PDA

View Full Version : I need everybody's help, please!

thearabianmage
May 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hey y'all,

In less than 6 months I'm starting a course at a place in London called the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance, where I'll start off on a Higher Diploma and move onto the guitar-based Bachelor's in Music. Why I need your help is because the Higher Diploma course is really expensive (no, I'm not asking for money) and they are doing a competition, and the prize: a merit-based scholarship for the course, which is worth £4,950 (about $10k)

Basically, I have to send off a video that is no longer than 3 minutes that displays my abilities on the instrument. What I've done is written a couple songs and I've recorded myself playing them multiple times so I can choose the best to send in, and I would appreciate the help, feedback, comments, and constructive criticisms that anyone, regardless of ability, has to offer.

This song here is the first of the two. It's all metal and speed and solos and stuff. I'm not entirely happy with any of them, but for the time being, here they are. The next song, which should be up soon, is a jazz piece that's all moving basslines, chords, and fingerpicking and stuff.

Make sure you listen to them through a good sound system. They aren't ghetto audio-wise. Only visually. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feoe5iG_QUs Video 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5Xy0s5UJc Video 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkXfiVRsIZQ Video 3

Thanks everybody

thearabianmage
May 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Can anyone help?

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Not my style of music, maybe that's a good thing so I won't get lost in the song. I can't give you technical feedback, but of the three, two seemed to catch my ear and was more appealing to me.

Sorry I don't have the playing or technical savvy to provide you with more detailed feedback.

thearabianmage
May 17th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Not my style of music, maybe that's a good thing so I won't get lost in the song. I can't give you technical feedback, but of the three, two seemed to catch my ear and was more appealing to me.

Sorry I don't have the playing or technical savvy to provide you with more detailed feedback.

Hey it's all good, cheers.

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
WAKE UPhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/sleep.gif:poke: - IT'S SATURDAY MORNING!!!

Let's give this fellow fretter some feedback. There are enough of you out there with the technical expertise to provide some constructive advise.:poke:

helliott
May 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Metal's not my thing either, but that said my preference of these three is the third one. I found there is more diversity in speed and dynamics in the third than the others. Obviously, the speed and technique are there in all three, but there are times in the first two when the leads are so fast they almost make for too much of a wall of sound effect.
So, for what it's worth, I like the third.
Not sure if you asked for this next bit, but I offer it anyway. If you have time to do another take, I might suggest that. I find the lead is a little too dominant in the mix, at least through my not bad sound system. I might lower the level and EQ it a bit to bring it out of the overall mix. Maybe it's just me. But another take with a bit more variety in speed and volume, and a slightly altered mix to bring out the backing track a bit more, would overall do more justice to your playing.

marnold
May 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Since I am the resident old-school metal guy here and I take my title as "Rev. Rawk" seriously, I will offer my comments.

Here's a few general comments on all three videos:
1) I really like the chord progression/main riff. It brought a smile to my face. It has a real militaristic/foreboding feel to it.
2) You need to work on the lighting for the video. It needs to be in front of you, not behind you. From watching the videos, I could not swear on a stack of Bibles that it was actually you playing. Or that you have a face. If this is going to be for a scholarship, they are going to want to see you play.
3) In the solo sections I like how you break up the shredding with some pauses to let things breathe a bit. You've learned an important lesson: the key to speed is knowing when to slow down.

In the first video the mix is pretty muddy. The solo gets lost in several places.

The second and third videos are much better from an audio standpoint. I probably prefer the third. At about 1:40 of that one, the gets a bit muddy/indistinct for some reason. I'm not sure how much delay/whatever your using but maybe backing off it just a bit would add some clarity.

Katastrophe
May 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I'm an old school metalhead, too. When my daughter goes down for a nap later today, I'll listen to all three and get you some feedback.

Since Nelskie is still around posting, I'd be interested in reading his comments on this, too!

warren0728
May 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
as i understand it this video is going to help decide if you get a scholarship or not. if that is the case there will probably be lots of competition. As for the music itself you certainly have shown you can play and although metal isn't my first choice of music i liked three the best.

BUT (and i rarely use capital letters) the video quality is really bad. Please don't take offense but if a scholarship is on the line i would suggest a few things....keep in mind i am a professional photographer and run an ad agency.

1. have someone help you with this project...in other words have someone else run the camera....it looks pretty amateurish to see you lean over to get the camera and backing track started.

2. the only lighting in this video is the one above and behind your head so most of the time we are seeing you in shadow or with a huge glare from the light (called lens flare). you need these people to not only hear your music but see how you are using your hands. i would suggest setting up in front of a neutral background (i'll elaborate on that in point 3) and get some light on you and your guitar. one alternative would be to play facing an open window with the camera between you and the window (if you can't get adequate light on you with artificial light).

3. ok....now about the background....again not trying to offend here....just looking at the big picture of convincing strangers to give you money to come to their school....get rid of the rebel flag in the video....it is possible that someone on the reviewing panel that will decide whether you get the money or not might be offended by the flag....i'm not saying there is anything wrong with that flag....hey i'm a southerner and see them around here all the time but it does create a lot of emotion....some good and some bad. that's why i suggest a neutral background....

so to sum it up.....i think you have the playing ability...but in my opinion your video is hurting your chances because of the points made above.

have someone help with the recording so you are set and in place when it's time to play.....get some light on you and your hands so they can not only hear but see your technique....and use a neutral background so the focus is on you and your playing....not your surroundings!

if you are still reading...keep in mind that probably everyone who submits a video for this scholarship will be accomplished musicians....so it might come down to the quality and production of the video.

good luck and i hope you win!

ww

Spudman
May 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
3 sounds the best but they all suffer from poor lighting. You might as well just send in a CD. The video is basically useless. If I was evaluating I would not be able to tell if you were really playing or not. You could be trying to pass off someone else's playing and I wouldn't be able to tell. You need better lighting - from the front.

thearabianmage
May 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the help, it's all very good advice and I appreciate it very much! I am very aware of the poor quality video and lighting, but they've said that the video is not being judged: the best of the applicants are asked to come in and perform in front of judges and the best performance wins. That said, I have 2 other pieces to record and I'll do another version of this and I'll keep in mind what everyone has said. If there's anything anyone wants to add or forgot to mention, please don't hesitate. Thanks again!

Katastrophe
May 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Okay, my two cents, which is exactly what my opinion is worth.

Loved the playing, and I thought the tune itself was good. I thought the lead tone was outstanding, and your phrasing is killer.:rockon: Video #3 was the best performance out of the bunch IMO.

Now, if I was evaluating the video, one of the questions I would have is, "Did the person put the time and effort into making this presentation a good one, or was it a rush job?"

Regardless of whether the judges are evaluating the quality of the video or not, the whole purpose of sending in a video is so they can see you playing. It's impossible to see you in the vids. It gives the judges the idea that the whole thing was slapped together at the last minute, even though you may have put a ton of effort into composition and practice to get your playing to its current level. It may not take any points away from the performance, but it won't give you any either.

Also, keep in mind that the judges may be listening to your performance on crappy little computer speakers. I would recommend dialing back the gain on the rhythm track just a hair. It would give the track a little more definition, and it won't clash with your lead tone. It would also make the track sound "bigger" as well.

Keep at it man, you definitely have serious talent. Now it's time to make it easy for the judges to recognize it, and set yourself apart from the crowd!:dude: :rockon: :master:

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Reading Kazz's reply made me think of something - even though the visual portion isn't being judged, you should show that it is really you playing. Not a big thing, but although it's not being judged, you should still clean it up to be a more "presentable" package.

warren0728
May 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Reading Kazz's reply made me think of something - even though the visual portion isn't being judged, you should show that it is really you playing. Not a big thing, but although it's not being judged, you should still clean it up to be a more "presentable" package.
i totally agree....that's why i wrote that novel earlier in this post....even though the rules say that the video itself won't be judged doesn't mean your competitors won't take it seriously enough to produce a quality video....it won't take a lot more effort (re-read my post) and your end product might be just what you need to "stick out" from the others....

good luck....

ww

just strum
May 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
i totally agree....that's why i wrote that novel earlier in this post....

good luck....

ww

Sorry, I saw all those words and I skipped it - my bad.:thwap:

duhvoodooman
May 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
As others have said--playing good, video bad. While the point may not be to produce a professional quality video, it should enhance the performance, not detract from it. You should at least be able to see your playing fairly clearly, and a recognizable face shot would be a plus. Judges are going to want to see that a decent amount of effort went into it. If not, it reflects poorly on the motivation level of the applicant. Crank up the camera and give it another go....

thearabianmage
May 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hey everyone, I'm very happy with the amount of feedback I've gotten, everyone's been really sound and it's refreshing to see, let alone to be the one it is directed to. I just saw Joe Satriani last night with Paul Gilbert supporting, so as everyone can imagine, it was bloody ace! Or 'wikid' as they say here. But once I get back home (3 mile walk back to Draycott), I'm gonna get straight to it! It's a nice day here, too, so the lighting should be a tad bit better, and I'm feeling particularly inspired today.

I don't want to be presumptuous, but when I get the 3 songs done (one 'funk', one 'jazz', and the Black Mage) would it be okay for everyone to watch them and give me the same kind of feedback? I can only send one video and I want to choose the right one, and I know that not all the time is the person who wrote the song the best judge on it.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help! Thanks a lot! :AOK: :beer: :beavisnbutthead:

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I don't want to be presumptuous, but when I get the 3 songs done (one 'funk', one 'jazz', and the Black Mage) would it be okay for everyone to watch them and give me the same kind of feedback?

At this point, I think we would be pissed if you didn't. Even though I can't offer what some of the others are able to offer, I can at least tell you what I like and don't like.

warren0728
May 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
you definitely better....i have a thought (scary) but what if you composed one song that incorporated all three styles....that way you could show your versatility and stay within the "only one video" rule.... :whatever:

ww

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
you definitely better....i have a thought (scary) but what if you composed one song that incorporated all three styles....that way you could show your versatility and stay within the "only one video" rule.... :whatever:

ww

:rotflmao: I was just at the point of your reply where you say "...i have a thought..." and a loud clap of thunder rocked our house. :rotflmao:

warren0728
May 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM
:rotflmao: I was just at the point of your reply where you say "...i have a thought..." and a loud clap of thunder rocked our house. :rotflmao:
guess it surprised everybody...and i mean everybody!! :beer:

ww

marnold
May 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Please do post them. I'd be interested.