PDA

View Full Version : I'm a quitter. . .

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Right, I did read the rules when I signed up here and know that mention of illegal substances is forbidden, but considering I'm giving them up, I'm sure that makes this post okay.

After over 8 1/2 years (4 years of everyday use) I am giving up weed. I know, it sucks. I've always loved rolling a little doob (I was never a fiend) and then playing some guitar, but I don't have any money, it's getting upgraded as a more punishable drug soon, and I'm starting that course at Uni, so now is the best time to quit. But here's the downside: smoking in America is okay because it's just the weed in the skin and that's that. Here, because everything is so expensive, we mix weed with tobacco. So what was once a drug with only a mild mental-addictiveness has now become a super-drug with a strong physical addiction and a mild mental addiction - and this is how I've been smoking it for 6 years. In the past 3 years, I've given up cigarettes altogether and just smoked joints i.e. just smoked this 'super-drug'. But today is the first day that I have voluntarily gone an entire day without weed in as long as I can remember. And at the moment it is okay because Jack Daniels is by my side. But soon, I hope to go a whole day without feeling the need to pump drugs in me.

I tell you what though. You really forget what you used to do after you have been a stoner for so long. Today I have nearly finished a book I started (today), I've been cleaning my flat for the upcoming move to London, been fixing an old Jackson-Charvel that I've been working on. . . And I haven't even fukcing touched my guitar ALL day! My god!

I tell you the weirdest feeling of all though: this feeling of change. I don't know how exactly to put it to words, but there is an odd atmosphere around here (even though I'm alone), which is probably to do with so many things happening at once. My girlfriend dumped me, lost my job, moving away, giving up a favorite pastime, everything I'm used to is changing (again) but everything feels so familiar yet foreign. It's like, I look at my room now, and nothing has changed physically, but because I look at it with a different mind (the mind of a kid who's been dumped, fired, and all that), everything then feels different. I don't know. I'm getting drunk.

I just wanted to tell everyone that I'm quitting weed and that's that. There must be some old dude reading this, thinking 'you've only been doing that shyt for 8 years, you little wuss. . . I been at it for 30!' Well, damn. I just hope I can keep it up. Later, y'all.

Spudman
May 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Just wait until you try exercise. Not only is it addictive that THC that is stored in your fat is going to break down and you'll have a totally free buzz that is good for you.:) After that the endorphins will have to get you by...and don't trade weed for JD. That is the worst way to go.

just strum
May 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Spuds right, don't trade one for the other. JD in moderation is fine, but before you do that - replace both with some good healthy walks or just get out and see the neighborhood.

Spuds a health nut and knows his stuff. I'm an anti to anything that makes you lose control. I seldom drink, know drugs, I like to be in control and aware of everything around me. I was just the opposite at one time and once I gained control, I will never go back.

Good luck and keep the head high (boy, that sounds like I'm contradicting myself).

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Just wait until you try exercise. Not only is it addictive that THC that is stored in your fat is going to break down and you'll have a totally free buzz that is good for you.:) After that the endorphins will have to get you by...and don't trade weed for JD. That is the worst way to go.

Hey, don't worry about the weed for JD trade. I've never been a heavy drinker, or a 'drinker' for that matter. Only every now and again. But I am aware that when you give up something like tobacco (an addictive), you need to have something to replace it, at least temporarily. That's the JD. Other than that, JD is a party thing. I used to smoke weed all on my own, and that's when it went out of control. You know it's bad when, for 4 years, you wake up every morning and roll a joint. Even on school-days. Especially on school-days. . . .

I'm gonna get through this.

Epiphone
May 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Right, I did read the rules when I signed up here and know that mention of illegal substances is forbidden, but considering I'm giving them up, I'm sure that makes this post okay.

After over 8 1/2 years (4 years of everyday use) I am giving up weed. I know, it sucks. I've always loved rolling a little doob (I was never a fiend) and then playing some guitar, but I don't have any money, it's getting upgraded as a more punishable drug soon, and I'm starting that course at Uni, so now is the best time to quit. But here's the downside: smoking in America is okay because it's just the weed in the skin and that's that. Here, because everything is so expensive, we mix weed with tobacco. So what was once a drug with only a mild mental-addictiveness has now become a super-drug with a strong physical addiction and a mild mental addiction - and this is how I've been smoking it for 6 years. In the past 3 years, I've given up cigarettes altogether and just smoked joints i.e. just smoked this 'super-drug'. But today is the first day that I have voluntarily gone an entire day without weed in as long as I can remember. And at the moment it is okay because Jack Daniels is by my side. But soon, I hope to go a whole day without feeling the need to pump drugs in me.

I tell you what though. You really forget what you used to do after you have been a stoner for so long. Today I have nearly finished a book I started (today), I've been cleaning my flat for the upcoming move to London, been fixing an old Jackson-Charvel that I've been working on. . . And I haven't even fukcing touched my guitar ALL day! My god!

I tell you the weirdest feeling of all though: this feeling of change. I don't know how exactly to put it to words, but there is an odd atmosphere around here (even though I'm alone), which is probably to do with so many things happening at once. My girlfriend dumped me, lost my job, moving away, giving up a favorite pastime, everything I'm used to is changing (again) but everything feels so familiar yet foreign. It's like, I look at my room now, and nothing has changed physically, but because I look at it with a different mind (the mind of a kid who's been dumped, fired, and all that), everything then feels different. I don't know. I'm getting drunk.

I just wanted to tell everyone that I'm quitting weed and that's that. There must be some old dude reading this, thinking 'you've only been doing that shyt for 8 years, you little wuss. . . I been at it for 30!' Well, damn. I just hope I can keep it up. Later, y'all.Hey bro i feel you. One of my best friends did a bunch of stuff like that until it got us both in trouble. I don't use drugs but he did. One day at school he asked me if i would lock some hallucinogens in my guitar case until the end of the day. BIG MISTAKE!!! someone ratted us out and now we are in bigger trouble than we could imagine. I really regret tryin to help him and i almost didn't want to be his friend anymore. He told me that he is goin to quit smokin and everything else he did. I believe he is because he is changin like you were talkin about. A lot of things are different about him, especially the way he acts. i know how it is to give up something you think you need. I used to smoke cigarettes and when I was quitting my everyday life seemed screwed up because all i wanted to do was smoke a cigarette. It made me quit playin my guitar too. I don't know why that happened but now i'm glad that it has passed. Everything seems better for me now. So all i'm tryin to say is good luck bro.

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hey bro i feel you. One of my best friends did a bunch of stuff like that until it got us both in trouble. I don't use drugs but he did. One day at school he asked me if i would lock some hallucinogens in my guitar case until the end of the day. BIG MISTAKE!!! someone ratted us out and now we are in bigger trouble than we could imagine. I really regret tryin to help him and i almost didn't want to be his friend anymore. He told me that he is goin to quit smokin and everything else he did. I believe he is because he is changin like you were talkin about. A lot of things are different about him, especially the way he acts. i know how it is to give up something you think you need. I used to smoke cigarettes and when I was quitting my everyday life seemed screwed up because all i wanted to do was smoke a cigarette. It made me quit playin my guitar too. I don't know why that happened but now i'm glad that it has passed. Everything seems better for me now. So all i'm tryin to say is good luck bro.

Hey man, it seems like you joined just to make that post and I thank you for that as well as your general support. Giving anything up, whether it's good or bad, is never an easy thing at first. In a week, I'll feel so much better. Right now, though, ALL I want is a sweet little doobie. But I tell you what, I'm drunk now and have just picked up my guitar. . . I remember why I picked this thing up in the first place.
I think everyone here can agree with me. . . this piece of wood with 6 strings is the best thing that ever happened to me. Better than Nat, my ex-girlfriend (but, as much as I hate saying these words, let alone admitting this: I'm still in love with her), better than weed, better than Jack. . . better than jacking off, even. . . and, to me at least, it's better than sex. Well, it is sex, really. Have you ever noticed how similar your relationship with your guitar is to your relationship with your girlfriend/wife/mistress or even your buddies? My guitars are my best friends, my best lovers, and me all at the same time. What more could one want?

Spudman
May 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
What more could one want?

One night with the Queen.

That'll straighten you out.:D :rotflmao:

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
One night with the Queen.

That'll straighten you out.:D :rotflmao:
HAHAHA! Mate, that'll make me want a joint even more! After a night with the ****ing queen, I'd be injecting heroin!!!

player
May 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Been cigarette free since 1984.last real party was in 1969 at Woodstock.a once in a lifetime event and of life's experiments.a lot of them.fooled with herb about a year after every day.leaving music pretty much behind although I had a band everything and everyone seemed different.quit the herb real fast.Whoa how things got better.went cold turkey in 84 and like spud became a health nut.still am.loving music more and more,in fact that is now my addiction and I like it yes I do.Good Luck mate - trust me the end result and future as a whole is better.it is true it has to get bad before it gets good and it will.a simple case of been there and done that.so will you,just know like music nothing happens over night.nothing worthwhile doing ever does it all takes time.how long depends on you but it does and will happen.maybe just maybe I will have a cold one this summer. :beer:

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
This is such a positive forum!

sumitomo
May 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Good for you.I havent smoked now for over 1 yr. never thought Id be free from cigs and I havent drank for over 4 yrs( got tired everyday like that movie groundhog day go to work after work drink beer go home sleep wake up bla bla bla)now Im really glad for another day.I try to live each day as its my last.So Im praying for ya keep it up! Sumi :D

thearabianmage
May 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Groundhog Day was an awesome film! But I have to admit I never felt like that. I just don't like the tiredness that comes with smoking, the forgetfulness, the dopefulness. . . All that. You don't realize when you're smoking it, it's just another joint, but they do make a difference!

Over-all though, today has gone well. I'm about to go to sleep - this is the first time in a long time that I am getting ready to go to sleep without rolling a joint. I used to have trouble sleeping, and weed did help that, but, as a friend put it, it's now just another thing I have to do before I go to bed. . .

Haha! It's all good! My little drinks are wearing off now, as well, so this will also be the first time I've gone to sleep sober in a long time. There's gotta be a first to everything. But I'm gonna read my book. I wanna finish it, I've only ever read a book in 24 hours once and that was Planet of the Apes (the film is, believe it or not, better than the book. . . The ORIGINAL film, I mean. . .) And I wanna do that with this one, as well.

Anyone ever read 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch'? It's okay. . .

marnold
May 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
You've got my support, TAM. I'm fortunate in that the only pot I was ever exposed to is second-hand stuff from metal concerts. My allergies are such that if I smoked anything my rib cage would cave in, so I guess it's a mixed blessing. As a man of the cloth by day, I've counseled with a lot of people who are trying to overcome addictions. The biggest part is just saying, "I'm going to do it." Until you said that, no one could have helped. In the long run you'll save money and you'll save your lungs (amongst other frightfully important organs).

Tone2TheBone
May 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Man you remind me of me in my younger days. Oh I already said that nevermind. They roll doobies in the UK? Really? ;)

helliott
May 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Speaking as someone who's been through several different addictions/obsessions, I can't add much to the wise advice already handed out here. There's only one acceptable obsession in my life, beyond the joy and responsibility that is family, work and community development. That obsession/addiction has six strings and a long neck. Not giving that one up.
Good luck. Lots of folks here are supporting your quest for a fuller life.

Katastrophe
May 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Man, you are doing the right thing. Keep reminding yourself of all the crap you went through as a reason to not go back. You've got a lot ahead of you.

Take advantage of it. And, like others have said, don't rely on Mr. Jack Daniel's to get you out of this. He'll kick you square in the arse, and he's wearing steel toed boots.

Also, if your guitar is your lover, I don't wanna know what you do with it. Kinda creeps me out.:poke: :D

LagrangeCalvert
May 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Good for you for quitting.....

I had a pill addiction that was horrible for about 3 years and .... it took me loosing my Job, my mother to lung cancer, and my sanity before I weened myself off - less than 4 months ago - narcotics (oxycotin's mainly) and benzo's (zanex/atavan).....my pill habit was horrible and it was killing me slowly. I still smoke some really good chronic - on the weekends only.

As a former user/still pot smoker......you will also know how much money it took as well. And how much better you feel in the end.

LC

Bloozcat
May 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Every now and then I run into old friends who've never quit. It's like going through a time warp in talking to them, because they're emotionally and psychologically arrested. It's like they're frozen back in the time when they first started getting high. Life just doesn't seem to have evolved for them as it has for everyone else. Sad thing is, they don't seem to notice, or they don't care (probably the latter).

Tone2TheBone
May 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Every now and then I run into old friends who've never quit. It's like going through a time warp in talking to them, because they're emotionally and psychologically arrested. It's like they're frozen back in the time when they first started getting high. Life just doesn't seem to have evolved for them as it has for everyone else. Sad thing is, they don't seem to notice, or they don't care (probably the latter).

I know exactly what you mean. We have friends our age or older that STILL do it and we're just baffled. :confused: I mean come on...smoking Mary Jane went out with the 70s man! Get with the program!

Spudman
May 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM

Far out. I never knew that.:messedup: :)

Bloozcat
May 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Far out. I never knew that.:messedup: :)

:rotflmao:

TS808
May 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I used to smoke alot of weed when I was in college many years ago. Although it was fun at the time, looking back, I can't think of one thing positive that it did for me to be honest....Last time I smoked weed I was 21 years old...now I'm 48.

Here's the kicker: I worked 21 years in addictions treatment, as a therapist and later on as my career progressed, I managed two outpatient programs. I don't work in the addictions field anymore. I've been on both sides of the fence: someone who used to smoke, and then someone who later on spent almost half of my life trying to help people get off of drugs.

I give you alot of credit for quitting....it can only make things better and I wish you the best.

When the initial studies were done on weed in the 60's, the THC content back then was about 2-3%....the government for their research didn't grow very good marijuana!! Nowadays, the average THC content in weed is about 19% so it's a much more potent drug than it was back in the 60's when the initial research was done.

All you did was make life better for yourself by quitting (your lungs will thank you!!). Again, best of luck!! :AOK:

thearabianmage
May 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Tetrahydracannibanol. . . . . . .

ted s
May 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
You can do it ! We're root'n for ya !