PDA

View Full Version : octane vs. mileage

ted s
May 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I read somewhere that depending on the vehicle, you may obtain a decent mileage improvement by burning premium even if the minimum requirement may be 87.
Thoughts ? I would thing there would need to be an unreal improvement to offset the increased cost.

?

bigoldron
May 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
From what I've read, heard and tried, today's engines are manufactured to burn the lower grade octane gas. Putting premium in one of these engines is a waste of money, because any actual improvement in fuel economy is VERY slight and doesn't justify the difference in cost of premium vs. regular. Now, if your vehicle calls for premium, then by all means run it.

just strum
May 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM
It's been a long time since I tried using a higher grade and then mileage difference wasn't impressive and it didn't offset the cost.

You want to save on gas, avoid abrupt stops, quick take offs, try to keep a consistent speed and if you follow the same guidelines on a bike, you will save even more:D

bigoldron
May 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM
You want to save on gas, avoid abrupt stops, quick take offs, try to keep a consistent speed and if you follow the same guidelines on a bike, you will save even more:D

Strum makes some good points, although the bike is not always feasible, it still is a great gas saver! Other useful ideas: drive the speed limit, keep your tires properly inflated, and your air filters clean or changed when they need it.

ted s
May 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
One other thing that I think improved my gas mileage, the last time I changed oil (about 3 weeks ago) I switched to a high mileage synthetic oil. Although I haven't checked my mileage, the needle takes longer to hit E. Seeing that a fill up has gotten so expensive, I haven't "filled-up" in a few weeks. Plus less gas in the tank = less weight.

Algonquin
May 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Plus less gas in the tank = less weight.
This is a good point, as well as keeping all extra weight (this isn't a Mother Inlaw joke :D ) out of the car.

I do think it's a good idea to keep a full tank in the winter though.

marnold
May 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
IIRC, higher octane gas will not burn as cleanly in a car not designed for it.

warren0728
May 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
this is an interesting subject....my new magnum is recommended to run 89 octane instead of 87.....i put my first full tank of gas in it and used the 89....gonna check the gas mileage and then next tank try the 87 and see if there is any difference in performance or gas mileage.

+1 on synthetic oil....the magnum has it in it now and i intend on always using it....i've been using synthetic oil in my 54 ford for years and a couple of years ago i had to replace a head gasket and when we pulled the engine apart it was practically spotless inside....no gunk or build up at all!

ww

Sprinter
May 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Here's some interesting information on the subject. http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

Sprinter

Tone2TheBone
May 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
this is an interesting subject....my new magnum is recommended to run 89 octane instead of 87.....i put my first full tank of gas in it and used the 89....gonna check the gas mileage and then next tank try the 87 and see if there is any difference in performance or gas mileage.

+1 on synthetic oil....the magnum has it in it now and i intend on always using it....i've been using synthetic oil in my 54 ford for years and a couple of years ago i had to replace a head gasket and when we pulled the engine apart it was practically spotless inside....no gunk or build up at all!

ww

What new Magnum Cornelius?

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM
What new Magnum Cornelius?

Cornelius?

Tone2TheBone
May 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Cornelius?

Yeah you know...Cornelius...this guy...

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah you know...Cornelius...this guy...

Ah, I thought maybe his first name was finally revealed, you know like Kramer's - Cosmo Kramer.

Tone2TheBone
May 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Ah, I thought maybe his first name was finally revealed, you know like Kramer's - Cosmo Kramer.

You mean Warren? Everyone knows Warren and his pancakes. :pancake: :) But yeah my bad for giving up his first name. Sorry Cornelius!