PDA

View Full Version : Do brand new guitars not sound as good?

Moshe
May 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
It seems to me my guitars sound better as they age. I have an '04 American Tele that is finally starting to sound good, really good I mean. I don't think its my playing, I think it has something to do with the wood. Anybody else experience this?

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I know it's true with acoustics that are made of solid wood (not laminated), but never heard of the same for electric. Have you done a series of mods over the years and maybe the last one sort of blended everything together into a sweet sounding guitar?

Moshe
May 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I know it's true with acoustics that are made of solid wood (not laminated), but never heard of the same for electric. Have you done a series of mods over the years and maybe the last one sort of blended everything together into a sweet sounding guitar?

The only mod I made was replacing the six saddle bridge with a vintage style Glendale. That was about a year and a half ago.

just strum
May 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The only mod I made was replacing the six saddle bridge with a vintage style Glendale. That was about a year and a half ago.

Could it be you are becoming a better guitar player, capable of creating a better sound?

dws
May 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Could it be you are becoming a better guitar player, capable of creating a better sound?

I agree with just strum. It's more likely that you're just better. Give yourself more credit! :)

Spudman
May 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I've had solid bodies both ways - sounding good from the start and sounding better as they age.

I usually keep the really fun to play guitars out of their cases so that sound waves can interact with the wood molecules on a continual basis. I think that over time the more the wood has had sound waves going through it the more character it takes on.

Just an observation with my stuff. I've had guitars that came alive once the finish cracked too. That was an instantaneous transformation. The other way takes much longer and may not be as noticeable to someone who is around and playing that guitar always. The change may be too subtle.

I don't know if "better" is the operative word but "more character" might be more appropriate.

Tone2TheBone
May 18th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I've had solid bodies both ways - sounding good from the start and sounding better as they age.

I usually keep the really fun to play guitars out of their cases so that sound waves can interact with the wood molecules on a continual basis. I think that over time the more the wood has had sound waves going through it the more character it takes on.

Just an observation with my stuff. I've had guitars that came alive once the finish cracked too. That was an instantaneous transformation. The other way takes much longer and may not be as noticeable to someone who is around and playing that guitar always. The change may be too subtle.

I don't know if "better" is the operative word but "more character" might be more appropriate.

I swear man you're my evil twin or something. Too crazy. :thwap: :dude:

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 05:41 AM

I usually keep the really fun to play guitars out of their cases so that sound waves can interact ...

...I don't know if "better" is the operative word but "more character" might be more appropriate.

I don't know how factual that is, but I have to admit it is an interesting theory.

It's that, or it's a set-up for another recall announcement.:D