PDA

View Full Version : I need some money......

Mr Grumpy
May 17th, 2008, 05:22 AM
AT a guitar show last week I encountered another UK based custom builder making fantastic custom guitars at mid range prices (typically £700-£1500 UK), they were all beautifully made and played incredibly well even with my lack of skill. Good players were raving over them, Ive never heard of them before but I think they deserve a look.

http://www.atlas-customguitars.com/

I should start saving, I have 7 years til Im 50...........

bigoldron
May 17th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I can definitely understand your GAS symptoms! They are sweet! Good luck, Grump! Hopefully you can scrape a few coins together to score one of these beauties!

ZMAN
May 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I would do a little more research on where the guitars are actually made. There are a lot of guitars similar to those that are made off shore and the electronics etc are assembled in the county. They also have the pickups made off shore as well. I have seen a lot of these being passed off as custom because you can pick the type of hardware and pickup style.
If they are hand made in England from scratch, the price should be much higher.

Mr Grumpy
May 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM
They are hand made, in wales to be exact, had a long chat with the guy who runs the place. I think the average price is around £1000, they do their own pickups too. My GS was handmade (and Gordon Smith make their own pickups too) for £450, their prices average about £700. Some good little builders over here in the UK, all very small scale with small overheads

ZMAN
May 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Well that is great. We have several over here that do the import/assemble to your specs from our hardware type of thing at a reasonable price. They are more for the Epiphone/Squier buyer who wants to do the upgrades before they purchase the guitar. For a slightly increased price you get upgrades. Some will even put Seymour Duncan or any other aftermarket pickup if so desired. I guess the big thing for these small builders is they don't have the huge overhead for advertising etc.
I don't know what the prices for the major makes is like over there but a quick calculation put it at about 2000 dollars Canadian which will put you in a pretty high end Gibby or Fender. I am only saying that because if you ever want to resell the Gibby or Fender might hold their value better.

Mr Grumpy
May 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Wait-I stand corrected. They ARE mainly sourced in the far east (Thailand I believe) - I must have got the wrong impression when at the show. In my defence I had been to the bar a few times..........

Still want one though.