PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Action on the New Peavey

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I lowered the action on the new Peavey and the G string went dead when I fret at the 12th thru 22nd. By dead I mean the sustain is less than the other strings and has somewhat of a thunk sound (hey, it's the best way I can describe it).

I'm going to head out shortly and get new strings, but I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

Maybe I need to get that file that Spud keeps mentioning.

Spudman
May 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
You may need to shim the neck to compensate for that problem. If the whole end of the fretboard is dead on most of the strings then put a shim at the end of the neck pocket towards the tuners.

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You may need to shim the neck to compensate for that problem. If the whole end of the fretboard is dead on most of the strings then put a shim at the end of the neck pocket towards the tuners.

The strange thing is it's only the G string. At first I thought maybe it was hitting a pup, bit that's fine.

I'll mess with it a little and if nothing works I will try your suggestion. I've only shimmed acoustic saddles, what sort of thickness would I be looking at? I'm assuming nothing major, maybe credit card thickness at the most, yes?

Spudman
May 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
If it is only on the G then raise it until it goes away - check the overall action - tighten or loosen the truss rod so that the neck is almost straight.

Remember that these necks have a 9.5 radius and the action is not going to be straight across for all the strings. The bridge saddles should match the neck radius pretty closely.

When that is done and if it is still way too high then the shim you'll start with is about the thickness of the cardboard on the back of your check book (pretty thin).

ZMAN
May 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey JS what you need is a Darren! They are quite cheap and they always seem to get the set up perfect. I think they cost 35 dollars for a complete set up plus strings. A Darren can also walk on water and can have my first child if he pleases.
Seriously I asked him how I could learn to do what he does and he said after 1000 or so guitars to come and see hime and he will fine tune my skills.

TS808
May 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I lowered the action on the new Peavey and the G string went dead when I fret at the 12th thru 22nd. By dead I mean the sustain is less than the other strings and has somewhat of a thunk sound (hey, it's the best way I can describe it).

I'm going to head out shortly and get new strings, but I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

Maybe I need to get that file that Spud keeps mentioning.

It could be a couple different things...First, I would check the action on all your strings to make sure they are all at the same height. If you have a small ruler, measure from the top of the 17th fret to the bottom of each string and make sure they are the same. For low action, 2/32" of an inch is a good height.

A uniform height will also mean that the strings match the radius of your fretboard.

Check the saddles too for any burrs, or if the saddle is set too low/uneven.

Some relief in the neck is a good thing...I usually capo the guitar at the first fret, and press on the last fret, and using the low "E" string, I measure between the top of the 8th fret and the bottom of the string for about the thickness of a .010 string...you want some relief or you may get some fret buzz. If your neck is too straight or back-bowed, you might get some deadening of the strings.

If those don't work, take it in for a good setup to also make sure the frets are even...one may need filed down a bit.

New guitars always get knocked a little out of whack during shipping, and I've learned that I always have to set up the guitar when I first get it.

If you want a good guide, just use Fender's recommendations for a set up. It's in the support section of their site. Good luck ; )

just strum
May 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Well, I changed strings to D'Addario 10's Nickel wound. Sounds much better. Set action at 2/32 at the 17th.

I'm going to adjust the intonation (never did that before), I will read up a little on the web.

just strum
May 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Well came home tonight and it just didn't seem to sound right. Made a few adjustments to the saddles, but it didn't do the job.

So I went with Spuds suggestion and shimmed it. I used picks. Tried a couple different sizes making my way down to a .045 and sanded it down to take off the raised lettering.

I then TS808's suggestion of checking each string at the 17th fret and have that set. I will have to check it again tomorrow because I was running out of good natural light, but I think it's good.

I'll do the intonation sometime this week and she should be singing. Again, good deal for $149

Now to get Blooz to trade for that Strat of his. Shhhh, don't tell him I paid $149, between all of us I have a $2,800 Tele I'm looking to trade. Remember, don't tell him.

marnold
May 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM
The nicest thing about having a cheap(ish) guitar is teaching yourself to do set-ups and other repairs. In the end, you'll save a fortune. As long as you don't say "I think I'll spin the truss rod three full revolutions" or go Pete Townsend on it, it's really hard to permanently hurt a guitar.

Which reminds me of a Simpsons quote from Apu (sp?), "Silly customer! You cannot hurt a Twinkie!"

just strum
May 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
The nicest thing about having a cheap(ish) guitar is teaching yourself to do set-ups and other repairs. In the end, you'll save a fortune.

I certainly have to agree with you there. It is especially nice when you do it on a cheap, let's say inexpensive guitar that will actually give back positive results for your time and labor. That is what is nice about this Tele, I basically been "tweaking" it for the past two days and the results have been rewarding. Still have a little more work, but I am happy with the guitar.

The price was $149, but since I had a small amount of funds left over from previous guitar sales, I only had to pay about $60 out of new funds (aka: grocery money).

However, next time I'll have to remember not to turn the truss rod three full revolutions:D

Spudman
May 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
However, next time I'll have to remember not to turn the truss rod three full revolutions:D

I usually go until it snaps and then back up 1/4 turn.;)

marnold
May 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
I usually go until it snaps and then back up 1/4 turn.;)
No wonder you've bought so many guitars :)

Spudman
May 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
No wonder you've bought so many guitars :)

Ya, I just found out that you can replace the necks. Now to start my neck collection.:AOK: