PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo Strat upgrade, need opinions.

DRPool
May 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Okay, I got an Affinity Series HSS strat a couple weeks ago for $30. It actually plays decent, stays in tune well and is kind of fun to noodle around with occasionally. Mainly I bought it to tinker with, mod, tear apart, experiment, etc. and the first of those events is about to happen.

I've got a GFS blowout HSS pickguard coming tomorrow to replace the stock stuff in the guitar now. My plan is to replace the hummer in the pg with a GFS Crunchy PAT that I have lying around here.

So (finally) the question is, is there any chance the Crunchy PAT be a bit too much beef for the strat? Perhaps a simpleton question but I don't have much experience with strats. :thwap:

Also, if there are any other simple mods for a modding noob that you can recommend please do so. I'll probably have the hood opened up the rest of the week on this thing.

Thanks.

Bloozcat
May 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say it's too hot for a Strat, as long as you realize what it is that you're getting. A 14k pickup, is definitely at the upper end of humbuckers.

In split mode (if it is truly split and each coil is wound equally), you'll have a 7k single coil at the bridge.

I believe that the Crunchy PAT is a ceramic magnet pickup, which may match the stock single coils in the guitar. Although Alnico magnet pickups are best known as the vintage style/toned pickup for a Strat, you may still get some good tones out of this set-up.

Best advice? Try it. If you like it, keep it. If not, try something else.

I think it was Wayne Gretsky who said, "You miss 100% of the shots you never take."

Take a shot....:AOK:

marnold
May 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Well, I would argue that there technically is no such thing as a pickup that is too hot. Just think about what you want from it. I'm going with a lower output humbucker for my HSS because I've already got a guitar with a really hot humbucker and I want the bridge-middle combo to sound balanced. You could also keep the PAT low to reduce its output.

DRPool
May 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys, good info. We're on the same page here, I figure this thing will be just the thing for a lot of trial and error. I'm sure this won't be the first time it's gets pulled apart and made over.

Spudman
May 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'll bet that could be a good sounding setup.

Like Marnold says keep the bucker low so that it balances output wise with the other pickups. Think of it as a different voiced hum-canceling Strat bridge pickup. Don't think of it as a mega output pickup but instead as a way to have a great sounding noise free Strat bridge pickup. You may have to run it pretty low in height but who will really care? You'll want to be able to close your eyes and flip through the pickups and go "oh ya, that sounds great!"