PDA

View Full Version : So I just bought one of these...

Rabies
May 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special?sku=515115

Been gassing for one for a long time. Buying it brand new, sight unseen...or play unplayed. Should be here by the long weekend. :dude:

Wish me luck that I don't get a turd. :thwap:

Dauntless
May 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Luck Dude!

Spudman
May 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Great choice.
Those are fine sounding and playing guitars. I have almost gotten one several times but...I wanted something with more heft.

They make those with alder bodies and the necks feel very nice.

Enjoy.

t_ross33
May 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM
From what I hear, with a good setup, these are quite passable.

Hmmm... might be a good base for a blackguard Esquire project :D

Keep us posted. Pics and clips, brother. Pics and clips. :AOK:

Kazz
May 20th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Good luck bro...let us know how it turns out.

Rabies
May 20th, 2008, 04:15 AM
They make those with alder bodies and the necks feel very nice.

Yeah. Almost all the reviews are gleaming. Being poor, I had to buy another budget guitar. I actually could have done without it, but you know how it is.

That being said, I had enough coin to spare for a Standard Squier. But I still sprung for this one. I really didn't see that much of a difference, especially when all the reviews say they play great and sound decent. Anyone have experience with both the BSB Affinity and the Standard line?

Brian Krashpad
May 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
No experience with those here, but congrats and good luck!

You'll be fine with buying from MF, if it's a dog you can send her back. I have a modded Squier Bullet Strat coming from ebay-- if that'un's a dud I'm screwed!

;)

Tone E
May 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Very nice, love the blonde.
All teles should have maple necks, hate rosewood on a tele.

Gil Janus
May 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
I expect to get a Squier BSB Tele as my next guitar. The reviews from many sources say that this is another one of those - "how do they do it" Squiers.

Gil :cool:

Dauntless
May 22nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
You will like it!!
I've got one I've made a few changes to, sitting right here next to my computer! That makes it the first Tele I reach for, when I want that
"Tele Sound" :rockon: :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
I expect to get a Squier BSB Tele as my next guitar. The reviews from many sources say that this is another one of those - "how do they do it" Squiers.

"BSB?"

School me.

Spudman
May 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
"BSB?"

School me.

ButterScotch Brian.:D

Actually I thought BSB referred to Braun Sunburst. That is the light amber center with the brown around the edges like the Richie Kotzen Telecaster.

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
ButterScotch Brian.:D

Actually I thought BSB referred to Braun Sunburst. That is the light amber center with the brown around the edges like the Richie Kotzen Telecaster.

Ah, brownburst!

http://static.flickr.com/25/64208937_f659426fdf.jpg

I reckon I know what you mean. ;) Although my burst Tele seems a little darker than what you have in mind.

warren0728
May 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
i thought it meant bucker-single coil-bucker

ww

Spudman
May 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Maybe like this?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_kotzen_telecaster_bsb.htm?partner_id=79570

The thing is - the OP is talking about the Affinity Tele which is Butterscotch. :confused:

Bloozcat
May 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special?sku=515115

Been gassing for one for a long time. Buying it brand new, sight unseen...or play unplayed. Should be here by the long weekend. :dude:

Wish me luck that I don't get a turd. :thwap:

Sniff...sniff...what's that smell?

Oh, ok...it's just that dog over there in the grass. Whew! I thought for a minute....:D

All kidding aside, Rabies, from what I've seen of the Squires coming out of Indonesia lately, it'll probably be a great guitar. Seem to be some of the best bang for the buck deals going.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
So...I'm sitting here waiting for Brown Truck...:dude:

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Brown Truck arrived a few hours ago...:D

Gil Janus
May 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
So - pictures - a quick review ?

Or have you been drawn into the guitar ?

Spudman
May 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Brown Truck arrived a few hours ago...:D

Hours?! You're gonna get spanked unless we see the goods.:deadhorse:

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hours?! You're gonna get spanked unless we see the goods.:deadhorse:

OK, OK...These pics were taken in a HURRY with my crappy camera...because Spudro is beating an animal with a stick at me. :D

And if I remember correctly, you teased everyone a while back with a certain thread about a certain signature beauty...:AOK:

Anyway...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/tjasonhayes/DSC01849.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/tjasonhayes/DSC01850.jpg

And now, everyone together for the humble family photo:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/tjasonhayes/DSC01861.jpg

More details on it later...I wanna play it some more before I draw any final conclusions. So far, so good though! :bravo:

Gil Janus
May 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Very nice looker there. I even like your taste in the background - a nice paisley.

Keep us appraised when you get a chance.

warren0728
May 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
sweeeeettttt!!!!!! :bravo: :beer:

can't wait to hear a review!

ww

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Rabies,

Nice tele and now another member of the BUG club.:AOK:

Guitar Gal
May 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Nice tele Rabies :dude:

Looking forward to your review once you get to know her.

GG

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Rabies,

Nice tele and now another member of the BUG club.:AOK:

BUG club? :confused:

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
BUG club? :confused:

We had a thread going a few weeks ago and a couple of us commented that the tele isn't an attractive guitar initially. It is one of those guitars that grows on you. You first are drawn in by the different tone/sound that it provides and then the look starts to grow on you. One of the other members, in agreement, referred to it as a Butt Ugly Guitar. When I ordered mine last weekend I commented I was another member of the BUG club.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
We had a thread going a few weeks ago and a couple of us commented that the tele isn't an attractive guitar initially. It is one of those guitars that grows on you. You first are drawn in by the different tone/sound that it provides and then the look starts to grow on you. One of the other members, in agreement, referred to it as a Butt Ugly Guitar. When I ordered mine last weekend I commented I was another member of the BUG club.

Oh. :D :AOK:

I think they're beautiful...looks and tone.:master:

Probably my favorite body style.

Edit: I proudly accept my membership to the BUG club...again. Not my first tele. Hopefully not my last.:beer:

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Here's another pic...with new strings (:D ) and sans the plastic on the pickguard. And for Gil Janus: the obligatory paisley pillow that matches the paisley comforter on the bed the first photo was taken. :D :D :rotflmao:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/tjasonhayes/DSC01865.jpg

Can anyone spot the minor finish blem? How about a bit of a contest? A FREE Cliplock strap to the first person in the ConUS that can tell me what I'm talking about. It's visible in every photo that I've posted and it is NOT an effect of my crappy photography. ;)

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Oh. :D :AOK:

I think they're beautiful...looks and tone.:master:

Probably my favorite body style.

Edit: I proudly accept my membership to the BUG club...again. Not my first tele. Hopefully not my last.:beer:

don't forget to add the guitar to your signature.

Oh, the blem is to the left of the pick guard - a little dot that appears to be a dent of some sort.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
don't forget to add the guitar to your signature.

Oh, the blem is to the left of the pick guard - a little dot that appears to be a dent of some sort.

Will do.

And no, that's not it. I'm tempted to give hints, but I won't. Could be tricky. The most observant Fretter in the United States will get this...look out, more paisley:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/tjasonhayes/DSC01869.jpg

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
You didn't say if it was limited guesses, so here's two more.

The chrome is blinding

or

At the factory someone glued a paisley pillow to the back and decided to sell it "as is"

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
You didn't say if it was limited guesses, so here's two more.

The chrome is blinding

or

At the factory someone glued a paisley pillow to the back and decided to sell it "as is"

:D :rotflmao: :D

No, it's not limited guess...first person that guesses is T3H W1nn3rz!

But I did buy it as a blem...I had no idea chrome could be that blinding, and I think I'm the first person in guitar history to get a paisley pillow with an online guitar purchase. :dude:

Edit: I didn't buy it as a blem. But technically, I did get one. I mean, come on, chrome that bright? A pillow?!?!

And back to the serious. I did technically get a blem. As far as I'm concerned. But it is minor...but very noticeable at the same time once you know where it is. But, I'm KEEPING IT because it's a pretty sweet player. I was surprised...drunken review still to come!

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Okay, back to serious. There appears to be a smudge on the upper right portion of the pick guard, but it could also be reflection.

Edit: last of my guesses. There appears to be two spots to the left of the neck. One about a 1/2 inch the other about 1.5 inches.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Okay, back to serious. There appears to be a smudge on the upper right portion of the pick guard, but it could also be reflection.

Edit: last of my guesses. There appears to be two spots to the left of the neck. One about a 1/2 inch the other about 1.5 inches.

The smudge on the pickguard is just that...a smudge, not a reflection. And the spots left of the neck you speak of are no dice.

I hate to give hints, but you're so close...you're on the right track...my photography sucks...:D But what I'm talking about is not because of photos. It's tricky.

Good luck to anyone that wants to play. No limit to guesses. First person that picks it will get T3h pR1z3!!!111!!1one! :D

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
I figured it for reflection, but that long light line that begins (or ends) right below the strap button.

Or it's the initials someone carved on the back of the guitar.

If I am right on either, put the strap up for bid with the money to be given to thefret.net

sumitomo
May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Nice ride Rabies looks to me like a little bing left upper as I look at the photo.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
May 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
My guess (if strum is finished....) is that it's the hazy patch to the right of the tone/volume controls.

Nice guitar - like the color - and I still love a tele even if I can't make one sing..

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I figured it for reflection, but that long light line that begins (or ends) right below the strap button.

Or it's the initials someone carved on the back of the guitar.

If I am right on either, put the strap up for bid with the money to be given to thefret.net

That is reflection...but you're on the right track...look around.:AOK:

I'd like to give this strap to someone that wants it, but if all else fails, I will offer it for sale and all proceeds will go to TheFret. Whether it's on here or an auction site.

Spudman
May 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Is it the pale finish blem just off of the control plate?

Nice guitar by the way. I think those are very good and you'll enjoy it for a long time.:AOK:

PS. Thanks for the tension.:pancake:

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
We have a winner....:D

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
My guess (if strum is finished....) is that it's the hazy patch to the right of the tone/volume controls.

Nice guitar - like the color - and I still love a tele even if I can't make one sing..

I wasn't finished:D , I was making my way to that area of the guitar, you didn't give me a chance. :D :D

Truthfully if that's it, I would never have caught it.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I wasn't finished:D , I was making my way to that area of the guitar, you didn't give me a chance. :D :D

Truthfully if that's it, I would never have caught it.

Yep, that's it. It kinda looks like it could be a reflection from my craptacular pics or something, but I'm looking at it right now with my eyes. tjcurtin1 you have a PM. :AOK:

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Ok, I made seven guesses, some serious and a couple as a joke - I'll send thefret a $1 for each guess.

No biggie, but just a small donation, maybe be able to buy a couple of smilies:D

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ok, I made seven guesses, some serious and a couple as a joke - I'll send thefret a $1 for each guess.

No biggie, but just a small donation, maybe be able to buy a couple of smilies:D

Are you trying to make me feel guilty? :D At this point, I could only donate a couple dollars. Probably just enough to buy a few beers. Would that help?:confused:

sunvalleylaw
May 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I like the look of that. i like a blonde or butterscotch with black guard in a tele.

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Are you trying to make me feel guilty? :D At this point, I could only donate a couple dollars. Probably just enough to buy a few beers. Would that help?:confused:

No, it's not to make anyone feel guilty, I'm just paying because I took so many shots at guessing. I'm in a small charitable mood. Before the jokes and/or request come flooding in, the mood has passed.:D

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I like the look of that. i like a blonde or butterscotch with black guard in a tele.

I wanted a butterscotch Peavey, but they couldn't be found at the $149 price. I settled on the blonde and in person is much better than pictures. However, Rabies butterscotch keeps me drooling.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
No, it's not to make anyone feel guilty, I'm just paying because I took so many shots at guessing. I'm in a small charitable mood. Before the jokes and/or request come flooding in, the mood has passed.:D

The shots at guessing were free. I am in quite the charitable mood as well...hence the little spur of the moment small giveaway.

I'm still feeling charitable...I would love to donate what few dollars I can, should TheFret accept donations that small. Like I said, it would probably only be enough for a few beers or so. :whatever:

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
The shots at guessing were free. I am in quite the charitable mood as well...hence the little spur of the moment small giveaway.

I'm still feeling charitable...I would love to donate what few dollars I can, should TheFret accept donations that small. Like I said, it would probably only be enough for a few beers or so. :whatever:

I don't think the size of the donation matters, every bit I'm sure helps. Besides, you never know when they will have a beer bash and need the beer money.

I really have no authority to speak for the forum, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.:whatever:

Tone E
May 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Great pics mate, and I really love that guitar, very very nice.

Also, teles ugly?

Now way!, Ugly is the big angular looking things like B.C. Rich or Washburn Dimbag or Gibson explorer or some such. Tele is a pretty girl and this is a very nice example indeed. Something to be proud of. Nice buy.

t_ross33
May 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Very, very nice, classic looking Tele. Good score!

Now I'm really GASing for one for an Esquire project...

Just pop out the neck p'up (who uses a neck p'up on a Tele anyway :D), add a solid black pickguard, tint the neck and rewire the 3 pos switch...

Smokin' :AOK:

As far as BUG goes, in my eyes nothing could be further from the truth. The graceful curves and hourglass figure are also "Smokin'" My favorite body style from the first time I played one.

Have fun. Give us a full review :poke:

tjcurtin1
May 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
WOOHOO! I acshully wun sumfin!? I NEVER win nuffin!!

Thanks, Rabies!

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
:D

You've got a PM Tjcurtin1. :AOK:

It took me three tries to properly type your name. :rotflmao:

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Just pop out the neck p'up (who uses a neck p'up on a Tele anyway :D)

At first, I kinda hated the neck pickup on this thing (I still would like to upgrade both pups, with the 4-way switch upgrade). But the more I've played on it, I am starting to dig it quite a bit. :AOK:

Give us a full review :poke:

I'm a procrastinator...a BAD one at that. Keep patient. :rotflmao: :AOK:

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ugly is the big angular looking things like B.C. Rich or Washburn Dimbag or Gibson explorer or some such.

:(

Bad times. . . I think that sometimes people are just prejudiced against B.C. Rich's because of the musical associations attached with them, just as they may be biased towards Fenders for the same reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of this, by no means, it just always makes me sad when people are like 'pointy guitars are so gash!' I own pointy, rounded, fretted, fretless, electric and acoustic guitars. They all have their own individual pros and cons.

Eye of the beholder? Each to his own? Whatever floats your boat?

marnold
May 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Now way!, Ugly is the big angular looking things like B.C. Rich or Washburn Dimbag or Gibson explorer or some such. Tele is a pretty girl and this is a very nice example indeed. Something to be proud of. Nice buy.
As a child of the 80s, I love me some pointies! Give my a Rhoads flying V any day! I like the Dime ones too except they are b.i.g. huge! Of course, this is from a guy whose three guitars are all Strat-shaped. Not even Dinky, mind you. To each their own.

Even though I don't think that the Tele is that good looking of an axe, for my the Tele bridge sound is probably my favorite single coil tone.

Bilsdragon
December 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I bought one of these in November with my birthday money. You can see it in my pics. The pick-up switch already croaked and the fret ends are a little sharp. I already ordered everything to transform this guitar from GFS. New switch, pick-ups(hot tc alnico bridge, classic tc alnico neck), pots, and string thru bridge with ferrules. I guess the guitar will be more like a mim when I'm done, but I love the butterscotch blonde/ black pick guard look.