PDA

View Full Version : Ever try to clean your iPod ?

ted s
May 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
IN THE FREAKING WASHING MACHINE ?? :flamemad:

It's not working right now, no $hit eh ? but I have a hair dryer on it.
An excuse for a bigger faster stronger one I suppose.

pes_laul
May 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
ouch, thats brutal. I've gotten electronics wet before and most of the time it doesn't end well

OT: speaking of Ipods How do I get rid of songs that are on my ipod

Guitar Gal
May 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
OT: speaking of Ipods How do I get rid of songs that are on my ipod

I believe you can delete songs from your iPod if you go into your music library on your computer and delete them. Then, when you plug your iPod into the computer the next time, it will update the iPod without the songs you deleted. At least this worked for me :AOK:

GG

ted s
May 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
+1 on GG.

Well, my superior finesse abilities got me nowhere except I was able to determine that strangely enough there's not a whole lot you can do with it after you pry it apart with a knife and a screwdriver.

Guitar Gal
May 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
:messedup:

Sounds like you'll be getting another iPod Ted :thwap:

GG

ted s
May 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
anyone familiar with a Nokia m800 ?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2817195&CatId=228
or maybe the 8g iPod touch ?

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I never owned an iPod, but if you try GG's idea, you might hear the ocean on the download:D

Sorry for the unfortunate luck you've experienced.

thearabianmage
May 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
If you want a decent mp3 player, don't splash out on iPods.

The problem with mp3 players is that it's still very new technology. Granted, we can touch the screens and play movies, but that doesn't help the fragile motherboard stay absolutely shock-free, or the lithium-ion batteries from slowly depleting their maximum storage capacity. All-in-all, wait 5 years or so before you start spending serious money on mp3 players. Until then, go for Creative. They last about a year to a year and a half of 'moderate' (4-6 hours per day) use, depending on a few factors. I've been with Zen for a while now (3 1/2 years - 3 Zens) and have had far fewer problems than I did with my iPod. And even though I got 3 of them, the other 2 still work just fine (but they are on their last leg) My first Zen even got absolutely soaked in an English rainshower (I swung it and water fanned out, then it proceeded to drip for the next 5 minutes) and after a few hours (5 or so) it worked again!

Plus, iPods are very restrictive with compatible file types and the libraries with which you can upload the songs from. With a Zen, you literally plug it into the USB, sync with Windows Media Player, drag and drop. That's just one way, at least. They also come with software, but that's more for organizational purposes. If you organize your music before it's even put onto your computer (like I do), such programs become rather redundant, which saves a lot of time in the long-run.

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I've heard this before about Creative. The sales people at Circuit City have mentioned it to me and a couple of my son's friends talk about them.

thearabianmage
May 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I've heard this before about Creative. The sales people at Circuit City have mentioned it to me and a couple of my son's friends talk about them.

I'm not gonna sit here and bust everyone's chops bigging up Creative, they do mess up, but all in all, they are better than iPods in my opinion. Simple things: another problem with mp3 players is the tendency for information traveling through the device to corrupt spontaneously, whcih freezes the player. With iPod, I'd have to wait till the battery died, then charge it up. Zens have a restart button (that is only accessible with the use of a pin-needle) Greater compatibility with a broader range of formats, the Zen Touch, my current player, has a 20+ hour battery life (nowadays, most iPods offer this as well, but the Zen Touch was designed 3 or 4 years ago) I could sit here and nag and what not, but, again in my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to Zens vs. iPods. Another thing is that, because of Apple iPods, Zens are cheaper in order to compete. This is only another plus (and evidence to my personal, though admittedly arrogant, opinion that iPods are over-priced fashion accessories. Wait 5 years and even iPods will drop in price!

ted s
May 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
The iPod I killed was actually my wifes Christmas gift from her work.
I told her it was her fault for not checking my pockets.:spank:
Good thing Strummy didn't take that couch out of garage.

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The iPod I killed was actually my wifes Christmas gift from her work.
I told her it was her fault for not checking my pockets.:spank:
Good thing Strummy didn't take that couch out of garage.

I cleaned it off as soon as I read this post. I'll leave the side door open and there will be beer in a cooler next to the couch.

Kazz
May 19th, 2008, 04:20 AM
we have 3 ipods....cannot say enough good things about them, but typically we take better care of electronics than most families.....well other than the mysterious person who keeps twisting on the tuning pegs of my guitars LMAO.

As for your ipod....washing it.....well....sorry to hear that.....its probably moved on to the next life.

I got a blackberry for work, and have bought an add in memory card and have a couple of gigs of music on it now....boy that thing is fun....and better than an Ipod in the sense you do not HAVE to use headphones with it....but you can.

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
... but typically we take better care of electronics than most families.....

Maybe so, but is yours cleaner than Teds? Opps, I mean Ted's wifes iPod.:D

ted s
May 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
:rotflmao:

WackyT
May 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I tried cleaned a keyboard in the dishwasher once, and it worked fine afterwards. :eek:

SuperSwede
May 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I tried cleaned a keyboard in the dishwasher once, and it worked fine afterwards. :eek:

Yeah that works.. just remember to use the low heat program.

Simon
May 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
- is in the opinion of many the Sansa Clip. I have one, I think the sound is great too. Add to that:

inexpensive (2 GB and radio = $50-60)
very compact design
fair battery life (12-15 hrs)
a helpful forum (http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board?board.id=clip) and on-going support from Sandisk (updates their firmware - the latest added Ogg Vorbis capability).

Be warned though that there is an issue with the 4 gb (silver) version: The screen is made semi-reflective, which leads to poor outside visibility.
C-net review (http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sandisk-sansa-clip-2gb/4505-6490_7-32577902.html)