PDA

View Full Version : pedal board terminology

pes_laul
May 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
In my may 08 guitar player magazine it says filters should come first in my pedal chain. When it says "first" does it mean the first pedal my guitar plugs into or the first pedal coming out from my amp?

markb
May 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I think they mean first after the guitar. Some say this is where wahs and phasers should go.

pes_laul
May 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I think they mean first after the guitar. Some say this is where wahs and phasers should go.
okay cool then I know where to put my pedals now. thanks:master:

duhvoodooman
May 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yes, first = right after the guitar.

While wahs are usually recommended to go at or near the front of the pedal chain, most of what I've read says that time-shift effects, like phasers, are better near the end of the chain. Before reverb or delay effects, but after distortion, filter and compression effects. But let your ears be your ultimate guide....

tremoloman
May 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Don't always go by what the "experts" say... trial and error is the best way as each setup is unique. :)

pes_laul
May 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
yeah I put my small clone and after my distortion and what a big difference! it sounded so smooth and liquidy

TS808
May 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Everything I've read always said that you put the wah first, overdrives and distortions next, and then modulation, and delays after. I've seen both sides with compressors...some folks swear by putting them in the front of the chain, and others swear that putting them at the end of the chain is the way to go.

Guitar Player Magazine had an article about this a few months back, and they recommended wah--> compressor---> overdrive--> distortion--> modulation--> delay.

duhvoodooman
May 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Guitar Player Magazine had an article about this a few months back, and they recommended wah--> compressor---> overdrive--> distortion--> modulation--> delay.
I think that's generally good advice, though you can get some really interesting sounds by mixing things up. For example, I love the sound of my Rat clone after my phaser pedal--gives it this kind of semi-phased, semi-wah kind of sound. I also like to run my wah after a distortion pedal, which gives a really exaggerated wah effect. I'd say start with what the conventional wisdom says, but then don't be afraid to experiment and find what sounds good to you.

Iago
May 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
funny, cos I always use the compressor AFTER the overdrive/distortion pedal. The same for Boosters.

So for me would be like:
phaser<-compressor<-booster<-overdrive<-fuzz<-wah< --guitar

note 1: I never actually hooked so many pedals in chain like that. I`ve used 3-4 pedals together at the most, so it may or may not work :D

note 2: I may use the wah after the fuzz. Gives and whole different sound.

robert43
May 20th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Hi ok for my son he has a wah , delay , chrous & a overdrive so starting from the guitar - wah - ? -? -? thanks

duhvoodooman
May 20th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Hi ok for my son he has a wah , delay , chrous & a overdrive so starting from the guitar - wah - ? -? -? thanks
Conventional wisdom says wah --> overdrive --> chorus --> delay.

robert43
May 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks for that thats what I had but was wondering.
Ok nex question is I am get a job lot pedals for my bass they are a envolpe filter, chrous , limiter , flanger , & a limiter what order should I put the bass then ?????? thanks