast which doubles as a music venue. We're spoilt for choice really. New Zealanders (especially Wellingtonians) take coffee very seriously.