PDA

View Full Version : Who/What inspired you?

Myles
October 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
The reasons for taking up the guitar are vast and uncountable, but everyone has that person or event that caused them to become truly inspired.

So I invite you to share with us what happened or which person inspired you to become the guitar player you are today.

Bigbear
October 20th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Erics first blues album "From the Cradle" I loved it... the clean tones... the high pitch and the bell tone strat... fell in love with blues and started guitar a year after...

Robert
October 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Jimi Hendrix - 'nuff said.

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I'm a rock n roller at heart. As a baby I'd go around singing Beatles songs. I was highly influenced by the popular culture of the 60s early. When I got my first guitar it was rock n roll all the way. Whoever was popular at the time...I learned the songs. Only way to impress the babes. When I gained more experience I learned songs for myself instead of for people...thats when blues and other forms of music came in. I can't pinpoint any one person as an influence though...

EscalonJon
October 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Roger (Jim) McGuinn and his 12 string Ric.

MagicBaller21
October 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
definately jimi hendrix. i only played occasionaly until i heard him

marnold
October 20th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Oddly enough, it was my uncle playing some 60s/70s stuff a la Peter, Paul, and Mary on an acoustic that first made me want to play. Once I heard Def Leppard's "Pyromania" and Dokken's "Tooth and Nail" when I was a sophomore in high school, suddenly the acoustic lost some of its allure for me :)

Nelskie
October 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM
It was the smoke-spewing Les Paul of KISS' Ace Frehley that first enticed my interest the guitar. Then the guitar juggernaut of Led Zeppelin's first album that drove me to purchase one, and start playing. And finally, it was ZZ Top's Billy F. Gibbons who showed me how to "make it happen" with three chords and sublime tone. Mix that all up, and you've got yourself one funky bowl of guitar gumbo.

Tone2TheBone
October 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
I am a HUGE ZZ Top (Gibbons) fan! Welcome and rock on... :)

savagefire
October 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Robert Renman was my ultimate inspiration.

Myles
October 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Robert Renman was my ultimate inspiration.
I believe the saying goes "there is a suck up born every minute" or something like that :D

Robert
November 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Haha, every minute or every other minute, who cares - it's often enough for me!

tremoloman
November 3rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
I'd say a combination of Angus Young, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Muddy Waters, Nuno Bettencourt, and Dave Mustaine. :)

The G-string
November 8th, 2005, 11:35 AM
My dad was a professional musician - - as were other family members. It's just "always been there."

Guitar-Chris
November 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I didn't have the one and only inspiration.

One of my first was an LP of the Shadows, and i think because of this first LP i like Stratocasters since then.

Then of course Jimi Hendrix showed a totally different way of "treating" a guitar.

Followed by David Gilmour who made every song with his solo a little diamond.

But I also had and have inspirations until today.

One of my last was a CD of John Mayall and the bluesbreakes followed by the newer CDs of Julian Sas. The last one was the reason for waking up my blues interest again.

Christian
November 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I pick up the guitar because of Wayne Cambell (wayne's world movie)
the way he staring at his Fender Stratocaster in the window store......made me want one(I bought one copy instead of the REAL thing) and I made a deal with myself......I stop smoking cigarettes and Start playing guitar.....which what I did ......and I never smoked again!!!!
I still have the guitar fever even after nearly 13 years

but my main influence on the Guitars are Ace Frehley, Tony Iommi, Mick Mars, Billy Corgan and Rick Derringer.

being a drummer as well since 1986, I found hapinest with guitars !!!

they're so COOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll

I listen to a lot of different kind of bands
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rick Derringer, Alice Cooper, KISS, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Guns 'n' Roses, SoundGarden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, The Tea party, The Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Donnas, The Darkness, etc...etc...

anything with guitars makes me happy !!!

Guitar-Chris
November 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I pick up the guitar because of Wayne Cambell (wayne's world movie)

[...]
I still have the guitar fever even after nearly 13 years

Wow, this movie is that long time ago?:cool:

Yesssssss, I like the scene, when Hendrix' Foxy Lady is beeing played!!

And of course: Bohemian Rhapsody....

I listen to music from classic (I learned violin an d played in an orchestra for 15 years) over blues, rock, pop, punkt hard-rock (not really metal) and jazz. And i like all of these styles, too.

Katastrophe
November 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Well, I've got a wierd mix of influences... My first real influence was a guy by the name of David Latimer, who has done a one man show for a while around the Austin area... He was a friend of my Dad's, and invited me over for a quick lesson... We started with "Your Cheating Heart," played using the Roy Clark Guitar method... Two hours later, my Dad had to drag me away from the place, and David let me borrow one of his acoustics. I've been hooked ever since!

Since then, I've gone through listening (and being influenced by) everything from country to speed metal... There's not a day that goes by that I don't hear something and say, "That's cool, I GOTTA try that!"

Tim
November 18th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Ok here comes my age talking. My first inspiration was the “Ventures”. They had the total sound of the day. I actually started to take guitar lessons at 13 years of age because of them. But then I quit. First reason was sports and girls came along, and also a job making real money in a bowling alley. The second reason was the instructor was milking my dad for the money. I took lessen for 6 months and never was taught a song. He claimed the theory had to be known first. I even had a junior acoustic guitar. I’ve been kickin’ myself ever since then for quitting.

About 2 years ago I got interested in learning how to play praise and worship music. Bought the equipment, but as I said earlier, never really found someone to mentor me. I strum along with a keyboard player each Wednesday evening. Hopefully I will find someone to help push me along. I am beginning to buy some instructional DVD videos to watch. I want to learn good strumming techniques, finger picking and then solos playing. My wife wants me to learn finger picking real fast. She loves listening to it. That is a good incentive if I ever heard one. If anybody has any DVD recommendations, please forward the tiles to me.

Today I like to listen to the easy jazz and blues (Chuck Lobe, Four Play, Craig Chaquico, and of course Eric Clapton. Some day I would like to pick up an album, put it in the CD player and play along with the music … some day! What a dream.

That’s my story.

Tim

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM
A LOT of folks. I have wanted to play guitar a long time. When I finally really started playing, Neil Young was a big inspiration (surprise, surprise). But others too. Blues lick oriented rock (Stuff coming from Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, early Beatles and Stones and the like) and surf and punk coming from those genres have inspired too. Since I got my strat, a whole bunch of blues players have inspired. I really didn't know that Chuck Berry's stuff really came from Robert Johnson before, for example.

Big_Rob
March 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Watching the Rock and Roll guitar GOD (even though he was sloppy as hell) Jimmy Page in The Song Remains the Same when I was 13. :DR

Of course, I had other influences at the time as well.

Jimi Hendrix, Richie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, David Gilmour are just a few

But nothing had that influence of Jimmy Page looking large and in charge working his Les Paul on the big screen.

helliott
March 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
EC in the Bluesbreakers got me hooked. Over the next few years Jimi, Jimmy, Gilmour, the tragic Tele-god Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, Duane Allman, Blackmore, Santana set the hook. SRV made sure it was a gut hook -- set for life.

t_ross33
March 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My Uncle (my Dad's brother-in-law) was my first inspiration. He and my Dad played in bands together and as a duo from the time they were in their late teens/early twenties.

He had a real Ventures meets Luther Perkins meets Don Rich vibe. He's still an awesome picker, though sadly, flying solo since my Dad passed away.

Music has always been around our family. Got my first real guitar for Christmas when I was 5 (not counting the "Snoopy" guitar I had with rubber band strings and played "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" when you wound it up), but didn't start to seriously play until I was 11 or 12.

While I have a great appreciation for a variety of players, I don't have any guitar "Heroes" as such. Just soakin' it all in and trying to learn as much as I can whatever the source.

Spudman
March 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
The Beatles got me into music when I got my first record and player in 1964, it was "I Wanna Hold Your Hand/She Loves you."

My inspiration then to really get into playing the guitar aside from Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Shenker and Robin Trower was just to find a way out of the podunk one horse town I grew up in...and, oh...I needed a girlfriend too.

That's rock n roll!

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
While it was the Beatles that really got me seriously interested in music, it was Clapton with Cream & the Bluesbreakers that made me think, "Wow, I sure would like to be able to do that!" Actually, I'd still like to be able to do that....

snarph
March 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM
you and me both brother :) :) :)

elavd
March 29th, 2007, 01:24 AM
David Gilmour inspired me and he still does!

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Ordered by priority:

1. JIMI HENDRIX
2. KIRK HAMMETT (METALLICA)
3. SRV
4. JOE SATRIANI / STEVE VAI
5. JOHN PETRUCCI (DREAMTHEATER)

Lev
March 29th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Before I ever started to play I can remember the hearing the following songs and thinking 'that guitar sounds so cool!'

- Pride - U2
- Rough Boy - ZZ Top
- Purlple Rain - Prince
- Walk this Way - Run DMC/Aerosmith

Sometimes I wish I could go back to hearing music without a 'guitar player ears'. Back then something just sounded cool period! Now I'm working out how something is played when I hear it or what equipement is being used and I think this can sometimes cloud my judgement of what sounds good.

Fingers
March 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/00317845_med.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/12qs3.jpg

and...............

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/BrianMay003c.jpg

Stratcrazy
March 30th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Hey guys,
I would have to say early on that the guys who got me playing were Alex Lifeson and Neal Schon. That grew into a love for David Gilmour, Santana, and Jerry Garcia. I have had a thing for George Lynch's playing for a long time as well even though I was never really a metal guy. He just plain gets melodic and I love that. I still think Neal Schon is one of the best players of all time!!

pie_man_25
March 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I dunno, once I stopped listening to slipknot and linkin park, I decided to play guitar, no real reson, and I never really liked it, then I heard Rush and the Who, and I heard their bassists, Geddy Lee and John Entwistle (also, a little help from an anime called fooly cooly but spelled FlCl in which a girl bashes people on the head with a 60' rickenbacker 4001) and I wanted to play bass, when my band's bassist moved and we had to find another, guess who looked in a pawn shop and bought a fender MIM Jazz for $300 (with taxes) with a strap and gig bag.

Danzego
March 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I must be at just the wrong age, but I initially got into guitar when the hair bands were prevalent. Not that that's a horribly bad thing, I suppose, seeing as how a lot of them were really good, technical players. Not like now, where all you have to do is drop D, tune down, and you got yourself a band (not to say there aren't good players out there who do so).

Once I got into the heavier metal stuff, I found a lot better guitar players. Since then, I've been going through plenty of different types of music, from heavy to soft to in between. I've definitely been into Zakk Wylde the entire time, no matter what else I've been into, though. He's been the one constant. :)

Too bad I didn't pick up a guitar years before that, when I first intended to; I would have been playing years earlier than the 14 to 15 years old I was at when I started. But, as a little kid....just like now, matter of fact....I had a problem saving up money to get that first guitar. ;)

santi_leuci
April 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM
In my case I started playing at the age of 10 because the greatest guitar player of all times, just my opinion.

MR. BRIAN MAY

LouCaster
June 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM
For me, it was actually a hodge podge of different songs that inspired me to play, long before I actually understood who was behind them. Some notables are "Fly By Night" by Rush (I didn't know then that I would eventually become an addict to Rush but I liked this song because it was different from other stuff that was playing), "Cheap Sunglasses" by ZZ Top (Billy, like Alex Lifeson, is so underrated but he's pure genius IMO), "Carry On Wayward Son" (because I loved how the song changed beat at different times and the guitar playing was fun to play along too and a bit challenging at first), "Aqualung" (I still remember how thrilled I was to play the thematic riff and then be able to harmonize with it in 5ths which led me to learn how to harmonize solos which I still do), "Little Wing" (because there is just nothing that comes across as that does and it's still something that I can only play parts of even after more than 25 years as a regular practicing musician) and so many others I can't think of that challenged me in different ways to become the player I am today. A little piece of this and a little piece of that and a lot of different things that guitarists have said over the years which added to my playing like Ritchie Blackmore when, during an interview, said "If you want to learn new things on your guitar, listen to the sax players because the average sax player is better than the average guitarist".

street music
June 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I must say that my biggest inspiration is a fantastic young player by the name of Roger Coleman , he is the lead player for Southern Storm and also on tour with Justin Moore. I grew up on Beatles, CCR, Eagles, Deep Purple, The Hollies, The Stones and I always wanted to play but just never thought I could.

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM
My dad.

Sure, guitarists from Chuck Berry to Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) inspired me too, but here's what my Da did: brought back acoustic instruments from his world travels, told us kids if we could figure out how to play them they were ours.

I still have the no-name MIJ-acoustic he picked up in Japan. My first guitar.

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
There's been a few that say this, but...my Pops inspired me...just a little, but that's all it took. He had an old Sears Silvertone hollowbody type of thing from when he was about my age when I picked it up. He showed me a few bar chords and from there I went!

I started in school band shortly after (started out on saxophones)...and I learned a lot from that. Kept teaching myself guitar by tabs and trial and error. :rotflmao:

Then in my last couple years of high school I took up percussion in school band. That helped a lot too, believe it or not.

Then in my junior year in high school I took Music Theory...wow...it blew my mind. Then in my senior year I took AP Music Theory...those two years of theory opened up a whole new world for me on guitar.

18 years later...I would have to say that it was my dad that inspired me to play...All it took was that little bit that he did. :AOK:

R.B. Huckleberry
June 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
My late stepfather. He didn't play, but had an ear for good guitar music. He moved in whan I was 10, and brought his record collection...which he gave me free access to. I spent hours in the rec room with Deep Purple's "Made in Japan", Led Zeppelin 2, the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, the Stones' "Sticky Fingers", Hendrix's "Are You Experienced"...the list goes on.

Prior to that, I was hooked on Mom's Beatles records, and someone in the apartment building we lived in had Van Halen 1. That record blew my little mind, but my step-dad's collection of rock & blues showed me where it all came from.

When he had cancer (which he unfortunately didn't beat), I drove him across the state for a procedure. On the way we listened to & discussed "Beggars Banquet". I will never be without a copy of that album.

just strum
June 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Huck,

Great inspiration story. Stepfather musical influence and guidance is nice to hear.:AOK:

Ironbird
June 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cobain believe it or not.Just loved the nirvana unplugged album.and because my older brother had a guitar,and of course I always got the "don't touch my stuff!" from him everyday,haha.One day he heard me strumming nirvana and he let me have the guitar.When I heard of Randy Rhoads,Dimebag and SRV ..it just opened the gate for my guitar kingdom.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Nuttin wrong with that. I miss Cobain as well.

FatCat
June 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
For me it was my cousin, I was just a wee lad back then, he was 20 something. I heard him play Me and Bobby McGee by Kris Kristofferson. I just loved it intensely. I really wanted to learn to do that, but yea my small little mind sort of forgot about it.

20 years later I found the song, instantly remembered, and phoned my brother and asked if I can borrow his acoustic. Google'd my *** off for chords, how to actually play chords and after a while I could play it, but really badly hehe. My problem was I was trying to play with a pick (as the guides suggest) and follow the songs rythm to a tee. Just never could get the feel. I then got drunk and stoned one night, and decided screw this, I will make it mine. Started banging the strings using only my thumb, using my own rythm, and my weird thumb strumming style thingy was born.

To this day it's still my favourite song to play, and the one I do best. :-)

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I guess for me the seed was sown back when I was 16 or around that age and my cousin came up from Columbus OH. As soon as he walked in the door he says, C'mon you have to hear this, where's your stereo?" As he is setting up the stereo to play the album, I'm reading cover and wondering what the hell is he bringing me and why so excited. It as JH, Are You Experienced. Admittidly I had to listen to it a few times, but I started to enjoy it.

The seed lay dormant for years, when I suddenly decided I was going to do it. In the early part of learning I found the "ruts" to be a common experience. Not wanting to give up, but still it was losing some of its enjoyment.

About that time was when I purchased my first acoustic and met the likes of Rocket, Wingsdad, Shiner, CB, Mudcat, and Dreadman (I'm sure there are other names to add) over at Washburn. They inspired me and more importantly motivated me to continue. Just the other day my wife walked in the room and commented "Don't you have to look at your hands when you play?" I immediately thought of Rocket and the numerous times he told me, stop looking at your hands, you are holding yourself back and not "feeling" the music. Then there is Shiner and Wingsdad that helped me through personal issues (don't like the term hardship) and provided positive reenforcement when it was needed. Let us not forget CB and Mudcat - CB offering encouragement and inspiration only someone like her could provide. Mudcat the same, but not so sweet, his was more a just shut up and do it approach, but he means the same as sweet CB.

I honestly don't know if I would have continued to play without the support of these people.

To come here and have these people here means a lot. Then to come here and find people of equal caliber just adds to the support.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like one of CB's posts. I'm going to check the family tree and see if Mother Theresa and I are related.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/violin.gifhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/asskiss.gif

Cheap_Gear
August 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
I had many inspirations. Many of the names have been listed above by other posters. But I also recall just hearing amateurs play throughout my life that just blew me away. I love the sound of an acoustic guitar and music in general.

I always liked the mellow acoustical sounds of bands and artists like CSN&Y,America,Bob Dylan,Eagles....I could go on and on.
Was always one of those people who said, man I wish I could play the guitar. So I finally decided to give it an honest try.
Its taken a while but I have to say I am quite happy that I have managed to reach the level I am at. I am hungry to go further with it and advance. Its addictive for sure.

pes_laul
August 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Nuttin wrong with that. I miss Cobain as well.
he did use the coolest chorus pedal

ShootTheGlass
August 22nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
Though I liked rock and metal, I never had any real interest in learning the guitar to be honest.

I went to see Alter Bridge play Glasgow in June 2005. I was going through a really bad time in my life and wasnt really up for the gig. Was first in the queue, so ended up right at the front of the barriers- as it turned out, right in front of Mark Tremonti's main stage area. Saying "I was blown away" is a bit of a cliche, but it was easily the best gig Ive ever been to: the energy and feel Tremonti put in his playing was incredible, and the speed of his fretwork was astonishing, made all the better because I was - at most - 2 feet away!

Came out from that gig so elated, and I knew then I was going to take up the guitar.

beachhound
August 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Rik Emmet. First time I ever heard rock, classical, coffee house blues and jazz on the same album, let alone a rock album. Turned me on and I never stopped. I can still tell when it's him. Since then Rush, Steve Lukather still gives me chills, Ronnie Earl. Lately alot of the guys doing country, Keith Urban, Brad Paisly and the guy who plays for Kenny Chesney Clayton Mitchel (sp) is putting put some tasty stuff. It's not hard to find reasons to stay at it.

KrisH
August 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Always liked popular music -- Beatles, Monkees, all the British bands -- even pantomined the Beatles on a homecoming float in grade school. Never paid attention to individual instruments other than "guitar" or "drums." I plinked on an old classical guitar my mom got me from the department store she worked at. Learned open chords but that's it.

But in ninth grade, a few classmates of mine with a trio (and their older brothers' pro equipment) played at a school rally in the gym. After playing the Star Spangled Banner, they roared into a run of Grand Funk Railroad tunes at top volume. That BASS!!! It vibrated the bench I sat on and made me crazy. I LOVED that thunder sound! I ended up finangling an old Hagstrom bass from another friend for $25 and started playing. My family moved that following summer, and in my new town, I knew nobody, so I spent the summer in my room playing bass along with all my records. By the time I started the new school in the fall, I had more than a little ability to play. Everything else went from there.

BTW, I tracked that old classmate down earlier this year and let him know just how he ruined my life. :poke: