PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your band starts playing a different tune...

zuschnell
May 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
First post here at TheFret.Net...

I live in a town (a big one) where I have no connections except my wife (the reason for being here) and my sister. Everyone else is hundreds of miles away. I've been playing since I was 10. I still have my greatest acquisition from when I was 14, a Gibson ES-347. Thirty years later I'm finally playing regularly, getting the chops down and writing material.

About five years ago, I hooked up with two guys to start a small jam band. We've played private parties and get together every month to six weeks. Sometimes its a few time a week; sometime its months (like the summer time with vacations and kids). Lately we've been working on some of our own material. We all are middle aged and each one has our own business; and we have worked together outside of the music. This gives us flexibility with our time and gear acquisitions. Most guys our age would be hitting the county club links with their free time but we play music. It's gotten to the point of asking clients and vendors if they play or sing. We added a few to the jam band as guess musicians. It's been fun and great until now.

With the current election coverage, we have been having off-topic discussions and the stuff I have been hearing from these two guys is appalling and down right scary. They have a very dark outlook on life and our society. They are involved with guns and sourcing silencers and mod kits to go 'fully automatic'. They used to asked if I would like to join them at the gun club someday...

I've invested countless hours of creativity charting and re-scoring songs for a three piece band, writing and editing our own stuff, recording and mixing demos, and practicing on my own to get my sound perfect for the next jam or the rare performance.

I'm completely lost now. I have the drive to perform but not all the energy nor contacts to re-form a band. I'm on the dark side of the moon...

Tone2TheBone
May 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the Fret. Where ya from? Sounds like the revolution has started in your area. ;)

Robert
May 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Welcome, zuschnell. That sounds a bit scary. Maybe you need to talk to them more about this. Maybe both parties need make clear where you stand with this issue?

duhvoodooman
May 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Whoa, pretty heavy question there. Suggest that you may want to stop over at The Fret Players forum and introduce yourself before we dive into this one!

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Take a hint from John Phil Wayne or Seasick Steve. Sometimes you can only rely on yourself. And it can be good that way, too. No one to tell you to cut your solos down (or stop shredding) or any of that. Basically, just carry on playing music. That's what you've been doing since you were 10, isn't it? Why stop (or change) now?